Kerry in record equalling 6th All Ireland apperance in a row

Started by magickingdom, August 31, 2009, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's a fair record, and something to be surely and properly admired, but there's something very unKingdom-like in indulging in accolades for reaching the final (however many in succession that may be) -- 'appearance' connotes failure to go the whole way on one or more of those occasions.

And should Cork prevail on the 20th, I'd predict that memories and invocations of this particular record will vanish quicker than snow in a Saharan sun.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

betelgeuse

I suspect that one way or the other it will never be mentioned again post 20 September until some other team (if any) achieves or surpasses that number of appearances in finals.

rrhf

Saviours of football, team of the decade, finest finalists ever, miracles needed from Holy statues, in fairness to the PR whirlwind that surrounds Kerry football there must be a contract there that would make Max Clifford jealous.   

magickingdom

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2009, 08:03:32 AM
Unless you are winning finals they are a shit place to be.  they have played 3 teams unfit to be competitive and 2 that whalloped them to date.  Who beat them in their last semifinal will be a popular quiz question in Kerry for years to come. I remember how good it felt to get to the final in 86 even though we were beat and I remember how bad it felt in 95, I suppose it depends on where your ambitions lie.  Its a fair tribute to Tyrone when ye see Kerry men celebrating getting to an all ireland final.   Anyway I take my hat off to them.  Just hope forn their sake its not a 50% success rate after september.  I dont see how Dara can start against Cork with that lack of pace.  If Dara starts Cork should win handy alright.

do you want some cheese with that w(h)ine?

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 01, 2009, 10:41:14 AM
It's a fair record, and something to be surely and properly admired, but there's something very unKingdom-like in indulging in accolades for reaching the final (however many in succession that may be) -- 'appearance' connotes failure to go the whole way on one or more of those occasions.

And should Cork prevail on the 20th, I'd predict that memories and invocations of this particular record will vanish quicker than snow in a Saharan sun.

fear, no one is indulging in accolades just pointing out a remarkable achievement in gaa history. there are some on this board (not you) who refuse to say anything good about this kerry team

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair enough mk, I suppose I still remember the talk of the 5 SAMs in a row, and this seems so lite in comparison  ;) Still a remarkable achievement though.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: magickingdom on August 31, 2009, 07:27:07 PM
a record even beyond the famed 4 in a row team kerrys win on sunday puts them in their 6th all ireland in a row. this matches the record held by wexford and dublin. the question now is can kerry make the record their own next year by reaching 7 finals in a row?
To be fair on your 4 in a row team, they didn't have the back door. The current team have benefitted from the second chance. Am i correct in counting that 3 of those 6 in a row appearances have come via the back door?

Also, whilst not taking away from the general quality and achievements of this Kerry team, their path to the final this year was:
draw to Cork / lose replay - straight into Rd 2 of qualifiers
beat Longford
beat Sligo
beat Antrim
beat Dublin
beat Meath

I'd say there are a few teams outside of the 'top 3' that would have fancied their chances with that run.

rrhf

seeing we are on the subject how many beaten aifinal appearances have Kerry put in? 

Kerry Mike

Quoteseeing we are on the subject how many beaten aifinal appearances have Kerry put in?

This will be our 57th senior final.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

seafoid

I'd say Kerry would swap 6 AIF  appearances in a row for just one final win over Tyrone.   ;D

Kerry Mike

Found this in the pocket of my anorak

In the first decade of the senior football championship the 1880's Kerry did not play in any finals
In the 1890's decade we managed 1 appearance but lost
1900's played 5 won 3
1910's played 4 won 2
1920's played 5 won 3
1930's played 6 won 5
1940's played 5 won 3
1950's played 4 won 3
1960's played 6 won 2
1970's played 6 won 4
1980's played 6 won 5
1990's played 1 won 1
2000's played 7 won 4, (with 1 final still to come. )

A win in 3 weeks time will equal the 1930's and 1980's decades with 5 wins each, but already this decade has seen the most final appearances in a decade by Kerry and still the likes of Liam Hayes and co have a pop at us. Some people are never happy.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

QuoteI'd say Kerry would swap 6 AIF  appearances in a row for just one final win over Tyrone.

Away and shite with you , we are swapping nothing for 1986.......
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Rossfan

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 02, 2009, 07:36:18 PM
Quoteseeing we are on the subject how many beaten aifinal appearances have Kerry put in?

This will be our 57th senior final.

Jasus ye boys have lost more AI Finals than even Mayowestros  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

Mike thats an unbelievable number of finals.  Ye can never have the 1880s back though - abject failure - Id say there were multiple managerial sackings during that decade - Imagine the local pubs - "ye cant even beat Limerick ye shower o'" and the rest.  I think this Kerry team will be remembered as one of the greatest teams ever, with their wins coming at a time when Galeic Football was evolving,  more competitive, faster, more intense than in any previouis era, they  still managed to  acquire some impressive wins albeit the couldnt slay their dragon.  Its up to Tyrone to remain in the top 3 and build on this breakthrough  era to see if we can keep breaking yer hearts in the next decade.  Ye just wonder one of these years will Kerry give Tyrone an almighty tanking altogether? 

magpie seanie

Incredible stats on the finals from KM there and 6 finals in a row is simply superb despite some trying to belittle it. I sincerely hope Kerry do it. Obviously huge improvement needed but Kerry are never to be written off.

Logan

Some stat's
You forget how barren the 90's were for them too tho