9/11- Phone Calls From The Towers....What would you say?

Started by DoYerJob Linesman, September 06, 2009, 10:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYerJob Linesman

Very powerful program on Channel 4 tonight, featuring people trapped in the tower calling their loved ones.  Got me thinking, if put in a similar situation, who would I call and what would I say?

What about you guys?
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

DoYerJob Linesman

TRLL, you didnt watch it did you?   :)

It was desperate, raw human emotion.  People faced with death, leaving messages for their wives and children.

The pictures that day showed us the outside of the towers.  This program gave an account of what it was like inside.  Shook me up anyway.

DoYerJob Linesman

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2009, 11:38:01 PM
I put on my best Pat Spillane voice and say "Slán agus oidhche mhaith".

"Oh aye, the bin goes out the marra night. The blue one".

"Every time you eat a chip buttie, and drink some cider, think of me"

quit yo jibbajabba

dyjl; dont think you quite got the responses you were anticipating when you started this; good job ive come along when i did ;) :P

v powerful prog alright, id taped the millionaire widows from the night before; watched it, then the one you're on about; the two progs back to back cheered me up no end :(

thought wifey would tell me to turn it oer; tis a subject ye dont really wanna think about too much; liked the bit of the dad with the tree, a wee corner of the world will always be there for the girl that died;
kudos to that fireman who kept goin up the staircases right into the face of it;
and finally im sure the brother who didnt answer his phone that morn will always have regrets im sure;

the miilionaire widows thingy showed the darker side to it all; brothers disputing the big payouts given to sisters dead partners;
best friend of a fireman who died leavin the wife to shack up with the widow etc;

tyrone girl

Didnt see the millionaire one, mad i missed it. Saw the one last night though, very sad.

Was awful listening to the people on the phone and the man who was on the phone saying we are all young men up here we arent ready to die and while he was on the phone the tower collapsed.

Theres another one on tonight think its footage people took round that time with their own camcorders etc.

orangeman

Doogie Browser

Not a funny topic as anyone who watched this show last night will confirm.  Poor helpless people, it was heartbreaking for them.  Some of the people left behind drew great strength from it though, don't think I would want to be in this position though.  The fireman who scaled 79 floors was particularly sad, given that he was climbing to certain death and didn't know.

deiseach

Quote from: orangeman on September 07, 2009, 01:41:22 PM
I wouldn't phone.
Too morbid this.

Yeah. Christ, I'd rather be making the call than receiving it. The thought of picking up the phone and hearing Mrs d saying her goodbyes to me . . . I'm welling up just thinking about it.

Main Street

I was with my kids once on a plane that looked likely enough to crash on its 3rd attempt to land in a hurricane, they woke me up just in time to witness the 3rd attempt. On approach, just some seconds before the  wheels would make contact, it was being blown around like a paper plane. I could have sworn I saw the end of the wing scrape the runway before the plane took an upward dive again.

I thought  'féck that was close   and to think I could have wasted the last 2 hours of living contact, having a snooze'.