oh to be heading off to dublin.....

Started by leenie, September 18, 2009, 01:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2009, 11:36:42 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 19, 2009, 01:21:33 AM
Christ you would think ye have been there every year on All Ireland weekend for the past 20 years

'95, 97, 98, 01, 03, 04, 05, 08. It gets infectious.

Ah sure if you are throwing in minor finals I could make a case for myself having withdrawl symptoms for All Ireland weekends  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leenie

if it had been..................

they'd have just left the ballygawley roundabout in the big yella bus......... :-[.

i remember landing at the city west on the sat and there was a wedding on, the bride and groom were getting their pictures taken on the lawn with 100's of tyrone fans in the background... (i'd say they'll treasure those photos)!

also it was aif weekend last year that you didn't have to play at the tolls.... they made a balls up of it!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Dubh driocht

There is no feeling like going to Dublin on AI weekend when your county is involved. Pride, passion and panic.There is an argument for abstinence so that you can remember it all but pints with family and friends, meeting people you half-know, have played against but never spoken to, celebrities who become your new best friend, former players from other counties,girls (if you're looking), guards and gaa druids make it magical.If your county is not involved, it is still memorable. I see it as payment for all the hours we put in training, coaching, washing jerseys, selling tickets and attending meetings- when it works out; we're well paid.Good luck to all 4 counties, I will be missing my first one of the new millennium but there's always next year in the GAA.

deiseach

Probably the most exhilirating period of my life was the build up to last year's All-Ireland. The buzz in the county was incredible. It went pear shaped in the end, but I'd readily expose myself to that possibility to be able to sample that fortnight-long high again

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 19, 2009, 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 19, 2009, 08:41:41 AM
Christ you would think ye have been there every year on All Ireland weekend for the past 20 years  ::)

Tell us your experience of the weekend when Laois seniors were in the All Ireland final  ;)

Well it was 1949 Laois v Tipperary and I was only a young man just out of short pants,As I had no car I took my high nelly bicycle.
There was no motorways then so I had to travel through all the towns and along the way,which was great as people in towns like Monesterevin wand Kill gave me warm milk straight from the Cow's tit and onion sandwiches.
I parked the high nelly outside Fitzgibbon Street Gardai station as even then the Dublin people had a bad name and your bike would be stolen otherwise.
I went for a nice warm bottle of stout in a publican house near Croke Park and then attended the game which we unfortunately lost.
I started to cycle home but got tired and slept in a hay barn just outside Naas.

Get off my land LL and don't be worrying the livestock!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

leenie

i am feeling sad, not because i expected to be there but as it has been said it really is an amazing week and weekend..

though in 2005 i had to travel up from cork, i was uni down there and i was terribly homesick at the time because i was missing the craic... however got up early the sunday morning and was looking forward to the train journey as i knew we'd be meeting the kerry connecting train.... man was i disappointed! It was minus the craic to say the least! couldn't wait to get off at hueston and get over to drumcondra to see "my own people" ....

not one to be biased either but i think the northerners have the upper hand when it comes to banners!

Minder

Quote from: leenie on September 19, 2009, 02:59:38 PM

i am feeling sad, not because i expected to be there but as it has been said it really is an amazing week and weekend..

though in 2005 i had to travel up from cork, i was uni down there and i was terribly homesick at the time because i was missing the craic... however got up early the sunday morning and was looking forward to the train journey as i knew we'd be meeting the kerry connecting train.... man was i disappointed! It was minus the craic to say the least! couldn't wait to get off at hueston and get over to drumcondra to see "my own people" ....

not one to be biased either but i think the northerners have the upper hand when it comes to banners! manners

Fixed that for you.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 19, 2009, 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 19, 2009, 08:41:41 AM
Christ you would think ye have been there every year on All Ireland weekend for the past 20 years  ::)

Tell us your experience of the weekend when Laois seniors were in the All Ireland final  ;)

Well it was 1949 Laois v Tipperary and I was only a young man just out of short pants,As I had no car I took my high nelly bicycle.
There was no motorways then so I had to travel through all the towns and along the way,which was great as people in towns like Monesterevin wand Kill gave me warm milk straight from the Cow's tit and onion sandwiches.
I parked the high nelly outside Fitzgibbon Street Gardai station as even then the Dublin people had a bad name and your bike would be stolen otherwise.
I went for a nice warm bottle of stout in a publican house near Croke Park and then attended the game which we unfortunately lost.
I started to cycle home but got tired and slept in a hay barn just outside Naas.

Class answer  8)

leenie

better manners goes without saying but also our banners... more imaginative in the north

ziggysego

Quote from: leenie on September 19, 2009, 03:46:08 PM
better manners goes without saying but also our banners... more imaginative in the north

I'd a class one in 2005. "All the Kingdom's horses and all the Kingdom's men, couldn't bring Sam back to Kerry again".  :D
Testing Accessibility

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 19, 2009, 01:51:32 PM
There is no feeling like going to Dublin on AI weekend when your county is involved. Pride, passion and panic.There is an argument for abstinence so that you can remember it all but pints with family and friends, meeting people you half-know, have played against but never spoken to, celebrities who become your new best friend, former players from other counties,girls (if you're looking), guards and gaa druids make it magical.If your county is not involved, it is still memorable. I see it as payment for all the hours we put in training, coaching, washing jerseys, selling tickets and attending meetings- when it works out; we're well paid.Good luck to all 4 counties, I will be missing my first one of the new millennium but there's always next year in the GAA.
that would sum it up nicely for me
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either