There,ll never be a hurl in Bellaghy

Started by ha ha derry, September 04, 2009, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truebluewolfetone

LADS HURLING IS A GREAT GAME, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, I WAS AT THE MATCH YESTERDAY, I WISH FOOTBALL COULD BE PLAYED THE SAME WAY

The Doire Geal

hurling and football can be played in the same town... Dungiven for example, most hurling championships with 22 and 4th most football titles with 7, which equals 27. not bad going. and also right down the age groups with the U16's doing the double, football and hurling so it can be done

Zulu

While I'm a big dual man myself I've come to the conclusion that clubs are better off concentrating on one code and if a club is currently a single code club, then it should remain so. It also appears to me that football only clubs get hammered for this by some folk but hurling only clubs don't get the same heat at all.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Zulu on October 30, 2009, 07:36:06 PM
While I'm a big dual man myself I've come to the conclusion that clubs are better off concentrating on one code and if a club is currently a single code club, then it should remain so. It also appears to me that football only clubs get hammered for this by some folk but hurling only clubs don't get the same heat at all.

Quite rightly Zulu and the reason is simple. Hurling being the harder sport to take up and become proficient at is more of an 'endangered species' than football. Football is flourishing relative to hurling. Typically, clubs and counties can produce football teams much easier than hurling teams.

For example we in derry dont need another football club to give the sport a big boost, but hurling would be crying out for more teams (as we have 8 hurling teams vs 38 football teams). Even big hurling counties have plenty of football teams, by and large.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ONeill

Disgraceful attitude.

Clubs should offer all codes of the association if the interest is there. Too many are overly-concerned with results and silverware. If a 10-year old would rather hurl for Bellaghy than kick a ball, that's a great development.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Owenbeg

Joe Cassidy has won back to back titles with Ulster schools hurling titles wit Cross and Passion!!! Mabye some hope for hurling in bellaghy, remember playing against Mickey McGoldrick, he was a good hurler with the swa, would lve to see hurling in bellaghy, but needs to be feed through the schools to start

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Owenbeg on October 31, 2009, 01:24:56 PM
Joe Cassidy has won back to back titles with Ulster schools hurling titles wit Cross and Passion!!! Mabye some hope for hurling in bellaghy, remember playing against Mickey McGoldrick, he was a good hurler with the swa, would lve to see hurling in bellaghy, but needs to be feed through the schools to start

wee mick played hurling with swatragh?never knew that.to be honest i can never see hurling being played in bellaghy,there is so much effort being put in at underage at the minute and that wont guarantee success at senior level in the coming years so i cannot see where we are going to get the men/women prepared to put that same effort into hurling where we have no record of success at all.

The Doire Geal

tonesfirstandlast.. what u do best is wining championships

aha, can't even compete these days, most under-age teams in the B, clearly a club in demise!

Dungiven/KL, win under-age titles in hurling, if not final, senior titles! also compete and win under-age football titles and u21, senior semi final and finals last 5 years.

Bellaghy should take up hurling, least they will have an excuse why there so unsuccessful these days!

saffronog

Bellaghy could and should play hurling, the coach is there already, ie there senior football manager.