British Isles, Western European Isles, North Atlantic Isles

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 26, 2009, 11:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2009, 07:52:40 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 27, 2009, 06:49:03 PM
What really pisses me off is the way the press refer to Lithuanians, Romanians, east Europeans, blacks as 'foreign nationals' especially in court reports but wouldn't describe someone from USA or Australia as 'foreign national.'  Is like a derogatory term.

Good point.

Dub girls I lived with in the US would refer to Eastern Europeans as 'foreigners', when it was pointed out that they weren't US citizens either one said 'you know what I mean, the ones that speak foreign languages.'

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rav67 on September 27, 2009, 08:58:16 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2009, 07:52:40 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 27, 2009, 06:49:03 PM
What really pisses me off is the way the press refer to Lithuanians, Romanians, east Europeans, blacks as 'foreign nationals' especially in court reports but wouldn't describe someone from USA or Australia as 'foreign national.'  Is like a derogatory term.

Good point.

Dub girls I lived with in the US would refer to Eastern Europeans as 'foreigners', when it was pointed out that they weren't US citizens either one said 'you know what I mean, the ones that speak foreign languages.'

I remember that when I lived in Australia it was quite common for English people to refer to Asians, Africans, Indians etc. as foreigners even Germans, French & Italians. I would say what about us, they would usually say the same "you know what I mean, people from outside the Commonwealth" I'd point out that I wasn't from the Commonwealth but the Indians where, they always seemed confused.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

dillinger

Rem lisitening to a dj on RTE radio having to say sorry to some people that were offended when he referfed to the british isles, including Ireland in it. Old habbits do die hard.

magickingdom

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 27, 2009, 12:01:30 AM
Easily annoyed lads.

it doesnt bother me but its not a term i'd use.

i see on telly this w/e great britian & Ireland were playing europe in the golf. not quite sure how that works

Lawrence of Knockbride

Yes Britain & Ireland were playing golf together and they were called Britain & Ireland. When Britain & Ireland play rugby together they're called the British & Irish Lions. I hate the term British Isles when it refers to Britain and Ireland because Ireland is not a British Isle-it's fairly simple. I'd point it out to anyone that is ignorant to the fact.
And the Ulster thing also pisses me off. In fact, people from certain areas of Ireland are actually confused to what province Cavan is in. "Yeah, but you're from Leinster though aren't you" I've been asked more than once.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magickingdom on September 27, 2009, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 27, 2009, 12:01:30 AM
Easily annoyed lads.

it doesnt bother me but its not a term i'd use.

i see on telly this w/e great britian & Ireland were playing europe in the golf. not quite sure how that works
In reality it's generally a common term to describe this area anyway, apart from in books as J70 said, geology of the British Isles etc.

For the golf they could have just said the British Isles v Rest of Europe  ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 27, 2009, 11:08:55 PM
And the Ulster thing also pisses me off. In fact, people from certain areas of Ireland are actually confused to what province Cavan is in. "Yeah, but you're from Leinster though aren't you" I've been asked more than once.
If only.

:P

stephenite

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 11:35:56 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 27, 2009, 07:32:52 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 01:24:24 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 26, 2009, 11:48:55 PM
Couldn't give a bollocks. Its a pretty standard, long established geographical name and it makes sense to treat the islands as a group or even unit, whether you're talking about science or trade and economics or whatever. If anyone for whom this is an issue ever plans on studying ecology or geology, they'd better thicken their skin in preparation for courses and books on biogeography of the British Isles, flora of the British Isles, atlases of the birds or bumblebees of the British Isles etc. etc!

Ah ffs getting bored with your dick and dora veiw on things.
Your a yank and coming "home" once every couple of years doesn't make yo a person who can comment on Irish affairs!
Really sorry for having to say this but your constant "fencing" and "west brit" edidedness is starting to get annoying.

Big words from the drunken coward :-*

Really, your a bit of an internet warrior yourself Stephenite, was it the westbrit reference that stung?

Not at all, why would that reference sting?

Why did you delete the thread you started after last weeks drinking session complaining about the Mods?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: stephenite on September 28, 2009, 12:27:29 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 11:35:56 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 27, 2009, 07:32:52 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 27, 2009, 01:24:24 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 26, 2009, 11:48:55 PM
Couldn't give a bollocks. Its a pretty standard, long established geographical name and it makes sense to treat the islands as a group or even unit, whether you're talking about science or trade and economics or whatever. If anyone for whom this is an issue ever plans on studying ecology or geology, they'd better thicken their skin in preparation for courses and books on biogeography of the British Isles, flora of the British Isles, atlases of the birds or bumblebees of the British Isles etc. etc!

Ah ffs getting bored with your dick and dora veiw on things.
Your a yank and coming "home" once every couple of years doesn't make yo a person who can comment on Irish affairs!
Really sorry for having to say this but your constant "fencing" and "west brit" edidedness is starting to get annoying.

Big words from the drunken coward :-*

Really, your a bit of an internet warrior yourself Stephenite, was it the westbrit reference that stung?

Not at all, why would that reference sting?

Why did you delete the thread you started after last weeks drinking session complaining about the Mods?

I'll PM you a reply as don't want this thread to go off topic.
Tbc....

Aerlik

When asked what foreign countries I have visited I always start with England, Scotland, Wales.  That always gets  a response to which I politely say they are separate countries.  Usually does the trick.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Puckoon

GDA, in the interests of parity, I'd like you to know that most Americans with an ounce of wit, don't take kindly to the ease at which the term "Yank" trips of the tongue of most people from the British isles. And Ireland.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 27, 2009, 11:08:55 PM
If only.

:P
Easy now Maguire. You make it sound like we're a threat ;D

armaghniac

QuoteAmericans with an ounce of wit,

Is that a large number?

Personally I think they should introduce grammes of wit.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lazer

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2009, 05:05:28 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 26, 2009, 11:26:07 PM
Of all the terminlogy, this is the one that grates me the most.

The next time you say America instead of the US or the States give yourself a bollocking.

It is quite correct to say America in reference to visiting any country in North or South America.

Personally I don't like the term US or the states, The USA is not the only country made up of united states.

As for including Ireland in the British isles - i've no real problem with that.

References to Ulster - meaning the 6 counties really annoys me
And references to Nirthern Ireland part of Britain also really annoys me!

Its not that difficult to know what Britain/UK/British isles etc actually consist of
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Lazer on September 28, 2009, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2009, 05:05:28 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 26, 2009, 11:26:07 PM
Of all the terminlogy, this is the one that grates me the most.

The next time you say America instead of the US or the States give yourself a bollocking.

It is quite correct to say America in reference to visiting any country in North or South America.

Personally I don't like the term US or the states, The USA is not the only country made up of united states.

As for including Ireland in the British isles - i've no real problem with that.

References to Ulster - meaning the 6 counties really annoys me
And references to Nirthern Ireland part of Britain also really annoys me!

Its not that difficult to know what Britain/UK/British isles etc actually consist of

Mexico's real name (in the English lanuage) is The United States of Mexico.

I quite like the fact that the U.S.A. as Gailge is S.A.M. (as in Uncle SAM).

On a slightly different note the official name of the Queen as in relation to Australia is the Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, at least the British had the respect to alter the official title, even if they took 6-7 years after Independence to get around to it.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.