Two questions re 1989 All-Ireland football final

Started by CompulsoryTillager, September 16, 2009, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2009, 02:21:05 PM
I think he felt that RTE had been giving Cork a raw deal and blaming them mostly for the "war" with Meath the previous year.

PS I am definitely an unlucky omen as far as Mayo is concerned. They lost that final and the 1996 and 2004 finals, all of which I was it.

Well don't turn up on Sunday so!! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

I think he felt that RTE had been giving Cork a raw deal and blaming them mostly for the "war" with Meath the previous year.

PS I am definitely an unlucky omen as far as Mayo is concerned. They lost that final and the 1996 and 2004 finals, all of which I was it.

Most people that go to All-Ireland finals are an unlucky omen for Mayo. Don't beat yourself up big man! Senior: 1996 x 2, 1997, 2004 and 2006 and Minor: 1999, 2000, 2005 & 2008 (draw) for me.

I hope to be there Sunday but reckon this could be the one where Mayo's luck changes.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2009, 02:50:02 PM

Most people that go to All-Ireland finals are an unlucky omen for Mayo. Don't beat yourself up big man! Senior: 1996 x 2, 1997, 2004 and 2006 and Minor: 1999, 2000, 2005 & 2008 (draw) for me.

I hope to be there Sunday but reckon this could be the one where Mayo's luck changes.

yup was at most of them seanie, missed the minor replay  last year  plus throw in 2 Ai under 21 defeats in the 90's, might stay away on sunday and see does the auld luck change . come on mayo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 16, 2009, 03:03:23 PM

yup was at most of them seanie, missed the minor replay  last year  plus throw in 2 Ai under 21 defeats in the 90's, might stay away on sunday and see does the auld luck change . come on mayo

Were you in Ennis in 06?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: the Deel Rover on Today at 03:03:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on Today at 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on Today at 02:21:05 PM

Were you in Ennis in 06?

I was there that day thank God!  :D
After being at so many losses (96 draw, 97, 04 senior and U21, 06, last years minors, and another U21 in there somewhere) I'd hate to miss out on a rare win so have to keep going to them!   
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Supporting mayo in all those finals Seanie? ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

Was lucky enough to be there in Ennis in 06 too.

Twas a rare delight to be at a final. I was also lucky enough to see Crossmolina and Ballina win their club titles.

Also there for most of the losses - senior in 89, 96, 97, 04 and 06; Under 21 in 04 and 01; Minor in 99, 00, 05.

Saw my school lose three All-Ireland finals too  :-[

Missed last year - wasn't in the country - and missed Under 21s in 94 and 95 and Minor in 91. Some tale of woe for us folk.

Since the minors won in 1985 we have appeared in SEVENTEEN finals (incl replays) and only won one - Under 21 in 2006.

I know its better to have loved and lost than never loved at all but we're fairly stretching that maxim to breaking point.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RogerMilla

Quote from: dodo on September 16, 2009, 01:44:22 PM
Have a look here to see the 2 Larry moments and his beautifully constructed hairstyle. The very start is the one he scored, go to about 6min. 20 seconds for the one that..ahem...got away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49gQV0zP00

Mayo never scored from the 18th minute of the second half onwards whereas Cork scored 4 points and kicked wide after wide.

first time i had seen it since that nights sunday game.. aw jaysis finnerty!

top 80's hair though , fair play

rrhf

Was at the 89 final - a greast final form memory - Finnerty was probably the worst footballer to ever play in an all ireland final.  What a miss!! 

dodo

Quote from: rrhf on September 16, 2009, 07:43:58 PM
Was at the 89 final - a greast final form memory - Finnerty was probably the worst footballer to ever play in an all ireland final.  What a miss!!

Not even the worst on that Mayo team, think Maher Óg.

RedandGreenSniper

Ah Jaysus why does everything have to be multiplied because its Mayo. Finnerty's 'terrible' miss - it was a very tight angle; Madden not coming for Coyle's kick that bounced over - I still maintain he should have stayed on the line; McHale being sent off in the replay along with Coyle - we were told that we got rode here because 'Mayo's best player and Meath's worst' - which wasn't quite right and anyway if you start throwing belts and you're 6'5' you're asking for trouble.

Leaving Pat Holmes on Maurice Fitz in 1997 - now that was shooting ourselves in the foot!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Shocking lack of knowledge to say that about Finnerty - there's 14 Tyrone men in 1995 that played worse than Anthony Finnerty

moysider

Absolute s**** with respect. Anthony F if anything was too nice but technically a fine player. Not the first to miss a goal chance but because it was a definitive one he s castigated for it. Last 2 years another Mayo forward has ballooned better chances to win games and nobody seems to give a s***.  Yawn. There are loads of players who were lucky enough to be on teams that won AI s that did nt have a fraction of the talent he had.

Kerry Mike

QuoteLeaving Pat Holmes on Maurice Fitz in 1997 - now that was shooting ourselves in the foot
!

Ye are nice people in Mayo helping to end our famine like that in 97, and look at the thanks we have given ye since !!!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football