Footballer of the Year 2009

Started by rrhf, September 24, 2009, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 24, 2009, 04:04:09 PM
i think that galvin will get it .Mike mc Carthy has been brilliant since he came back without him i don't think Kerry would be Ai champions
would agree with that, mccarthy had a great influence on kerry this year but cant see him getting POTY
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Galvin by a mile for me. Beyond that Tommy Walsh maybe.

Billy I don't mean to pick on you twice in one day, on two different subjects, but IMHO Tom Sé had a very ordinary year. He played for the last 15 minutes against Sligo but was lucky to not have been subbed before that. I thought he was anonymous all year until his admittedly good AIF.

Galvin was there all year and still did the usual in the final against what looked like the best half backline we had seen for years, until that final. That on the back of being demonised in all quarters last year, including on this board and probably by myself as well, is some way to silence your critics.
MWWSI 2017

ross matt

I like Galvin as a player and agree that he had an excellent year. But he should'nt be getting player of the year as a "reward" for behaving himself this season. I thought Canty had a hugely influential year in terms of leading by example etc even though he was poor by his own standards in the AI final. In terms of standout performances Dermot Early has got to be a contender.

Apple Crumble

Quote from: ross matt on September 24, 2009, 05:35:08 PM
I like Galvin as a player and agree that he had an excellent year. But he should'nt be getting player of the year as a "reward" for behaving himself this season. I thought Canty had a hugely influential year in terms of leading by example etc even though he was poor by his own standards in the AI final. In terms of standout performances Dermot Early has got to be a contender.

Canty by a mile.

Donnellys Hollow

Tomás Ó Sé for me.

Our own Dermot Earley deserves a nomination. Consistently brilliant all season for a guy that has been cursed with both injury and illness down the years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Galvin's a shoo-in I'd say, and last year's antics are of no relevance at all, quite the reverse.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SuperDooperCooper

Tomas for me. He consistently topped the stat categories each game (breaks won, touches, completed passes etc).
No Kerry player touched the ball as much as Tomas in the 09 championship.
He point scoring and ball carring are magestic as well.
I think Galvin will get it as papers like the rehabilation angle. Plus if the red mist decends in 2010 it will provide them with an even better story.

muppet

I never said he should get it because of last year, I said he should get it because he was consistently playing well for Kerry even against Sligo and Antrim when other big names went awol.

My point about last year was a reminder about his impressive response to an 'annus horribilis'.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Galvin wasa up to the same antics this year and was booked in nearly every game including the final where he really should have been sent off after not even getting a booking for a ridiculous high tackle in the first half. If he gets player of the year and is representative of what is best in our sport then Pat Spillane's puke football is alive and well!!
That was never a square ball!!

RedandGreenSniper

Kerry have had a few players who have played well from the quarter finals on - Tommy Walsh, Tadhg Kennelly, Cooper, T O Se, T O'Sullivan. Galvin was good in all of these games. Very good actually. But against Longford, Sligo and Antrim he brought Kerry through by sheer force of will. Say waht you want about his life on the edge, he's the single biggest reason Kerry are All-Ireland champions.
The sending off against Cork might not help though.

If either Canty or Pearse O'Neill had even a middling final, they could be in but they had a mare and can't be considered.

Dermot Earley may have an outside chance but its hard not to think its a shoo-in for Galvin. It might make for good headlines and a great story of a comeback but it also makes sense, most importantly of all.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ONeill

From tomorrow's paper:

The GAA fraternity was stunned last night with the late addition of Peter Canavan to the short list for Player of the Year, 14 years after his initial award. The six-times All-Star winner has been recognised for his attempts to recapture the glory days with his home club, Errigal Ciaran, albeit from the sideline as manager. He joins Tomas O Se, Paul Galvin and Graham Canty as possible winners but was immediately installed 7-4 favourite by Paddy Power.

Defending this unprecedented move, a Croke Park official said, "our respected journalists see fit to include Peter the Great as a potential Player-of-the-Year and rightly so. Although his playing days are behind him, Canavan has been known for miraculous feats when it comes to this awards process and it's no surprise that he has worked his way into the journalists' hearts once again."

Canavan, 53, was unavailable for comment.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 24, 2009, 06:27:45 PM
Galvin's a shoo-in I'd say, and last year's antics are of no relevance at all, quite the reverse.

That seemed to be the case after the All Ireland. THey were queing up to praise his work this year more than anyone else. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get but I'd give it to O'Sé.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Zapatista on September 25, 2009, 10:55:50 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 24, 2009, 06:27:45 PM

That seemed to be the case after the All Ireland. THey were queing up to praise his work this year more than anyone else. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get but I'd give it to O'Sé.
didnt think o'se had a good year at all this year apart from the final, both galvin & canty would be miles ahead of him this year in my book
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ross matt

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2009, 08:48:05 PM

I never said he should get it because of last year, I said he should get it because he was consistently playing well for Kerry even against Sligo and Antrim when other big names went awol.

My point about last year was a reminder about his impressive response to an 'annus horribilis'.

Relax Muppet. Was'nt getting at you or your point specifically. But the reformed character angle was mentioned extensively in the media and by posters here. Whilst I think he deserves to be nominated on merit I still think his 2010 v 2009 behavioural turnaround will be a factor if he wins it. Over the entire season I think Canty should win it. Very disappointed Early didnt get a nomination ahead of Tomas o'Se who despite an excellent AI final didnt have a great year overall.