Magpies' Marty Clarke heads home to Ireland

Started by snatter, September 24, 2009, 08:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Thats the thing about this 'Irish experiment'. There must be so many young Aussies who would love to get on an AFL team that have played the game since they were no bigger than a Sherrin.

For the Irish lads who get offered contracts, they never played the game, might never have even bothered watching it. What's their motivation.  Just money and the lifestyle?

How much does Tommy Walsh love Australian Rules football? What gets you through the hard knocks, the injuries, loss of form, the abuse from fans. A pay cheque or the love of the game?

I don't want to suggust these lads are of poor character but when the going gets tough is the desire there. I would also imagine that for every Irish recruit there must be 100's of Australian lads just as well equipped if not better to play in the AFL.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 06, 2009, 11:05:16 AM
Quote from: Daicos Mullets on November 06, 2009, 10:05:46 AM
Gutted that Marty has left, he was well loved at the Pies, a real favourite with the Collingwood faithful.

Good luck to the young bloke whatever he turns his hand to.

Don't forget, the door's open at the Magpies if you ever want to return Marty! :)

Any chance youse could take him back before next Thursday night :-\

Think of the gate receipts your old friends in the Shamrocks will get just because he is playing. Martys homecoming is a win win situation for everyone, unless you are from Ballyholland.  ;)
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

North Longford

I saw an U21 challenge match last week where Michael Quinn played for his club. He's on holidays at the moment Amazing how much he has bulked up in a year in Australia. Kicked a couple of bad wides though. Hard to get used to that bloody round ball!

Maiden1

Quote from: thejuice on November 06, 2009, 11:27:05 AM
Thats the thing about this 'Irish experiment'. There must be so many young Aussies who would love to get on an AFL team that have played the game since they were no bigger than a Sherrin.

For the Irish lads who get offered contracts, they never played the game, might never have even bothered watching it. What's their motivation.  Just money and the lifestyle?

How much does Tommy Walsh love Australian Rules football? What gets you through the hard knocks, the injuries, loss of form, the abuse from fans. A pay cheque or the love of the game?
I don't want to suggust these lads are of poor character but when the going gets tough is the desire there. I would also imagine that for every Irish recruit there must be 100's of Australian lads just as well equipped if not better to play in the AFL.

Given the choice between working in a bank or on a building site in the pissing rain and getting paid to play football in a warm country most young guys would jump at the chance to play football.  If it doesn't work out they will have done what a lot of young Irish people have done and worked in Australia for a couple of years.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

unitedireland

heard from a player he was ok against fermanagh but more to come im sure