Armagh county of the decade

Started by tyroneman, September 22, 2009, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: illdecide on September 23, 2009, 12:51:52 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on September 22, 2009, 05:32:19 PM
Between 2000 and 2009 across senior, minor and u21 - heaneys criteria - Tyrone have 26 trophies to armaghs 15. Last census showed Tyrone 166k armagh 159k. Both primarily football counties. Now tell me hes not a wum

Lads you are forgetting that from that 159k population about 100k of them are orange bastids (no pun intended) :D

43% of County Armagh is of Roman Catholic back ground. I'm not sure what Tyrone's make up is, but it's one of the 4 Ulster counties which is predominantly of RC background.

armaghniac

Leaving out anti Irish bigots Tyrone has over 100,000 to pick from, about 70% of their population. A similar population to Kerry or Mayo. Population is important, apart from Armagh AI finals since Roscommon and Offaly in the early 80's have only involved counties with more than 100,000 to pick from.

Someone might mention Derry and Down, Derry have a big population to pick from, they just haven't interested them in Gaelic games. The relevant population of Down is harder to calculate, even apart from their tendency to try and take part of Armagh as Down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

supersarsfields

Ok we'll even it out for next time.

we'll give fermanagh Dromore
Armagh get the Moy (Fully)
Donegal can hold on to Strabane and sure Derry have already been sorted.

That should even things up!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: botman on September 23, 2009, 10:14:49 AM
Armagh are probably chokers of the decade.

Thought that would be reserved for us!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

This trash writing by Heaney is a classic example of journalists not having to be answerable for any faecetious articles that they come up with.  Paddys effort is an example of how much influence Pat  Spillane has had over GAA journalism over the past decade.  I will stop buying the paper  for fear of the influence spreading to myself, I would never want to think like these people.  Why cant Tom Humphries move to the North?  Is the papers that bereft of talent that Heaneys musings are as good as its going to get.  What happened to the "entertaiining" football diary they had, Donny Donnybrook or whatever they called him - crap journalism  as well.   

botman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 02:04:55 PM
The point Heaney was trying to make and it is entirel valid that Tyrone a county with a huge GAA tradition and catchment area (by far the biggest in the 6 counties) has drastcially underachieved whereas Armagh, certainly in the last decade, have achieved success way beyond their natural resources and deserve to be called Ulster's Top GAA County at this point in time (it is also the only GAA County in Ulster that currently holds a significant All Ireland title).

I think he has an entirely valid point.

In terms of Championship head to head meetings from 2000 onwards, Tyrone and Armagh have met 9 times, Tyrone have four wins, Armagh three and there have been two draws. Therefore in terms of senior team meetings alone in the Championship Tyrone's advantage over Armagh is marginal and attributable wholly to biased refereeing in the 2003 AI Final and 2005 AI semi final. Case rested.

The best part of this statement is that he actually believes this.  :D
Keep them at it.

ziggysego

The thing about Paddy is, he's a Derry man first and foremost. And like most Derry people, he's having a little gloat at Tyrone.

Armagh had a good run and they most be commended for making a most of their small resources - Crossmaglen. Now that that tap has stopped running, so has the Armagh team. Sure, they won U21 & Minor titles in recent years (and congratulations to the Minors) but it remains to be seen will the make it to the Senior squad.
Testing Accessibility

bingobus

I haven't read this thread but it seems that a serious bit of fishing is going on ;D

longrunsthefox

with Paddy Heaney supplying the bait...l

SidelineKick

Paddy Heaney does not represent the views of any Derry people.  Or any sane people. Or any people for that matter.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Bensars

This thread is class.

Fearon and the gang trying to justify ( or seek comfort from those who may agree ) a claim of dominance for a team that it is widely accepted to have  totally underachieved, in a time that its county management selection process is the laughing stock of the entire country.

Keep er up lads.   Havent laughed as much in  along time.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Bensars on September 23, 2009, 03:14:28 PM
This thread is class.

Fearon and the gang trying to justify ( or seek comfort from those who may agree ) a claim of dominance for a team that it is widely accepted to have  totally underachieved, in a time that its county management selection process is the laughing stock of the entire country.

Really?

Some one tell that poor lad a few jokes.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ziggysego

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 23, 2009, 03:19:45 PM
Quote from: Bensars on September 23, 2009, 03:14:28 PM
This thread is class.

Really?

Some one tell that poor lad a few jokes.

The favourite for the Armagh man job is a Down man  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 03:21:59 PM
PS For slow learners the top GAA county is not defined by your County senior team's abiliyy to reach an All Ireland final every three years and win it, through the back door, whilst doing fcuk all of note, in between times ;D

Doesn't that defunk your two in a row appearances to the AI Final then? After all one of them was via the backdoor? ;)
Testing Accessibility