All Ireland Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipp - 4 in a row for Kilkenny ?

Started by orangeman, August 30, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on September 06, 2009, 08:20:11 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 06, 2009, 08:16:05 PM

I thought Marty was going to get a dig in the gob. Loughnane was funny.  :D :D :D

He'd have (almost) deserved it too. Cody just won 4 in a row with possibley the greatest team of all time and this is stupid stuff Marty asks him in his first interview after it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Marty's penalty question could have waited. Cody was on a high after the win and took gorss offence at Marty's slight.

dowling

Balls lads and ladies, of course he's entitled to ask about the penalty. Why could Cody just not say, "Well Marty my view was blocked but those are the breaks you get,"   
Great match all the same, def thought Tipp the better team but couldn't say if the pen or the 'goat Dunne' changed the game althought if he hadn't been sent off I think Tipp might have won. But I wouldn't have bet on it. I will be betting on Tipp to win the AI next year though and maybe two or three in a row.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2009, 08:19:19 PM
The guilt the poor lad Dunne most be feeling..knowing that his actions pretty much cost Tipp their AI.

Why should someone pulling a stroke like that receive any sympathy. Don't forget there are plenty of matches where Tommy Walsh pulls the helmet off for the last part of the game. Lucky today wasn't he? Dunne should get everything that can be thrown at him.

The Real Laoislad

I don't think the sending off changed the game in KK's favour,it was the penalty that changed it and nothing else IMHO
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 06, 2009, 08:52:40 PM
I don't think the sending off changed the game in KK's favour,it was the penalty that changed it and nothing else IMHO

Agreed, The penatly was most significant.

I'm looking at the Dunne incident again. What was he thinking of ? As dirty a stroke as you're likely to see.

the Deel Rover

thats more or less what sheedy said in his interview . he thought they played well with the 14 men created a lot of space but with the penalty they went from 2 points ahead to a point down . also thought he remained very calm when dunne was sent off he went over to him and said a few words another manager would be bulling .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 06, 2009, 08:58:52 PM

thats more or less what sheedy said in his interview . he thought they played well with the 14 men created a lot of space but with the penalty they went from 2 points ahead to a point down . also thought he remained very calm when dunne was sent off he went over to him and said a few words another manager would be bulling .

From what I remember Tipp scored the next couple of points after he was sent off,if anything it made them more determined which often happens a team going a man down...
The penalty was a kick in the balls and there was only going to be one winner after that
You'll Never Walk Alone.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Minder

I know the winners usually get the man of the match, but Maher had some game at full back for Tipp.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Minder on September 06, 2009, 09:05:36 PM
I know the winners usually get the man of the match, but Maher had some game at full back for Tipp.

he was brilliant the amount of ball he caught was unreal . i think the kk goalie will get it . did you put money on kk minder ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

INDIANA

Quote from: dowling on September 06, 2009, 08:51:29 PM
Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2009, 08:19:19 PM
The guilt the poor lad Dunne most be feeling..knowing that his actions pretty much cost Tipp their AI.

Why should someone pulling a stroke like that receive any sympathy. Don't forget there are plenty of matches where Tommy Walsh pulls the helmet off for the last part of the game. Lucky today wasn't he? Dunne should get everything that can be thrown at him.

Plenty of games too Walsh has lowered the blades and got away with it. Dunne deserved to walk no question but the irony of it is captivating. 4 tipp lads went down after getting shoulders straight into the head and not one kilkenny player was booked. Yet Kirwan gave a penalty for nothing.

There are so few referess out there capable of getting the big calls in matches right. And that was an easy call. Becoming an epidemic in both codes if you ask me. The lack of consistency in world sport is unparalled in my view.

Minder

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 06, 2009, 09:08:51 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 06, 2009, 09:05:36 PM

he was brilliant the amount of ball he caught was unreal . i think the kk goalie will get it . did you put money on kk minder ?

Don't talk, I had a docket half written out in a bookies in Stillorgan, Galway minors and Kilkenny (-3) but didn't bother doing it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 06, 2009, 09:02:51 PM
whats the bets marty won't be in the city west tonight

Can't wait to see. Marty will need to go home and change the underwear first.  ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2009, 09:20:39 PM
Other than the penalty, I thought the ref did well.

Same here. The decision to award the penalty was incorrect but it would still have been a 21 yard free anyway. Kirwan also showed some backbone to send Benny Dunne off for his wild pull. Many refs might have bottled it considering it was an AIF and let him away with a yellow.

Kirwan let a lot go today but it wouldn't have been as good a game if he was whistling every thirty seconds for every small hit. I thought he was consistent in his decisions and he certainly didn't favour either side.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Lads that decision cost Tipp the bloody game. a 21 yard free with 8 defenders on the line is not the same as a penalty. The ref cannot have had a good game with a decision like that. It was one of the worst calls I ever seen. I've watched it about 6 times now- and it was actually a free out.