Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 04, 2009, 08:30:54 PM
Quote from: Armamike on September 04, 2009, 08:05:52 PM
It just doesn't add up for me. No county board worth its salt is going to put a confirmation of appointment or anything else in writing to any candidate BEFORE the process is complete and interviews have been undertaken. Go to interview, put your cards on the table and get your response, certainly in writing at that point.  Everyone is buying into the mantra now that Paul was 'shafted' last time around. Did the thought ever occur that maybe, just maybe, McDonnell might have interviewed better and had a few credentials of his own going for him (ulster club winner with 2 different clubs, and an Ulster U21 winner, as a No.1, and not a No.2). The tin hat on all of this is that he's given up the chance to manage his own county and build something worthwhile, to go to Monaghan as Banty's sidekick. Jesus C, come on! That does not demonstrate good judgement.

That is very valid Armamike.  I heard that there was a single major factor that went against him in the previous run at the job and it was a recurring issue that created problems before.  As has been pointed out he apparently didn't do a good interview the last time and the only people who are saying he was shafted are the people who backed him.
Who were his backroom team?

brokencrossbar1

I don't remember all the details of who he had in it but he swapped chairs during interview, but that was only a minor issue when push came to shove.

Main Street

Quote from: Logan on September 04, 2009, 08:40:14 PM

My belief is based on common sense.
2 weeks ago The Monaghan job was Banty's job whether or not PG was on board or not. The Monaghan CB said as much if I remember.
He didn't need PG to get the job or hold on to it. 

You are waffling around in the face of known factual statements.

Whether the job was Bantys or not is totally irrelevant.

Banty said he he was taking 2 weeks off to decide whether he would do it or not.
Colm Keys
Friday August 21 2009
'Seamus McEnaney is to take another two weeks to decide whether he wants to commit to another year in charge of Monaghan'.

Banty has stated that he wouldn't have decided in the affirmative, if he did not have something new to throw into the mix.

"If I was going to continue, I knew I would need something different. The team needed something different and Paul Grimley will bring that difference."

Schkite

Well I don't know about money
That's definietly one I can't understand - is there a Russian Billionaire in Monaghan now!  ;D

We've given the CB a bit of the gold we found up the road there. If there a player transfer system in place we'd be laughing.

Logan

Quote from: Main Street on September 04, 2009, 10:30:43 PM

My belief is based on common sense.
2 weeks ago The Monaghan job was Banty's job whether or not PG was on board or not. The Monaghan CB said as much if I remember.
He didn't need PG to get the job or hold on to it. 

You are waffling around in the face of known factual statements.

Whether the job was Bantys or not is totally irrelevant.

Banty said he he was taking 2 weeks off to decide whether he would do it or not.
Colm Keys
Friday August 21 2009
'Seamus McEnaney is to take another two weeks to decide whether he wants to commit to another year in charge of Monaghan'.

Banty has stated that he wouldn't have decided in the affirmative, if he did not have something new to throw into the mix.

"If I was going to continue, I knew I would need something different. The team needed something different and Paul Grimley will bring that difference."
Waffling? Factual statements?

The dogs in the street knew Banty was always staying on.

Whether Grimley or whoever came in or not made no difference to that - the only two things for certain were that
1. Banty was staying
2. There would be some change to the backroom team

The GAA

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 04, 2009, 08:30:54 PM
Quote from: Armamike on September 04, 2009, 08:05:52 PM
It just doesn't add up for me. No county board worth its salt is going to put a confirmation of appointment or anything else in writing to any candidate BEFORE the process is complete and interviews have been undertaken. Go to interview, put your cards on the table and get your response, certainly in writing at that point.  Everyone is buying into the mantra now that Paul was 'shafted' last time around. Did the thought ever occur that maybe, just maybe, McDonnell might have interviewed better and had a few credentials of his own going for him (ulster club winner with 2 different clubs, and an Ulster U21 winner, as a No.1, and not a No.2). The tin hat on all of this is that he's given up the chance to manage his own county and build something worthwhile, to go to Monaghan as Banty's sidekick. Jesus C, come on! That does not demonstrate good judgement.

That is very valid Armamike.  I heard that there was a single major factor that went against him in the previous run at the job and it was a recurring issue that created problems before.  As has been pointed out he apparently didn't do a good interview the last time and the only people who are saying he was shafted are the people who backed him.

That's poorly informed nonsense. i;'m very angry with grimley over what he has done here but lets not start reviewing historybecause of it. i'm fairly well informed on the facts of the last debacle and many of the rumours are very accurate. no fault attached to mcdonnell as he was simply going for an interview in a straightforward manner.

there was no change of backroom either. would you care to put any substantiation on any of your last two posts bc?

razor

According to the hoganstand.com

Former players Neil Smyth, Justin McNulty and Michael McConville have been nominated to succeed Peter McDonnell as Armagh football manager.

No offence to the names listed above but i just think that Grimely was the right man for the job.

Have any of the names listed above got any inter county managerial experience??

gaagaa

Quote from: naka on September 04, 2009, 04:39:30 PM
we all feel that as a process was in place then the procedure had to be followed thru, paul knew this .
having trawled thru the posts most guys are merely questioning what they see as an irrational decision at this stage to become a No 2 of a county who do not have armagh`s potential or playing resources.
it is common knowledge that paul was the only person nominated who was approached  by representatives from the county board

if this is true then after what has happened how could paul g ever be in a position to work with the county board?
in derry we have found to our cost thet there will be no success if the cb and senior manager dont work together
there always seem to be petty, bitchy individuals in the corridors of poewr or in the back room teams who are intent on getting one over on the other
good luck to armagh this year.  they are going to need it after this debacle

Onion Bag

PG is an absolute gentleman and a scholar and i wish him evry success with Monaghan, dont think he would really give a shit with some of the comments being made here,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 05, 2009, 12:16:21 PM
PG is an absolute gentleman and a scholar and i wish him evry success with Monaghan, dont think he would really give a shit with some of the comments being made here,
That's clear.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: razor on September 05, 2009, 08:51:09 AM
According to the hoganstand.com

Former players Neil Smyth, Justin McNulty and Michael McConville have been nominated to succeed Peter McDonnell as Armagh football manager.

No offence to the names listed above but i just think that Grimely was the right man for the job.

Have any of the names listed above got any inter county managerial experience??

Really think they need to re-open nominations given that the majority of clubs naminated soembody who won't be going through the process.

Anybody know who Mullaghbán nominated? And which club nominated the other Mullaghbán man? Not impossible we could have 3 managers in a row from Mullaghbán!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

David McKeown

Am I correct in saying the following could be used a summary of the last two management appointments in Armagh? Based on whats been posted here?

1. PG leaves his position as assistant in Cavan as he feels/has received a nod and a wink that he is to be appointed manager?
2. PG goes through interview process and interviews poorly.
3. Allegations abound that pressure is put on the selection committee by individual(s) either within or with close links to the county, to ensure PG doesn't get the job.
4. Selection committee selects PmcD, club representatives ask about PG but are told that PmcD has been appointed.
5. PG is notified of the decision and feels as if he has been screwed over?
6. PG joins Kildare and is reasonably successful
7. PmcD leaves the Armagh post in a very controversial fashion
8. This controversy is never really openly discussed
9. PG leaves Kildare due to too much traveling
10. PG is widely regarded as only man for the job?
11. PG allows himself to be nominated?
12. PG meets with selection committee and feels/has received a nod and a wink that he is to be appointed manager?
13. PG makes requests/demands of CB which are initially agreed too but are subsequently not?
14. PG decides to take No2 position at Monaghan

If it is then I feel the County Board have once again made a farce of things and thats without passing comment on PG.  I just wonder how many people didnt let their name go forward when it was so clear the PG was the first choice for the job.  The other problem I have is the idea of closing nomination when we still have a county team and a management team involved in an All Ireland Final.  I would like to see the whole process scrapped and started again once the all Ireland Final is over
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Logan

Quote from: David McKeown on September 05, 2009, 01:53:47 PM
Am I correct in saying the following could be used a summary of the last two management appointments in Armagh? Based on whats been posted here?

1. PG leaves his position as assistant in Cavan as he feels/has received a nod and a wink that he is to be appointed manager?
2. PG goes through interview process and interviews poorly.
3. Allegations abound that pressure is put on the selection committee by individual(s) either within or with close links to the county, to ensure PG doesn't get the job.
4. Selection committee selects PmcD, club representatives ask about PG but are told that PmcD has been appointed.
5. PG is notified of the decision and feels as if he has been screwed over?
8. This controversy is never really openly discussed
9. PG leaves Kildare due to too much traveling
10. PG is widely regarded as only man for the job?
11. PG allows himself to be nominated?
12. PG meets with selection committee and feels/has received a nod and a wink that he is to be appointed manager?
13. PG makes requests/demands of CB which are initially agreed too but are subsequently not?
14. PG decides to take No2 position at Monaghan

If it is then I feel the County Board have once again made a farce of things and thats without passing comment on PG.  I just wonder how many people didnt let their name go forward when it was so clear the PG was the first choice for the job.  The other problem I have is the idea of closing nomination when we still have a county team and a management team involved in an All Ireland Final.  I would like to see the whole process scrapped and started again once the all Ireland Final is over

Where do these fit in?

PG is approached by Monaghan?
PG decides to take the No2 position at Monaghan? (The decision wasn't number 14 for definite!)
PG is approached by Armagh CB backer
PG agrees terms with Armagh CB backer

armaghniac

Quote5. PG is notified of the decision and feels as if he has been screwed over?

6.33 Players etc not fully supportive of PMcD as they feel PG should have been appointed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

4 - Clubs did more than ask about PG, they voted in favour of his appointment and were told that the entire board would resign if they didn't ratify P McD.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead