Andy Reid - should he be in the Ireland squad?

Started by sammymaguire, September 28, 2009, 09:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

The Irish soccer squad reminds me of the Irish rugby squad in the past when it was harder to get off the team than to get on it.

Billys Boots

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2009, 02:26:41 PM
There's no doubt he should be in the squad but with Jack Mark II managing he will probably not play for his country for years. The man I'm surprised at is Liam Brady. He should know better after the way Jack treated him. He is part of this setup and is basically agreeing that Liam Miller has more to offer than Andy Reid which any sane person couldn't agree with.

Agreed, the only one who should be ahead of him in the pecking order in wide midfield is Duff (and that's debatable).  He's in form, and is potentially lethal. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Very disappointed in the management team that Reid wasn't picked in the squad this time.

I think Trap had a right to drop him for discipline reasons and had a right not to pick him when he couldnt nail down a starting place at his club (even if he picked other lads in similar siutations). But now that he's playing every game for Sunderland, and playing the full 90 minutes in most, and playing quite well in most, its getting towards "a disgrace" that he's not in the squad. There can no longer be any argument thats he's out for football reasons, and IMO that's a poor reflection on the management team.

Main Street

Overall the management team have done very well.
It's taking a bit slower than the team under Jack, to settle into a rhythm.
We are in a good position and a fair enough chance to get to the WC.
Take it or leave it, it's a dumbed down game plan for our dumbed down players to slot into when they turn up for international duty and it is getting results.
Not even his club risk Andy at CM at home against the likes of Wolves. 
Trap is not going to digress from his central midfield policy, not even to replace one of them with A Reid during a game. He said that clearly after the Montenegro game.
In Montenegro he would have replaced one of the front men and put Andy on in front of midfield,  but now there are the Folan and Best options.
If A Reid was to come on in a game he would be a replacement for one of the wide players, who have demonstrated to Trap their understanding of what he wants them to do. Somewhere along the line, Andy got out of favour, he went from being a sub on the bench to a cast out who will have to bide his time.

SLIGONIAN

Not related FB, just love the way he plays the game, ya lads will say wolves yday, but wolves pretty much played sunderland off the park, but reids creativity opened up wolves on every occasion, he several long range passes that I thought were awesome, i dont really see him as winger and he rarely went into a wide position yday.

Its clear to me its not a football decision and that annoys me. Hes another tactic, option, something we really dont have in the squad. And we could need him or use him. Trap has done a good job besides this i will say.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tommy Tight Lips

i cannot see how anyone can make a constructive argument not to have andy reid on the ireland squad given some of the players on it ahead of him - andy keogh,liam miller(without a club for a long time until recently),darren gibson.
IMO hes quite a bit ahead of andrews and glenn whelen in terms of talent/ability whatever you want to call it although his work rate hasnt always been the best.i would definitely have him starting in the irish 11 but everyone has their own opinion.
so what if him and trappatoni had a bust up,i think trappatonis unbelievably stubborn attitude to team selection and tactics is going to cost us dearly somewhere down the line.
surely with the money trappatoni is being paid he can kiss and make up with andy reid.lee carsley also very unlucky not to be in the squad as is keith fahey and the young guy mccann at burnley shouldnt be far away either.sadly i cant see trapp changing his ways....

slow corner back

Gibson is a good young player with potential, can pass a ball and can put the foot in which Trap likes also scores a few long range goals. Liam Miller on the other hand has very little to offer. Is the mcCann at Burnley not crocked at the minute?

Main Street

Miller is there as cover, nothing more nothing less. He impressed enough in a friendly against Nigeria.
Trap says he wants Miller as cover, a smart enough player who understands the system and will know what to do should he be called upon.