National Archives 1911 Census online

Started by muppet, August 30, 2009, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 31, 2009, 05:13:39 PM
My great grandfather on the mother's side was 100 in 1911 and 'had' my grandfather when he was 92!!!
What! Me thinks someone had a baby out of wedlock!

I've been talking to my oul ones about my findings, my Grandfather's age is wrong, he would have been 3 in 1911, not 5 as down in the census.  But it's definitely him. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Orior

Very few examples of people shacking up together - they dont seem to know the word for "Partner" as a relationship.

Also, not very many same sex marriages. Terrible altogether.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

saffron sam2

A few points.

The number of people who claimed to have the ability to read and write Irish and English. Were they all Shinners?

How the use of the terms Derry and Roman Catholic seem to have had none of the current baggage attached to them.

The elegant script used when forms were being completed as Gaelige.

The peelers didn't complete their full names, using only initials instead. And they were all Catholics from what would soon become the Free State.

My great-grandmother marrying (at 19) a 44 year old who couldn't read or write.

Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2009, 08:07:58 PM
Very few examples of people shacking up together - they dont seem to know the word for "Partner" as a relationship.

I believe the term was "Domestic Servant"
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

Or in Derry they call them 'son' and 'daughter'.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gerry

never realised we had a kings or queens counties
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Treasurer

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: Treasurer on September 01, 2009, 12:00:06 AM
Thanks Muppet, fascinating!!

Indeed, good find.
We had a servant then and he was from Armagh. Good to see they knew their place even back in 1911.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Roger

Quote from: gerry on August 31, 2009, 11:58:49 PM
never realised we had a kings or queens counties
::)

They're actually all counties of kings and queens as it's a British thing this county set-up you know  ;)

Duine Eile

Really interesting reading, pity the 1926 census won't be available until January 2027. ::)

Orior

I see that quite a lot of men didnt get married until they were in their mid-thirties, on account of thats the time they would either inherit land or had saved up enough to buy.

And then they usually married some wee 20 year-old chick.

ziggysego

Found this today. Found loads out about my Mum's side of the family. Rang her all excited.... she knew it all.  :(
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Does anyone think the census will be as interesting in 200 years time?

Ancestry will have been computerised yeah, but folk might be having an average of 5 marriages/ relationships/ meetings/ interventions /consultations, and artificial insemination could be the norm (none of that awfulness of sweaty bodies).

Maybe it will become genetic research instead?

D4S

Are there any links to any later censuses, say around the 1950s? Obviously with partition it mightn't be an all ireland cesus!

Found my grandfather who was aged 10 at time of census.  Interesting to see the number of infant deaths.  In his family his parents had 4 children born alive but only 2 remained, my grandfather and his brother.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

A Quinn Martin Production

Census info is "locked" for 100 years in the North and 75 years in the south.  There was no Census in 1921 due to the political situation in Ireland, in the North the 1931 Census was destroyed during WW2 and there was no Census in 1941 due to the war.  So the next Census for the north is 1951.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

D4S

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on September 02, 2009, 08:54:26 AM
Census info is "locked" for 100 years in the North and 75 years in the south.  There was no Census in 1921 due to the political situation in Ireland, in the North the 1931 Census was destroyed during WW2 and there was no Census in 1941 due to the war.  So the next Census for the north is 1951.

So there's no access to the 1951 census until around 2050. That's disappointing!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.