Football hall of Fame?

Started by cadhlancian, September 03, 2009, 06:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 03, 2009, 10:04:06 PM
Obviously the criteria would have to be set in a way that Tyrone players that won nothing would still qualify based on playing a couple of good games ;). Of course a hall of fame should only include players who have won major honours otherwise you'll be putting everyone on the list.

Wrong, you put the elite on there, the McGinnitys of the GAA world, the Capt Early's of Roscommon, Paddy Mo, Jack Bratten and other greats from bygone era's.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

Sorry bout the McGinnity typo Ferm bucks.

Sligo - what did you call the boyo who did all the scoring for them in the 70s? - Kearns? Think he was All-Star.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ONeill on September 03, 2009, 10:58:32 PM

Sligo - what did you call the boyo who did all the scoring for them in the 70s? - Kearns? Think he was All-Star.

Mickey Kearns was on the first All Star team in 1971.

Twould be a very contentious scheme. I'd like to see something like it but Irish narrow-mindedness could be the biggest obstacle.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

They have to have a song written about them?

From Connacht in my time 3 players stand out as legends. Mickey Kerins, Dermot Early and Willie Joe Padden.

But fellas like Donnellan and Joyce have all the bangles. Great players too no doubt but the other 3 were frontiersmen.

cadhlancian

as of now the Tyrone  players I would have in, would be Frank McGuigan, Eugene McKenna, Iggy Jones, Jody o'Neill and possibly Frankie Donnelly, remember have to be retired from playing 5 years

cadhlancian

Derry players I would have would be. Jim McKeever, Tony Scullion and probably only Anthony Tohill

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 04, 2009, 12:16:18 AM
as of now the Tyrone  players I would have in, would be Frank McGuigan, Eugene McKenna, Iggy Jones, Jody o'Neill and possibly Frankie Donnelly, remember have to be retired from playing 5 years

You'd be talking about potentially over 200 players around the country then I'd say. Would that be too many? Is it too late to start too? A lot of backdating and people not in a right position to assess etc
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

cadhlancian

No I dont think its too late, perhaps this could be that start of something here, get the wagon rolling, would as you say take a lot of research and work, but sure its all a bit of craic! ;)

botman

Quote from: stew on September 03, 2009, 10:28:15 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 03, 2009, 09:47:38 PM
If there was one nomination from every county (32 man squad), I wouldn't like to be the man deciding on the Kerry wan. I'd say Canavan would beat off McGuigan and Jones in Tyrone in a poll. Kevin Armstrong of Antrim. Jim McKeever, Derry. Sean O'Neill, Down. Peter McGinnity, Donegal. Nudie Hughes, Monaghan. Cavan's from the 30-50 era tough. McHugh of Donegal? Armagh....Corvan? Dublin - Keaveney? Purcell of Galway?

That'd be some poll.

McGinnity is and was a Fermanagh man.

The best players are the best players regardless of what county they hail from, Kerry would have the most obviously as well they should followed by Dublin and Cork etc.

Individual merit would mean that both McGuigan and wee peter would make it without having to compete, who the feck would you take from Kilkenny or Sligo in your scenario Shane?

The way the yanks do it the sports writers decide who gets in and who does not, for me though the likes of Art McGinn of Armagh Harps should be the calibre of person who decides, GAA historians should get to decide just who gets in and who does not, that would keep us going on this board for years.

Surely there are better qualified people to decide rather than someone who can remember lots of things that happened in the past?

Keep them at it.

mylestheslasher

Sorry Tyronies but Frank McGuigan would not make a list like this unless there were hundreds of people on it - no offence to the man. If the list had say 100 players on it from 125 years then Kerry would probably dominate the list with 50% of the players reflecting the fact that decade after decade they have had the best players. Cavan in 40's/50's along with Down in the 60's would contriute the vast majority from Ulster and Tyrone, Derry, Armagh etc would probably get 1 or 2 each. For what its worth I wouldn't suggest 1 Cavan player from the last 40 years to make such a list as it should be only really really superb footballers that have achieved greatness. Thats normally the way a hall of fame works.

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2009, 08:38:51 PM
Sorry Tyronies but Frank McGuigan would not make a list like this unless there were hundreds of people on it - no offence to the man. If the list had say 100 players on it from 125 years then Kerry would probably dominate the list with 50% of the players reflecting the fact that decade after decade they have had the best players. Cavan in 40's/50's along with Down in the 60's would contriute the vast majority from Ulster and Tyrone, Derry, Armagh etc would probably get 1 or 2 each. For what its worth I wouldn't suggest 1 Cavan player from the last 40 years to make such a list as it should be only really really superb footballers that have achieved greatness. Thats normally the way a hall of fame works.

How do you work that one out ?

ONeill

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2009, 08:38:51 PM

How do you work that one out?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SLIGONIAN

Ya Mickey kerins as the lads say, pity i never seen him before my time, but Dad told me about him alot, remember vaguely Dad telling me he scored 0-16 against Mayo in Connacht Championship and we still lost. :o, considering we lost and the opposition was Mayo that is a massive achievement.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gaagaa

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 04, 2009, 12:18:48 AM
Derry players I would have would be. Jim McKeever, Tony Scullion and probably only Anthony Tohill

dermot mcnicholl would have to be in consideration - ask any of the kerry greats around the mid to late 80s and they would agree
3 ai minor final appearances, captained winners in 83, played for ireland in 84, senior ai, loads of other honours incl siegerson, ryan cup, railway cup, national league

what about sean o'connell - amazing player and well respected throughout ireland

henry downey (ai captain and loads of club honoursat ai and ulster level, ect

brian mcgilligan - 2 ulster, loads national leagues, played for ireland, club honours - big dual player

and thats before we even start to talk aboyt the bellaghy men ;)

gaagaa

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 05, 2009, 10:23:34 AM

Ya Mickey kerins as the lads say, pity i never seen him before my time, but Dad told me about him alot, remember vaguely Dad telling me he scored 0-16 against Mayo in Connacht Championship and we still lost. :o, considering we lost and the opposition was Mayo that is a massive achievement.

a great player but unlikely to make the final cut for a few years