U21 HC Final - Clare v Kilkenny

Started by Guillem2, September 13, 2009, 12:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Well done Clare. The game reminded me of 95. Low scoring tense affair. Clares best forward on both days didn't play well and they still won. Jamsie O'Connor and Honan being the best Clare forwards falling flat in the finals.

Dillon the full back was very good for Clare today as was Glynn in the corner. O'Donovan at midfield and Conlon in the forwards also excelled for Clare.

johnneycool

Didn't get to see the game, will it be reshown anywhere during the week?

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 14, 2009, 10:58:40 AM
Didn't get to see the game, will it be reshown anywhere during the week?

8.00 tonight on TG4.

bottlethrower7

didn't see it meself (was in transit) but by all accounts it could have gone either way.

I was down at the semi against Galway and from what I saw that day I'm not surprised at all by this result.

Congrats to Clare. Its great to see them getting a bit of success at this level finally(thought I'd rather it wasn't at KK's expense).

I liked Tom Humphries comment today - basically Clare have the potential to be great, or the potential to be the next Limerick. Their record is poor enough at cashing in on underage success. Hopefully they'll turn most of this crop into quality intercounty seniors. Hurling could do with Clare being more competitive than they have been in the last few years.

Sean3

A very good game yesterday but totally different to Clare's semi-final. I thought that day in Thurles that the Clare forwards (unusually) were very good but that their full back line was too weak. Completely different yesterday. Their backs were excellent. Some wayward passes and indulgent soloing undid them at times and handed Kilkenny scores. Clare were on top in the first half and probably should have been further ahead. Kilkenny then got well on top at the start of the second half and I thought that they would go on and win but they never got 3 points ahead. The Clare scores at the end were fantastic and it's great to see the county back winning in Croke Park. John Conlon was excellent as were Dillon and Glynn in the full back line. For Kilkenny, Richie Hogan looked to be carrying an injury but was still full of class. Mulhall in the forwards looks a good prospect and Lester Ryan and Langton in the half backs as well. Both teams were a credit to their counties.

The U21 championship has given us some great games this year and long may it continue.

deiseach

Really pleased for Clare, and even more pleased that I can say that after the rancour of 1998. Death to the Big Three! ;D

EddieMerx

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 14, 2009, 03:55:15 PM

I liked Tom Humphries comment today - basically Clare have the potential to be great, or the potential to be the next Limerick. Their record is poor enough at cashing in on underage success. Hopefully they'll turn most of this crop into quality intercounty seniors. Hurling could do with Clare being more competitive than they have been in the last few years.

Bit harsh by Humphries, it's not like Clare have just won 3 in a row! yes this is a very good U21 squad but it's a big step up to Senior and for him to already be spouting such tripe a day after they win their first AI 21 title is just stupid. Sometimes I wonder if has he a clue about sport ::)

deiseach

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 14, 2009, 06:25:03 PM
Bit harsh by Humphries, it's not like Clare have just won 3 in a row! yes this is a very good U21 squad but it's a big step up to Senior and for him to already be spouting such tripe a day after they win their first AI 21 title is just stupid. Sometimes I wonder if has he a clue about sport ::)

Clare have won the princely total of fourteen All-Ireland and Munster titles at Senior, Minor and Under-21 level. Clare people should be celebrating like there's going to be no tomorrow rather than, well, worrying about tomorrow.

Main Street

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 14, 2009, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 14, 2009, 03:55:15 PM

I am confused.
Is this about the online reports on the game by Humphries?

He  only made these comment about potential in the 2 very positive online articles

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0914/1224254474188.html

'This game, as much as last week's senior thriller, was what hurling needed and in terms of the promise which Clare's win holds out for the future, perhaps it was of more significance.'

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0914/1224254476643.html

'(the clare team) thus claimed themselves a chunk of that special immortality which goes to those special underage teams who imbue their entire county with a renewed sense of hope and promise.'

EddieMerx

I am only quoting on the comment above about how they must deliver at senior now or be known as the next Limerick

Main Street

And all I am saying that the comment wasn't made by Humphries in the 2 online articles in the IT today.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on September 14, 2009, 05:11:20 PM
Really pleased for Clare, and even more pleased that I can say that after the rancour of 1998. Death to the Big Three! ;D

seconded. Although to be fair Tipp don't really qualify as select these days.

orangeman

Heard the Clare manager, John Minogue, being interviewed last night by Des Cahill - came across really well and sounded like a real gentleman. Very modest in victory.