Campbell makes Notts County exit

Started by Hoof Hearted, September 23, 2009, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Campbell changed his mind after only one game in a Notts County shirt
Sol Campbell has left Notts County by mutual consent after playing only one game for the League Two club.

Executive chairman Peter Trembling told the club website Campbell "could not adjust to the long-term nature of the project under way at Notts County".

The 35-year-old former Tottenham and Arsenal player arrived as a free agent in August to team up with former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

----------------------------------

what the f**k was he expecting, premiership + champions league titles within 4 or 5 years.

But his debut, a 2-1 loss at Morecambe, also turned out to be his last game.

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

An Gaeilgoir

Maybe the shirts were too heavy to lift.......... ;)

orangeman

Rav67

Had been looking forward to seeing him in a League 2 game to see if he stood out much ability-wise.  Eriksson will be the next to go as soon as he gets offered another managerial job.

PadraicHenryPearse

sven is a shareholder so i don't think he will follow so quick. Campbell has always had questions over his mental attitude and i think playing at league two was a step to far for him. hopefully notts county will still climb up the leagues. As trembling said this is not a 5 week project its a 5 year project.

playwiththewind1st

Whoever offered him a 5 yr contract at £40K a week in the 1st place should get his head examined - quickly.

PadraicHenryPearse

i believe the 40k a week is a media invention and he was not on that much. The 5 yr deal i believe included him becoming a coach and possibily a manager.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 03:26:10 PM
Don't understand this. With the manager under pressure (did you know he once played for Cliftonville), I thought there was a prime opportunity coming up shortly for Sol to commence his managerial career.

PS Once saw Notts Co plying at Anfield (Martin O'Neill was in midfield, Seamus Mc Donagh in goal) and getting thumped 5 nil by Souness and Dalglish and Co

How long before spurs resign him?

bingobus

Said yesterday that the football league has stated that he can't sign for another club before Jan.

Campbell is one of the most money mad players in a crazy era of money mad footballers. Don't think he has ever cost a club a pound in actual transfer fees. He always leaves on a free and signs for a club. When he told Arse he wanted to leave, they let him on the understanding that he was off to spain but a few months later he signs for portsmouth who had money at the time.

He has no interest in football at this stage and obviously realised the hard work he would have to do after just one game.

PadraicHenryPearse

Notts County are not a shit team, as  our chairman and i posted earlier its a 5 year plan not a 5 week one. Sol's wasn't up for it, he wanted to leave so we let him go. He knew what he was joining as he took 5 weeks to agree to come and then waited 5 weeks to leave. Sol is just an idiot...........