Magpies' Marty Clarke heads home to Ireland

Started by snatter, September 24, 2009, 08:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-marty-clarke-heads-home-to-ireland/story-e6frf8w6-1225779189364

BREAKING NEWS: MARTY Clarke has walked out on the Magpies, citing homesickness and a "burning" desire to be a teacher.

The Irish-born onballer has spent three years at the Lexus Centre, but he said he missed his family too much, and so was leaving immediately to return to his homeland.

"My decision to return home was not an easy one. But I simply miss my home and the people close to me too much," Clarke said in a statement on the club's website.

"I also have a burning desire to be a teacher and I want to start that stage of my life as soon as possible."

After a stunning first year in the league, Clarke has struggled to cement his place in the side and said today his homesickness had affected his play.

"The latter stages of this year were forgettable ones on a football level. I suppose the uncertainty in my mind didn't help," he said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* NFL punting: Rocca to take punt
    * Comment: Pies face tough calls on list

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Clarke, who was a star in underage Gaelic football, said he looked forward to returning to his native game.

"I am also looking forward to playing Gaelic football again. I strongly believe my best moments of my sporting life are ahead of me and at this stage and I want to show them on the GAA stage," he said.

Clarke, who turns 22 in November, played 46 games with the Magpies.

He made his AFL debut in round 12, 2007 against Sydney after being temporarily elevated to the senior list due to a long-term injury, and earned a permanent spot on the senior list for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Clarke's last AFL game was against Sydney in Round 12 this year and he was named as an emergency for the preliminary final against Geelong.

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

BennyHarp

Will be good to see him back!!

This is an interesting story to read for any young GAA lads thinking of heading over, blinded by promises of stardom and a professional lifestyle. It is obviously extremely hard work to make it over there and even when you do, its even harder to maintain it!

Down and Ulster football will be better for his return and good luck to him!
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 24, 2009, 09:05:17 AM
Will be good to see him back!!

This is an interesting story to read for any young GAA lads thinking of heading over, blinded by promises of stardom and a professional lifestyle. It is obviously extremely hard work to make it over there and even when you do, its even harder to maintain it!

Down and Ulster football will be better for his return and good luck to him!

Any young gaelic footballers should take note. This remember is somebody who actually made it over there. Great news for Down and Gaelic Football- best minor I've ever saw.

Final Whistle

Great news, love seeing him play.

What price down for the all-ireand???

ONeill

a "burning" desire to be a teacher.

His head's cut.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aerlik

Good luck to him.  Unfortunately I never got to see him play - collingwood are notorious for not travelling outside of Melbourne- over here, but enjoyed his games on TV, (especially when they were losing).  He was the only reason I watched Pies games.

The issue with lads coming over here is not the game but professionalism, especially in Melbourne where you cant fart without it being in the press.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Tubberman

There was a story on hoganstand a couple of week's back saying Pearce Hanley had signed a 2-year contract.
But apparently that's untrue (according to The Mayo News), anyone know what his chances are of getting a new contract out there?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Final Whistle on September 24, 2009, 09:39:11 AM
Great news, love seeing him play.

What price down for the all-ireand???

great player but knew it wouldn't be long before we heard this silly talk!

rrhf

£100 on St Marys for the sigerson... eh Whos laughing now?
By the way any truth that he has a house bought in Carmen? 

off the laces

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2009, 09:49:22 AM

His head's cut.
he's just looking at it for the holiday's...lol
Keeps 'er' straight

gerry

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2009, 09:49:22 AM

His head's cut.

all those weeks of on holidays is a real bummer
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

great news, it goes to show that all those fields are not green
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

whiskeysteve

Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2009, 10:24:14 AM
£100 on St Marys for the sigerson... eh Whos laughing now?
By the way any truth that he has a house bought in Carmen?

I am.  :D  You may as well have burnt £100.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

orangeman

Really looking forward to seing him play again.

It will be some boost for club and county.