Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Thanks. but don't let me stop you gloating  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

longrunsthefox

Kerry Mike

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

longrunsthefox

What can I say? youse are the champs... will have to send the Tyrone boys down to sort youse out again... the rest of the country keeps bottling it...good night   8)

On_the_Couch

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 22, 2009, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 22, 2009, 11:15:20 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2009, 11:07:49 AM
The bottling theory is just lazy analysis. Did Tyrone bottle it against cork? Did Tyrone bottle it against Laois in 2006? Did Tyrone bottle it against Sligo in 2002? Just beaten by a better team. Same as Cork on Sunday.

That's not a great piece of analysis there either in fairness: we didn't make half the chances against Cork as they missed against Kerry, we weren't going great in 2006 and just didn't have it. Against Sligo, well, I would say that we actually did bottle it: we threw in the towel long before the end of that game when Sligo turned up the heat.

Despite the best of Kerry's efforts, Cork still had made many chances to convert very scorable opportunities, chances they were burying against ourselves, and once they'd found themselves iin those positions Kerry's tactics were neither here nor there, it was all upstairs.

Have to agree with fear there. Tyrone did bottle it against Sligo. They had better players and in the opening 20 minutes were blowing Sligo off the park. When Sligo came back and offered some resistance Tyrone just folded like a wet paper bag. Tyrone had a history of bottling it in big games in Croker at that stage and that team did not have the mental toughness required. Mickey Harte added that crucial element to Tyrone. They didnt bottle it in 2006, they were just missing so many key men and lost to a better team on the day. Dont think they bottled it this year either, they just turned in an unusually flat performance and didnt get away with it against a very talented and motivated team.

Cork are an excellent team but sadly they didnt seem to believe in themselves on Sunday, when the game started to slip away they did not keep their heads. Kerry on the other hand did not panic despite their slow start and clearly believed they had it in them to reel Cork back in. So much in sport is mental and Sunday, and indeed the closing 20 minutes of the 2008 final, showed that very clearly.

Pretty mediocre match on Sunday to end a pretty mediocre championship but the most deserving team always comes through in the end and congratulations to Kerry.

And what is the common denominator from the 2002 Sligo match and the 2009 Cork match?? John Bannon - only in 2002, he made god-damned sure Sligo got back into the game and this year he made god-damned sure Tyrone did not get back into it.  But hey, I'm not a bitter man nor do I hold petty grudges.

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longrunsthefox

Quote from: On_the_Couch on September 23, 2009, 12:23:11 AM
The bottling theory is just lazy analysis. Did Tyrone bottle it against cork? Did Tyrone bottle it against Laois in 2006? Did Tyrone bottle it against Sligo in 2002? Just beaten by a better team. Same as Cork on Sunday.

That's not a great piece of analysis there either in fairness: we didn't make half the chances against Cork as they missed against Kerry, we weren't going great in 2006 and just didn't have it. Against Sligo, well, I would say that we actually did bottle it: we threw in the towel long before the end of that game when Sligo turned up the heat.

Despite the best of Kerry's efforts, Cork still had made many chances to convert very scorable opportunities, chances they were burying against ourselves, and once they'd found themselves iin those positions Kerry's tactics were neither here nor there, it was all upstairs.

Have to agree with fear there. Tyrone did bottle it against Sligo. They had better players and in the opening 20 minutes were blowing Sligo off the park. When Sligo came back and offered some resistance Tyrone just folded like a wet paper bag. Tyrone had a history of bottling it in big games in Croker at that stage and that team did not have the mental toughness required. Mickey Harte added that crucial element to Tyrone. They didnt bottle it in 2006, they were just missing so many key men and lost to a better team on the day. Dont think they bottled it this year either, they just turned in an unusually flat performance and didnt get away with it against a very talented and motivated team.

Cork are an excellent team but sadly they didnt seem to believe in themselves on Sunday, when the game started to slip away they did not keep their heads. Kerry on the other hand did not panic despite their slow start and clearly believed they had it in them to reel Cork back in. So much in sport is mental and Sunday, and indeed the closing 20 minutes of the 2008 final, showed that very clearly.

Pretty mediocre match on Sunday to end a pretty mediocre championship but the most deserving team always comes through in the end and congratulations to Kerry.

And what is the common denominator from the 2002 Sligo match and the 2009 Cork match?? John Bannon - only in 2002, he made god-damned sure Sligo got back into the game and this year he made god-damned sure Tyrone did not get back into it.  But hey, I'm not a bitter man nor do I hold petty grudges.

sounds like you do. Your the first Tyrone person I have heard blame the ref for the Sligo defeat.

On_the_Couch

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 23, 2009, 05:50:58 PM
Quote from: On_the_Couch on September 23, 2009, 12:23:11 AM

sounds like you do. Your the first Tyrone person I have heard blame the ref for the Sligo defeat.

Blame would be too strong, but Bannon's performance that day certainly coloured my view on his ability to remain impartial throughout a game. And I've seen little since to make me revise that view.   

nobackdoor

The Cork footballers r a team of bottlers and have been for quiet sometime now. Some cars have an automatic choke, the Cork one has multiple chokes when faced with the green and gold. They should play Mayo in an annual battle of the choke and the winners could then go forward to take a hiding from the kingom.  :'(
The backdoor has ruined it

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SuperDooperCooper

A sweet, sweet win. Great to see Sam back on home soil again.
Donnacha Walsh and Sean O'sullivan brought the trophy into work today.
It is amazing the effect a piece of silver can have on people.
The langers as always are as gracious in defeat as they were in victory last June.
I have no doubt their time will come. Cork were the team of the year if not the team of the final.
Some year for Munster football only the Minor title escaped.
Munster the home of football!!

Kerry Mike

Kerry even make better videos than those langers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV-dQ0GAJaM

I loved the bit when Keane hung the Green and Gold outside the Kildare fellows pub, would love to have seen his face. Magic

I hear the Unicorn statue in Glenflesk on the main Cork-Killarney road was painted Red and White last week. And the white lines in Kilgarvan were also done red too. Da' Durty Langers were very confident.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

10/10 for the brass neck of him, though he'll get it broken one of these days!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magickingdom

some win by kerry delighted for kennelly more then anything else. just back from a few weeks in ny so i watched it there in an irish centre full to the rafters with people from all over ireland. in ireland we might easily forget what all ireland final day means around the world. there were jerseys from monaghan armagh waterford and everywhere else there, people of all ages but many old fellas that dont stray out too often now - great to see.
what to say about kerry, dara will be back! kennelly prob not imo, declan was super and another big day for t walsh but cork hadnt the bottle if the truth be told. tipp threw the kitchen sink at killkenny but cork barely tested kerry, there was a lot more in the tank if needed. as i said for the last few years this kerry team doesn't get half the respect it deserves and will get in time, what they have achieved is unbelievable. . thanks for another great year