The Apostrophe

Started by ONeill, September 24, 2009, 02:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2009, 03:38:42 PM
I get the impression (from my kids homework etc.) that there's a comparative lack (with my own recollections) of emphasis on spellings nowadays.

Ya well I can tell ya for certain it must have been bad for quite a while. I got an B1 in English in the leaving well over a decade ago, but I can't spell for shit
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 15, 2009, 04:41:51 PM
I get the impression (from my kids homework etc.) that there's a comparative lack (with my own recollections) of emphasis on spellings nowadays.

Ya well I can tell ya for certain it must have been bad for quite a while. I got an B1 in English in the leaving well over a decade ago, but I can't spell for shit

grammar u not good.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 15, 2009, 02:19:52 PM
The use of the apostrophe in the anglicized Irish names is an incorrect application as far as I understand, another example of the English not checking with the natives first. I also hate when Mac (Mc) & O names applied as such O'neill, Mac'donald, Mcdonald. The Neill or Donald is separate words from the O or Mac/Mc.

Couldn't agree more, an abomination is the concatenation of separate and distinct Irish words into an anglicised mélange. I'd say, however, that the English did check with the natives first, and then did what they normally did where the Irish and their preferences were concerned. The very opposite.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on December 15, 2009, 05:01:05 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 15, 2009, 04:41:51 PM

grammar u not good.

ha ha I never noticed I used "an" instead of "a", my poor grammar on this board is a result of laziness. My poor spelling is a result of poor spelling.

Billys Boots

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on December 15, 2009, 03:43:18 PM
Billy you're sailing close to the apostrophe wind with that user name...Billy's????

When I joined many moons ago we weren't allowed use apostrophes in usernames - don't know if we are now.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2009, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on December 15, 2009, 03:43:18 PM
Billy you're sailing close to the apostrophe wind with that user name...Billy's????

When I joined many moons ago we weren't allowed use apostrophes in usernames - don't know if we are now.

Mods  ::)
MWWSI 2017

cornafean

Quote from: leenie on September 24, 2009, 02:53:57 PM

I must really wreck your head then!

It wreck's mine. It surely doe's.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 15, 2009, 05:26:46 PM
The use of the apostrophe in the anglicized Irish names is an incorrect application as far as I understand, another example of the English not checking with the natives first. I also hate when Mac (Mc) & O names applied as such O'neill, Mac'donald, Mcdonald. The Neill or Donald is separate words from the O or Mac/Mc.

Couldn't agree more, an abomination is the concatenation of separate and distinct Irish words into an anglicised mélange. I'd say, however, that the English did check with the natives first, and then did what they normally did where the Irish and their preferences were concerned. The very opposite.

Reveal a bit more here. So, what should I call myself from now on? O Neill? or ONeill?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Stick a feather duster up your arse and call yourself a shuttlecock.

(I hope Eugene McGee isn't reading).

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2009, 11:54:49 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 15, 2009, 05:26:46 PM

Reveal a bit more here. So, what should I call myself from now on? O Neill? or ONeill?

O Neill should be the correct anglicisation, O'Neill is the accepted, I would not be an expert on the correct Irish spelling. This is of particular annoyance to me as I am of the Mac/Mc/O surnames myself.

Denn Forever

O Neill should be the correct anglicisation, O'Neill is the accepted, I would not be an expert on the correct Irish spelling. This is of particular annoyance to me as I am of the Mac/Mc/O surnames myself.

I reckon Microsoft will harmonise all spelling as the hand written script is decling.  Would write Mc (my surname) when signing cheques but Microsoft spells it Mc(my surname).

Talkking of cheques, after 2018 there wont be anymore cheques.  Who'd have thought.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 16, 2009, 04:13:06 PM

I reckon Microsoft will harmonise all spelling as the hand written script is decling.  Would write Mc (my surname) when signing cheques but Microsoft spells it Mc(my surname).

Talkking of cheques, after 2018 there wont be anymore cheques.  Who'd have thought.

This will lead to the death of one of the great lies "The cheque's in the post"
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

saffron sam2

Went past a home bakery this morning where you could buy Christmas Loave's.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

All hope is lost.

North Main Street, Cork: