Operation Dissent

Started by MAGPIE, September 19, 2009, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Checkpoints cause traffic delay 

Checkpoints have been set up on both decks of the bridge
Police check points on Craigavon Bridge in Londonderry caused traffic disruption during rush hour on Monday.

Officers were on both decks of the bridge which left long traffic queues on each entrance.

One parent, who did not want to be named, said it had taken him nearly 90 minutes to get from the Waterside to take his children to school. On Friday, the PSNI began Operation Dissent aimed at disrupting potential dissident republican activity.

The police said it would result in more police patrols and checkpoints in some areas across Northern Ireland.

nifan

QuoteOne parent, who did not want to be named, said it had taken him nearly 90 minutes to get from the Waterside to take his children to school. 

Used to be a relativly common occurance on the way to/from school there. Many hours wasted on the school bus.

Overthebar!

Quote from: dodgy umpire on September 20, 2009, 11:06:24 PM
several check points in south belfast. not known to be a hot bed for dissident republican activity. how do they decide who to pull over?

not sure who they pull over.are they just checking licenses? whereabouts were they?
they were checking ones out by jordanstown this morning-id say a few freshers could be done for drink driving if they have been out the night before.

Cúig huaire

Northern Ireland's first and deputy first ministers are to meet Prime Minister Gordon Brown later.

Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness will discuss with Mr Brown a budget for the devolution of policing and justice powers to the Executive.

Talks last Wednesday ended without an overall package being agreed, although both men said progress had been made.

It is understood the issues of equal pay and hearing loss claims were a sticking point.

Ahead of Monday's meeting, Mr McGuinness said it was important for the DUP and Sinn Fein to reach a deal now as there will not be a better one in the future.

"We expect Gordon Brown to do the right thing by finance and believe there is responsibility on us to strike a deal," said the Sinn Fein MP.

The two men had been expected to ask Mr Brown if he was prepared to fund a budget shortfall estimated to be about £600m.

Officials have been working over the summer on the figures but sources in Belfast said the Treasury has not narrowed the gap sufficiently.

The Conservative Party's Northern Ireland spokesman, Owen Paterson, warned his party would not give any guarantees about the funding of policing and justice powers.

Mr Robinson had called on Tory leader David Cameron to approve any financial package offered by the prime minister, saying there was no point agreeing a package with one government when another might take over.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: orangeman on September 20, 2009, 10:35:35 PM
True - they're rioting in Lurgan and what are the police doing ? They're standing watching them from miles away and the stopping cars coming out of GAA grounds.  F--ked up alright.
To be far in Lurgan it is in the interest of their safety that they stay away, let it die down by itself. The whole point of rioting is to get them into the area in the first place.

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 20, 2009, 10:39:53 PM
A bunch of teenagers rioting is now classed as "dissidents"?
Those 3 men jailed last week would have thrown a brick or two in their earlier days, so yes.

DownFanatic

Was in Derry this morning around 8.30/9.00 and the place was chockerblocked.

The only vehicles I saw the police actually stopping were vans and small lorries. I didn't see any cars or that being pulled over.

omagh_gael

Just been stopped for the third time in a day and a half, they'll need a new budget for the overtime pay alone!

omagh_gael

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 21, 2009, 07:31:05 PM
Just been stopped for the third fifth time in a day and a half, they'll need a new budget for the overtime pay alone!

YogiBear

Driving through Killcoo last night and pulled in by the police for questioning.  Man beside me was pulled in as well, he was getting done for faulty light on his cattle trailer. WTF has that got to do with dissident activity.

nifan

QuoteMan beside me was pulled in as well, he was getting done for faulty light on his cattle trailer. WTF has that got to do with dissident activity.

Just because they are concentrating on dissident activity means they should ignore every other law?

orangeman

The lads came to our little village this morning to arrest one man. Came in 25 landrovers, had about 10 dogs, and 100 police officers.

Shocking use of resources.

Orior

Quote from: orangeman on September 22, 2009, 04:06:09 PM
The lads came to our little village this morning to arrest one man. Came in 25 landrovers, had about 10 dogs, and 100 police officers.

Sounds like they were expecting more than one suspect. Who counted the officers, dogs and landrovers?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Cúig huaire

Think of the overtime bill for that.  :o
Meanwhile Messers Robinson and McGuinness are in New York for talks with Gordon Brown on policing after talks on Monday failed to secure enough funding for the PSNI. Maybe Mr Brown is trying to tell them that the north is already over policed and they will just have to fall in to line with the rest of the UK.
These "attacks" and operation dissent are really happening at the right time indeed.

020304 Tir Eoghain

3 cars & one Land Cruiser, 16 PSNI  at the end of a lane where my mother lives (she's 87). There wouldn't  be 10 cars
using  this particular road in a day, yet here they were, lounging around, doing what i wonder??

Any similarity between these boyo's and Police Officers is purely co-incidental >:(

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Cúig huaire

Is Operation Dissent still ongoing? Or have they secured enough funding from Mr Brown?
I`ve been in the north a few times over the last week and things seem to have calmed down again.