RTÉ Sport: Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 08, 2009, 05:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafgael

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 08, 2009, 11:40:20 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on September 08, 2009, 11:26:26 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 08, 2009, 05:51:04 PM
Greatest Irish Sportsperson of all time

Vincent O'Brien for me. The only Irish person who could truly claim to be the best ever in the world at his sport (apart from Christy Ring and Mick O'Connell obviously!)

Greatest Irish Sporting Moment

Dawn Run's Cheltenham Gold Cup.

'So Near And Yet So Far' Irish Sporting Moment

1991 Rugby World Cup against Australia. The place went absolutely mental after Hamilton's try and only a minute later Michael Lynagh broke our hearts.

Tony McCoy is the greatest ever jockey to sit on a horse under National Hunt rules.

You obviously never seen Tommy Carberry ride at his peak. I'm a huge fan of AP but you could argue that he's not even the best jock riding at the moment. Ruby has had a far better record at the bigger meetings over the past few years.

DH,

Thats quite a presumption to make just because someone has an alternative opinion. I had the pleasure of seeing Tommy Carberry unsaddle L'Escargo when I was a cub and it made a lasting impression. Ruby has the better record over the last years as he has been on the better horses from Nicholls yard, would you not agree?

McCoy is capable of things on a horse that no other jockey riding today is. Walsh, Carberry and a few others are much more stylish but I know who I would want on a horse when the money is down.

Mayo4Sam

Has to be eamon coughlan or sonia. They were the best in the world in a sport which is played world wide.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Maroon Heaven

Have to agree that McCoy was one of the Best National Hunt jockies ever. If we are talking today Walsh is doing better them him however.

Vincent O'Brien's achievements would make him my choice as greatest ever sportsman. Coughlan in his day was one of the most respected athletes this country ever had - But with no Olympic medal he can be ruled out

full back

Padraig Harrington
Sonia O Sullivan
George Best
Stephen Roche
Roy Keane
Tony Mc Coy
Eamon Coughlan
Mary Peters
Alex Higgins
Vincent O Brien

For & against cases for all of them but I would count them up there as the best

oakleafgael

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 12:27:14 PM
Have to agree that McCoy was one of the Best National Hunt jockies ever. If we are talking today Walsh is doing better them him however.

Maroon Heaven,

Thats your opinion but Ruby is the media darling, helped by his father who should have been replaced on RTE a long time ago, and I think that has added to his repuation compared to McCoy who can be very dour and doesnt court attention as much.

If they where both on horses of identical ability and form, something that very rarely if ever happens, then imo McCoy would win 7/10.

Maroon Heaven

No doubt about it Walsh has the good horses. I like Ted Walsh - One of RTE's best correspondent's

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

Coughlan and OSullivan blew it when it mattered most ie the Olympics. As for Roy Keane! Catch a grip ffs you must be a united fan
AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

muppet

I can't see horse training as a sport in this context. Horse racing was a business long before some of the other sports were even sports. Whatever about the jockeys where there is at least real live rider against rider competition, trainers are in the same category to me as guide dog trainers etc. 

FFS you can be a trainer at 100 years old. 

If horse trainers are worthy nominees why don't we see Jack Charlton nominated here or Maurice Setters? Or Stephen Ireland's auld fella since he produced the footballer and coached Sonia O'Sullivan among others?
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2009, 02:05:41 PM
I can't see horse training as a sport in this context. Horse racing was a business long before some of the other sports were even sports. Whatever about the jockeys where there is at least real live rider against rider competition, trainers are in the same category to me as guide dog trainers etc. 

If horse trainers are worthy nominees why don't we see Jack Charlton nominated here or Maurice Setters? Or Stephen Ireland's auld fella since he produced the footballer and coached Sonia O'Sullivan among others?

For horse racing - O'Brien would have controlled breeding and nuturing a horse from a day old to a world class thoroughbred. Didn't see Charlton do that

Main Street

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 09, 2009, 12:24:10 PM
Has to be eamon coughlan or sonia. They were the best in the world in a sport which is played world wide.

Neither Couglan, Sonia or John Tracy, won an Olympic gold,

Imo Ronnie Delaney is the greatest athlete, he had a magnificent career to accompany a truly superb gold medal race.

Stephen Roche the greatest sportsperson

I wouldn't consider
darts, bowls, snooker, horse trainers, car drivers, GAA or Nordies

muppet

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 02:14:03 PM

For horse racing - O'Brien would have controlled breeding and nuturing a horse from a day old to a world class thoroughbred. Didn't see Charlton do that

What about the guide dogs?
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2009, 02:19:12 PM

When was the last time a guide dog won a race at Ascot

Sandino

To be fair to Coughlan he was 4th in the Olympics twice. He became a world champion and he was a world record holder. I do think he is well up there. I would have to go for Roche just ahead of Delaney. Pat O'Callaghan also a strong contender.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

muppet

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 02:25:38 PM

When was the last time Vincent O'Brien ran anywhere, threw anything or won a game for striking a ball. He sends out animals to do it.

Great skill no doubt, but greatest sportsperson ever. Not for me.
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2009, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 02:25:38 PM

When was the last time Vincent O'Brien ran anywhere, threw anything or won a game for striking a ball. He sends out animals to do it.

Great skill no doubt, but greatest sportsperson ever. Not for me.

So who do you pick???