All Ireland Presentations to be on the Pitch

Started by Barney, September 01, 2009, 12:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

For years I have argued that the losing captain in the interests of sportsmanship should present the winning captain with the cup.  Couldnt have seen Galvin handing her over without a scrap last year though.   

longrunsthefox

Why not just get the losing captain and rub his nose in the dirt... same thing

cornafean

In fairness to the GAA, they seem to be putting more and more effort into the entertainment programme on All Ireland final day. The half-time comedy show in front of the Hogan Stand last year was hilarious, especially the bit when that big fella from Kerry in the suit fell on his backside. I wonder willl he be back again this year.  :D
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

cadhlancian

Maguire01

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 02, 2009, 01:08:13 AM
I think its a great idea, we had it in 2000 , it gives the players a chance to really enjoy the moment of victory with their team mates who they have trained with all year, without having 1000's of drunken eejits slapping them on the back and giving them bear hugs, and it give them a chance to do a well deserved lap of honour where everyone in the stadium gets a close up view of the team and cup on parade.

There has been times when some players have not been able to get up to the step of the Hogan with the crush out on the field.

Its safer too as its only a matter of time before someone is hurt or killed in the stampede getting onto the pitch. And no Plan B will compensate for a death of a supporter or a player getting injured and you only have to think back to the chaos of 2002 to see where a near disaster was averted.

Its one of the few traditions I'd gladly see the back of. We must be one of the few sports that tolerate pitch invasions when there is a presentation ceremony taking place
With respect, this could only have come from a Kerry man (or woman). I've watched Kerry people leave the stadium before they're presented with the cup. It just doesn't mean the same to a county that has won it so many times.

Yes, there is merit in the H&S argument. But if Monaghan were to win the AI, i'd like my opportunity to have a run out onto the field.

Maguire01

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 03, 2009, 11:21:43 AM
On a serious note though, shouldn't the loosing team be presented with runners up medals on the day instead of Hip Hip Hooray and leaving them lying on the ground looking distressed?
I cringe every time I hear the winning captain do the 'hip-hip' for the losing team.

Logan

GPA back presentation relocation
03 September 2009

The GPA has backed the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

The GAA has appealed to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final to stay off the field at the end of the game, with director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death" if the traditional post-match pitch invasions continue.

"The GPA endorses the GAA's request in this regard and acknowledges the health and safety issues involved for both supporters and players," a statement from the players' body read.

"The GPA would like to wish the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season."

I read this and I'm like ... 'So what??'

Does anyone really care whether the GPA give a monkey f**k about the GAA's announcements?
Does Dessie sit at home reading all the GAA press releases deciding which ones he's going to release a statement to support or deny???

Who cares?

[Deep Breath]

pintsofguinness

QuoteGPA back presentation relocation
03 September 2009

The GPA has backed the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

The GAA has appealed to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final to stay off the field at the end of the game, with director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death" if the traditional post-match pitch invasions continue.

"The GPA endorses the GAA's request in this regard and acknowledges the health and safety issues involved for both supporters and players," a statement from the players' body read.

"The GPA would like to wish the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season."
:D   :D   :D

that's excellent. 

I think I'll release a statement now myself. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rav67

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 03, 2009, 06:54:49 PM
QuoteGPA back presentation relocation
03 September 2009

:D   :D   :D

that's excellent. 

I think I'll release a statement now myself.

:D Self-important hoors, purely releasing a statement to get the GPA in the paper.

As for the presentation, there's not much they can do if thousands decide they're getting to the pitch a la 2002.  It's a great tradition and I've yet to hear of anyone being seriously hurt as a result.

One thing that has annoyed me in the past - fans doing pitch invasions at Croke when they haven;t won anything and in particular when the second match of a double header is on after!  Derry fans v Westmeath and Fermanagh v Armagh both '04 spring to mind here.

ziggysego

Ziggy rejects presentation relocation
03 September 2009

Ziggy has rejected the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

Ziggy has appealed to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final to run onto the field at the end of the game. With director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death", Ziggy wonders when that has happened before or come close to happening.

"Ziggy denounces the GAA's request in this regard and hopes the status quo with be back in place in 2010," a statement from Ziggy read.

"Ziggy would like to wish the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season."
Testing Accessibility

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ziggysego on September 03, 2009, 08:55:17 PM
Ziggy rejects presentation relocation
03 September 2009

Ziggy has rejected the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

Ziggy has appealed to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final to run onto the field at the end of the game. With director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death", Ziggy wonders when that has happened before or come close to happening.

"Ziggy denounces the GAA's request in this regard and hopes the status quo with be back in place in 2010," a statement from Ziggy read.

"Ziggy would like to wish the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season."
:D very good ziggy, i might release a statement myself endorsing your statement
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ONeill

O'Neill rejects Ziggy's rejection of presentation relocation
03 September 2009

O'Neill has rejected Ziggy's rejection of the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

O'Neill has appealed to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final not to run onto the field at the end of the game. With director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death", O'Neill agrees after seeing Ziggy scooting about in a carefree manner last year on the park, goading the guards in the process using terminology including 'free-state', 'bastards' and 'try an stop me'.

"O'Neill denounces Ziggy's refusal to accept the GAA's request in this regard and hopes that he reflects on his attitude back in that God-forsaken hole Greencastle and just to continue his fretting of sheep in the greater Mid-Ulster area" a statement from O'Neill read.

"O'Neill would like to wish the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season."
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 03, 2009, 11:21:43 AM
On a serious note though, shouldn't the loosing team be presented with runners up medals on the day instead of Hip Hip Hooray and leaving them lying on the ground looking distressed?

Who wants be paraded as the loser?

I respect your view denn forever, as much as I expected that type of reply which I got when I muted this idea a few years ago.  My view is that if a person gives all their free time to train for four years to win the top prize and ends up on the podium of the 2010 Olympics getting a silver medal, then that is far from being paraded as a looser.  Perhaps the GPA have raised the bar too high and snobish elements in the more professional outfits where sponsorship and spendings of up to half a million euro a year to get a team to an All-Ireland Final makes a runners up medal seem cheap.

The Hip, Hip, Hooray brigade and the writers of cringeworthy speeches have had their day as far as I am concerned.  I am not suggesting that all of the loosing team climb the steps or stage, whichever the case may be but before the presentation an announcement is made that says something like: We would like to thank xyz team for their sporting performance today and for their dedication to training, and to their county, that got them to this final today. We are now asking the captain of  Cork to accept on behalf of his team the runners up medals for the All-Ireland Championship 2009.

When I played hurling in Dublin my dream was to play in Croke Park in a county final. Never made it past Parnell but I will say this, I would give almost anything to play in Croke Park in an All-Ireland Final and if it were this year I would give twice as much as almost anything to have a memento in a little display cabinet that said I played in an All-Ireland Final in the 125th Year Anniversary of the founding of the GAA - even if I were from Cork.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Logan

Logan Supports O'Neills rejection of Ziggy's rejection of presentation relocation
04 September 2009

Logan has supported O'Neills rejection of Ziggy's rejection of the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

Logan has supported O'Neills appeal to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final not to run onto the field at the end of the game. With director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death", Logan supports O'Neill in agreeing after seeing Ziggy scooting about in a carefree manner last year on the park, goading the guards in the process using terminology including 'free-state', 'b**tards' and 'try an stop me' as he led the way with a pair of wire cutters.

"Logan suuports O'Neills denounciation of Ziggy's refusal to accept the GAA's request in this regard and hopes that he reflects on his attitude back in that God-forsaken hole Greencastle and just to continue his fretting of sheep in the greater Mid-Ulster area" a statement from Logan supporting O'Neill read released at lunch time just after he had his spuds.

"Loagn supports O'Neills wish to the the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads of the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season, but in reality he couldn't give a fcuk about the small ball."

Logan

Retraction:

Logan retracts his earlier statement of support for O'Neills rejection of Ziggy's rejection of presentation relocation
04 September 2009

Logan has categorically retracted his support for O'Neills rejection of Ziggy's rejection of the GAA's decision to relocate the presentation of All-Ireland trophies from the Hogan Stand to the centre of the Croke Park pitch.

Logan has retracted his statement supporting O'Neills appeal to supporters attending Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final not to run onto the field at the end of the game. With director-general Paraic Duffy warning that someone could be "trampled to death", Logan retracts all support for O'Neill in agreeing after seeing Ziggy scooting about in a carefree manner last year on the park, goading the guards in the process using terminology including 'free-state', 'b**tards' and 'try an stop me' - though he did lead the way with a pair of wire cutters nonetheless.

"Logan retracts his support for O'Neills denounciation of Ziggy's refusal to accept the GAA's request in this regard and hopes that he reflects on his attitude back in that God-forsaken hole Greencastle and just to continue his fretting of sheep in the greater Mid-Ulster area" a statement from Logan supporting O'Neill read released at lunch time just after he had his icecream after he had his spuds and tae.

"Loagn does however support O'Neills wish to the the Kilkenny and Tipperary squads of the very best of luck and thank fans from both counties for their continued support of the players throughout the season .... but it does in reality remain the fact that he still couldn't give a fcuk about the small ball."