Sligo's Johnny Stenson - a truly great man leaves us

Started by paddypastit, September 10, 2009, 09:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddypastit

I wouldn't generally be one for starting the RIP threads but I was really saddened to hear last night of the passing of Johnny Stenson.  If ever there was a guy for whom the words character and gentleman fitted, this was the guy.  Played MF on the Sligo team that won Connacht in '75. Not just a great footballer, and he was that, but a great person whose enthusiasm for life and no strings attached love of the game has inspired and encouraged anyone who ever met him. He wouldn't have claimed to be a man of words or plans but by god did he know football. A one off, a legend - I first met him when I was a student on the county minors cadging lifts home at weekends and it was a privilege to say that I knew him. Hope you rest well Stenny
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

orangeman

SLIGONIAN

Before my time, but some poster said 55yrs old, very sad day for Sligo football, weve lost a Legend, my condelscenes to his family and everyone who knew him. May he rest in peace.

One of the great fielders of the game, as my Dad put it, but as Paddy said above, its one thing being a legend on the field it is another being one off it. And thats the way he universally known, my Dad said aswell. A great supporter of Sligo GAA aswell.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

Echo what has been said here. Never saw the great man playing as it was a little before my time but while in school in Benada was constantly reminded of the many GAA legends who had passed through the school and the deeds on the field of play and Johnny's name was always one of the first mentioned. When we won All-Ireland Colleges B in 92 Johnny was at most games and always offered encouragement and congratulations afterward. He always had a greeting for me since any time we met even though we hardly knew one another. Condolences to his family and friends and may he rest in peace.

magpie seanie

Very sad news and my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Didn't really know him myself bar a nod to say hello in passing but mates of mine that did know him would echo the sentiments expressed here. Too young a man to go but he will live on in the inspiration he gave others.

joemamas

Very sad to hear, a great footballer and a good person. As a Mayoman who lived lives near the county border, I had met him many times, Played against him in a tournament once 25 years or so ago, left the field in awe of his fielding and his incredible stride when moving with the ball. He epitimized what a footballer and sportsman should be.

There is a famous picture from the connaught final 1981 that I have seen in a bar in Charlestown , Johhny was close to five feet off the ground.  It would be fitting,if any of the Sligo folk could post it.

antoinse

Sincere sympathy to the family a great Sligoman. May the Lord have a special place for him

paddypastit

Quote from: joemamas on September 10, 2009, 02:25:32 PM
Very sad to hear, a great footballer and a good person. As a Mayoman who lived lives near the county border, I had met him many times, Played against him in a tournament once 25 years or so ago, left the field in awe of his fielding and his incredible stride when moving with the ball. He epitimized what a footballer and sportsman should be.

There is a famous picture from the connaught final 1981 that I have seen in a bar in Charlestown , Johhny was close to five feet off the ground.  It would be fitting,if any of the Sligo folk could post it.
That picture is being discussed on the Sligo thread in the local discussions. According to Buckass who is from that neck
Quote.that picture is in Howleys in Curry and in Johnny's company I was complimenting him on it...'ah yeah' he said...'didn't I drop the fecker on the way down!'.
A classic Stenny comment
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

stevo-08

Would only have met & spoken to the man a few times, but echo eveything that has been said here - an absolute gentleman and a great character. Unfortunately Im not old enough to remember him playing, but seemingly an absolute legend on the pitch particularly his fielding ability. Sincere sympathy to his family and friends, May he rest in peace.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

God I am shocked to hear this - he is of my own era and a fine footballer who brought a bit of character to the game.
Amazingly it is only a couple of nights ago I was telling my daughter a story that involved Johnny - showing the diffference between the more cavalier days of the 70s and 80s and todays regimented teams.

Sincere sympathy to his family and indeed to all Sligo GAA folk.

RedandGreenSniper

RIP. Before my time. But I've heard he was held in very high regard by Mayo folk old enough to know of him.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mayo51

bit of a shocker.remember him from the connacht final in 1975 where he caught ball after ball near the end of the game to break our hearts.R.I.P.

muppet

I'm too young to remember seeing him, but old enough to have heard of him and the 1975 final.

Seems a very young age to go but he must have enjoyed 2007 and being able to watch the torch being passed on.

RIP.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Very saddened to hear this. I remember him well. Never met the man but lucky to have seen him play. I remember him playing with Martin McCarrick at midfield and in 75 before that. A classical 70 s hairstyle and facial hair.  Like a footballing George Harrison. He stood out. We held him in the highest regard. He was a class act. Great fielder as has been pointed out, but had a lot besides and would have walked into the best teams at the time for years. If he was from Kerry he would have had a ball of medals. I think that needs to be acknowledged.