Footballer of the Year 2009

Started by rrhf, September 24, 2009, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

There seemed to be a commentry leaning towards Galvin or "Dooher lite" as we call him in Tyrone as footballe of the Year.  He had a fantastic season this year and to me he is a shoo in. .  Who are the other contenders in 2009 especially from a Kerry perspective?

blewuporstuffed

a few cork fellas had a great year (miskella, o'neill,canty), but a poor all ireland final always seems to rule you out for player of the year.
on the other hand, very few kerry players had a great year, but a few turned in good performances in the latter stages (galvin,o'sulivan,kenelly)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rrhf

Walsh had 2 great games in the run in as well.  Kennelly would be the big story.  I think O Neill just dindnt count when it mattered despite an exceptional season throughout. 

Billys Boots

Tomás Ó'Sé was consistently good as well as Galvin. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

Was just thinking about footballer of the year last night - nobody really stands out like in previous years! Will have to be one of the Kerry lads i suppose as they are champions, but it was really a team effort from Kerry this year with different people showing up at different stages! But if Paul Galvin gets player of the year it will be a black day for the GAA!!
That was never a square ball!!

sammymaguire

Tom O'Sullivan - uncompromising corner-back who won every ball in the A-I Final and was MOTM in my opinion 

No-one else outshone him this year
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

gorm agus bui

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 24, 2009, 09:10:18 AM
Was just thinking about footballer of the year last night - nobody really stands out like in previous years! Will have to be one of the Kerry lads i suppose as they are champions, but it was really a team effort from Kerry this year with different people showing up at different stages! But if Paul Galvin gets player of the year it will be a black day for the GAA!!
I must agree Benny.
do not think we had a stand out performer this year at all.
Several players had a couple of good games.
Galvin has been touted but this is a media campaign since day 1. Walsh had a couple of good games as did Dermot Earley, Michael Murphy, Tomas O'Se but there was no player who set the Championhsip alight

cornafean

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 24, 2009, 09:10:18 AM
But if Paul Galvin gets player of the year it will be a black day for the GAA!!

I don't agree.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Croí na hÉireann

I know he didn't have a great final (and that's because Kerry shut him down by sacrificing Darran O'Sullivan who kept him out of harms way) but Miskella would still get my POTY vote, thought he was outstanding in every other game. Tomás O'Sé or probably Galvin will get it though, Kennelly didn't play enough games IMO...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

marym

Winner does not have to be from Kerry . Dan Shanahan got it one year for Waterford. Have nothing against Galvin but do not think  a Player of the Year should get a red card.

orangeman

Paul Galvin - everybody would love him on their team if they were honest.

backdoor

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 24, 2009, 09:12:47 AM
Tom O'Sullivan - uncompromising corner-back who won every ball in the A-I Final and was MOTM in my opinion 

No-one else outshone him this year
Would have to agree there Sammy, class act

sammymaguire

Quote from: greeny on September 24, 2009, 02:03:46 PM
Ryan Carson for Footballer of the year 09. Fermanagh no 14.

Put on a real masterclass V Down in Ulster Championship preliminary round.

quality!!  :-[ I don't even think he is Player of the Year in Fermanagh but he had a great day that day in Brewster  :D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

magpie seanie

Paul Galvin should get it and fully deserves it for the way he has played and for the way he has conducted himself this season. When Kerry were playing rubbish against Longford, ourselves and Antrim he was still playing well. Can't remember him having a bad game and probably performed better the greater the need was for his team. It would have been easy for him to have a chipon his shoulder over last year but if he does it didn't show. Well done lad.

Remarks like
Quoteif Paul Galvin gets player of the year it will be a black day for the GAA!!
are absolute tripe in my book unless you think anyone who commits any crime should be in jail for life. 

the Deel Rover

i think that galvin will get it .Mike mc Carthy has been brilliant since he came back without him i don't think Kerry would be Ai champions
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001