This could have major implications for alot of soccer clubs!!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 15, 2009, 11:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

CLUBS IN DEBT TO BE TARGETED
Platini "financial fair play" plan to be approved
Reuters

UEFA president Michel Platini's plan to force clubs to live within their means is expected to be approved at an executive committee meeting.

Platini's plan, dubbed "financial fair play", has already been approved by the European Club Association (ECA), representing the continent's clubs, and the Professional Football Strategy Council (PFSC).

The PFSC includes representatives from the European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL), the international players' union FIFPro, the clubs and the UEFA vice-presidents.

Platini wants to prevent clubs from spending more than they make from their revenues and could signal the end of "sugar daddies" buying into the game and transforming the fortunes of a club.

The Frenchman, who says he has the backing of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and other rich club owners, says clubs will have to live within their means instead.

If passed, the new rules are likely to come into effect in 2012.

Tbc....

Gnevin

What's to stop these lads transferring 1bl on too the clubs books? I don't see anything about the money having to be generated rather than given?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gnevin on September 15, 2009, 11:40:31 AM
What's to stop these lads transferring 1bl on too the clubs books? I don't see anything about the money having to be generated rather than given?

From what I gather, it is all monies that are generated by the club = amount said club are allowed to spend (very basically).
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 15, 2009, 11:45:29 AM

From what I gather, it is all monies that are generated by the club = amount said club are allowed to spend (very basically).
ah but sure loads of business people will 'give' these clubs big money !
::)

goodbye eircom league !

I wonder will the Gov give back rovers 'traveller park' in tallaght to the GAA/all sports now !

Main Street

I'm not definite about it but I think Platini's plan means that a club can receive a gift but it is regarded as a loan if it is above a certain amount.

A sugar daddy is a person who gives a free loan to a club. Platini's plan is that there will be no free loans.

nifan

What about if the local council buys a training ground of you for a vast sum of money more than its worth a la real madrid - Id assume the bigger clubs would have every loophole exploited.

thebigfella

The money anti laundering regulations in would have a quite a big impact on this too and likely to attract attention from the relevent authorities.

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on September 15, 2009, 04:00:49 PM
What about if the local council buys a training ground of you for a vast sum of money more than its worth a la real madrid - Id assume the bigger clubs would have every loophole exploited.
Establishing the principle would be seen as progress.
The effectiveness of that has to be seen.
Could well be just an exercise in populism by Platini.

So could a sugar daddy blatantly purchase  a club asset for a grossly inflated price and the club use that profit to offset losses made with salaries& transfer fees?  I don't know.
I suspect that it will have to be specified what income can be used to offset losses.
The term UEFA use is "generated revenue".

Under the concept, clubs cannot repeatedly spend more than their generated revenues. Guidance will be given on salaries and transfer spending, indicators provided on the sustainability of levels of debt, and clubs will be obliged to honour their commitments at all times.

After that comes the Club Financial Control Panel to check on the clubs.

Hound

But I wonder does anyone really give gifts to the clubs.

Abramoivich has not gifted a cent to Chelsea - he has loaned almost £600m, albeit it is interest-free and he has to give 18 months notice when he wants repayment.

Eoghan Mag

Lynchboy since the start of this season there has been no Eircom League. It reverted back to the League of Ireland.

The League of Ireland was one of the first leagues in the world to start introducing these reforms prior to them being made compulsory. The league being run by the FAI has however made Cork GAA county board look like highly polished professionals!!