Stopping smoking.Help!!

Started by redhugh, September 15, 2009, 10:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhugh

I need to stop smoking - not that my doctor has told me , I just need to catch myself on and stop.I already know how mad,expensive,offensive,dirty and unhealthy it is.... before the lectures start pilling in . Any help and/or advice is greatly welcomed. Any ex-smokers on here fancy telling us how they quit?

stephenite

Quote from: redhugh on September 15, 2009, 10:41:19 AM
I need to stop smoking - not that my doctor has told me , I just need to catch myself on and stop.I already know how mad,expensive,offensive,dirty and unhealthy it is.... before the lectures start pilling in . Any help and/or advice is greatly welcomed. Any ex-smokers on here fancy telling us how they quit?

In the middle of vastly cutting back myself - cold turkey just didn't work. Have started by just refusing to smoke when at work, so I only smoke in the evenings, this has me down to 4 a day for the past few weeks (different story when drinking)

Going to look into getting hypnotised to see if it will get me over the line, slowly realising that the cravings will probably never go away, just need to control them.

Christ, I love smoking

gerrykeegan

Smoked for 20 years, just decided I wanted to stop, its all in the head, if you are serious about it then do it, iif you are any way half hearted dont bother, you will be back on them in no time, change your routine, I used to have a smoke before I got the bus, I walked to the next bus stop so my habit had changed. Good luck
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

redhugh

I thought about hypnotism myself Stephenite, but a friend did it last year and reckons that the hypnotist only programmes you for 6 months , after which period you have to go back and get re-programmed.

wherefromreferee?

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

Bought the book 8yrs ago.  Havent smoked since.  Was on about 20 a day.  Still have the book just in case.  Miss it, but definitely did the right thing by quitting.
In your Endo!

redhugh

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on September 15, 2009, 10:52:10 AM

Bought the book 8yrs ago.  Havent smoked since.  Was on about 20 a day.  Still have the book just in case.  Miss it, but definitely did the right thing by quitting.

I'd say quite a few of the ex-smokers I know have stopped by using the Allen Carr  book, but I know a right few people who stopped with it and then started again. I suppose it's about how determined you are.

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on September 15, 2009, 10:51:45 AM
Smoked for 20 years, just decided I wanted to stop, its all in the head, if you are serious about it then do it, iif you are any way half hearted dont bother, you will be back on them in no time, change your routine, I used to have a smoke before I got the bus, I walked to the next bus stop so my habit had changed. Good luck

I completely agree with this. You know before you start whether it will work or not. It is all in your own mind. Patches and all that are a scam, Nicotene addiction can be gotten over in a few days.

10 years after giving them up I will still smell someone lighting up a mile away and still think of having one.

I picked a monday, told no one and went out on the beer that night. No one even noticed that I didn't smoke. I convinced myself that each day would be easier than the previous one so after a few weeks I believed I had knocked the worst of it on the head.

Still off them, still would love one, but won't be having that one.
MWWSI 2017

Onion Bag

Quote from: stephenite on September 15, 2009, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: redhugh on September 15, 2009, 10:41:19 AM

In the middle of vastly cutting back myself - cold turkey just didn't work. Have started by just refusing to smoke when at work, so I only smoke in the evenings, this has me down to 4 a day for the past few weeks (different story when drinking)

Going to look into getting hypnotised to see if it will get me over the line, slowly realising that the cravings will probably never go away, just need to control them.

Christ, I love smoking

Funny this thread has started, i was just about to start it, re: the Hypnotising, a mte of mine went yesterday and got it done, now it is still to early to see the results but he is my Guinea Pig, if it works for him, it will work for anyone,

he smokes 10-15 a day.

and on a night out, he eats them,

it cost him £120, i will keep you all informed
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Hound

A buddy of mine had a heart attack about a month ago. Aged 34, and thankfully he's okay. Scary beyond belief for him, his family and all his mates. But a damn good way to make him give up the smokes!!

ziggysego

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on September 15, 2009, 10:52:10 AM

Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on September 15, 2009, 01:50:16 PM
A buddy of mine had a heart attack about a month ago. Aged 34, and thankfully he's okay. Scary beyond belief for him, his family and all his mates. But a damn good way to make him give up the smokes!!

:o

My old boss gave up the fags after a massive heart attack. Eight years on, he said he'd go back on them in (pun unintended) a heartbeat.

muppet

That's incredible, 34!
MWWSI 2017

guy crouchback

the wife got hypnotised 4 Months ago and she is still off them. i was very sceptical about it before hand  but it seems to be doing the trick and she was a serious smoker. anything that takes the pain out of the first couple of weeks is worth it.
i gave up 18 months ago and it was the best thing i have ever done. its only when you give up that you realise how much of a curse they are, and i really loved smoking.  i went cold turkey but thats not for everyone if you can find anything that makes it easier use it.

gerrykeegan

A mate of mine had a heart (mild) attack, his cholesterol was sky high, BP sky high and he smoked like a trooper. 3 years later he is still eating all the wrong foods, but because he is on some drug it reduces his cholesterol, he still rants and raves so his BP must be high and guess what he is still smoking, beggars belief!

I'm with you Muppet, I am off them about 12 years now and someone lights a fresh one up outdoors and I think Jesus I'd love one. A gang of us gave them up around about the same time, recently all of them have drifted back to social smoking outside the pub, i think its mid life crisis time, the young ones are all outside smoking!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Goldengreen

Look into the drug Champix, only available from your doctor. Its working for me and I was 50 day smoker