Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 20, 2009, 09:04:19 PM
Despite the fact that he was wearing an Armagh jersey, my 14 year old son managed to get Paul Galvin's boots and Kieran Donaghy's gloves after the match was over. Full marks to both guys for this

Credit to both lads. Fair dues to then.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 20, 2009, 09:01:29 PM
Well done to the kingdom. a brilliant side with class acts all over the field. Im sure thats the end off big Darragh, what a legend, 6 all ireland medals. Kerry are a joy to watch and are team off the decade without doubt. Jack OConner is some manager.
they certainly can be when in full flow, today was not one of those days.  They out tyroned cork today.

paddypastit

Well now - where do ye start.

Not a great spectacle to be polite. Kerry got it right tactically and got the stangelhold on the middle of the park after the first 10 minutes that meant they were really comnfortable as long as they didn't take the foot off the pedal, which they didn't. It was a game for those that appreciate and analyse game plans and not for thoise looking to admire a beautiful game

Thought that Griffin, Tom O'Sullivan, T Se, Scanlon, Declan O'Sullivan, Galvin, Kennelly, Walsh and Cooper played well.

Being more critical though, for all the sallying out with the ball that got great attention, O'Sullivan was as much if not more screwed one to one by his man than any other Kerry defender right throughout the game- including Griffin's inglorious start - so that spoiled his book for me. He conceded four points from play and also the best goal chance that Cork got apart from the actual goal. T Se on the other hand smothered Kerrigan, picked and carried oodles of ball and weighed in with two points - if it goes to a Kerry back, then it has to be him. I backed Kennelly for MoM and was feeling good until Jack intervened and I thought that he, Galvin and Declan O'Sullivan were neck and neck in terms of the value of their very different contributions.  Walsh is a frustrating player for me.  He got great points but he also runs up blind alleys and tries sily things, often ending up in giving the ball away.  As yet for me he lacks the composure on the ball that marks out the aforementioned half forwards and Cooper, and it is a weakness, to the poiunt where I would have taken him out 10 minutes earlier than he was withdrawn just to keep the ball in the forward line longer.  Cooper wasn't great but he madre important contributions, ably helped by Lynch who today finally got caught out at the tricks he's been up to for years.  I have to say that I cannot understand why this guy is so highly rated.  All in though the guy that to me deserves MoM today is Scanlon for fielkding, tackling, passing, link up play and generally forcing Kerry on top after about 10 minutes before which they were being royally screwed. For me it is between him and T Se, although I suspect Walsh's points will put him in the frame, undeservedly IMO

Looking at Cork - poor day.  Their fortwards aftert a good looking sytart just didn't deliver.  MF and the HF were particularly disappointing.  I thought that Gouldiung and O'Neill could hold their heads but the volume of ball they got made it impossible. The half backs were eclipsed but all in they would not have been helpoed by their being chopped all over the place - think O'Leary was the only one that played the whole game in the one position.

All in I thought that two things were the difference between the teams.  Kerry were always comfortable on the ball and backed themselves to play the right ball as they saw it all the time - think of Griffin, the three O'Sullivans, the three O'Se's, McCarthy, Scanlon, Galvin, Kennelly, Cooper, Donaghy all 'playing' with the ball.  Secondly Kerry took the step foirward into every balling winning or contact situation - theye were that bit harder through the ball - Cork seemed a bit more hesitant - woitness all that tip tapping hand passing over and back the field for long period in the second half with no penetration.

Bottom line is Kerry were by far the better team and should have been further ahead at HT and again at FT. THe goal put a gloss on it for Cork but apart from the first 10 minutes and 5 minutes between the 50th and 55th minutes, they were a poor second. On that goal btw, fabulous finish but really think the keeper shopuld have done better and gone for the ball coming in from the free in the first place. He left the spce for the man to get onto the ball.

Finally on the ref. I'm a Sligo man myself but don't know the guy and never saw him ref anywhere other than in intercountry games. He comes with a reputation for being fussy and on the whole he was, after a 'Kirwanesque' start. Thought the card should have been out in the first 20 sec - yellow, not red.  He gave a few soft ones, both ways (witness the Cork 'free' on the stroke of half time) but picked up a lot that was subtle, not obvious but still fouls. Copped Lynch and it was as much not falling for the hype that Lynch is a sweet blond heired hero as that Cooper is an angel. Don't know what Galvin and O'Sullivan were booked for as both came after the play.  The incident with T Se was nothing - he was was being held by somebody and tried to get away - nothing in it.

Finally, I know there is a thread elsewhere but... what an awful minor match. Horrible - Mayo toothless, Armagh way overrated
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Donnellys Hollow

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Got to hand it to Kerry, they're never down for long.

Cork got a dream start but Kerry never panicked. Once they got a foothold in midfield halfway through the first half, the result was never really going to be in doubt in my mind.

The first half was very entertaining but Duffy was far too fussy after the break and the match deteriorated when Cork kicked their plethera of wides. That knocked the stuffing out of them and Kerry got away with being poor enough in the second half.

Tomás Ó Sé was my MOTM. One of the few Kerry players that wasn't asleep in the first ten minutes and kicked two inspirational points. If today was the last day that we'll see his deartháir in the Kerry engine room then we've been priveleged to see one of the greats.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

theskull1

We can eleaborate on how this game was won by Kerry but lets face it considering the form and physical presence of that Cork team, they quite simply bottled it and didn't have it in them to win today. I've been on teams that have bottled it so that comment was not me being smug
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 20, 2009, 09:41:02 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Got to hand it to Kerry, they're never down for long.

Cork got a dream start but Kerry never panicked. Once they got a foothold in midfield halfway through the first half, the result was never really going to be in doubt in my mind.

The first half was very entertaining but Duffy was far too fussy after the break and the match deteriorated when Cork kicked their plethera of wides. That knocked the stuffing out of them and Kerry got away with being poor enough in the second half.

Tomás Ó Sé was my MOTM. One of the few Kerry players that wasn't asleep in the first ten minutes and kicked two inspirational points. If today was the last day that we'll see his deartháir in the Kerry engine room then we've been priveleged to see one of the greats.
[/b]

+1

longrunsthefox

Don't know is the taem of the decade contrived to demean Tyrone's All Ireland wins. kerry go down the road yet again with Sam-can't argue with that. Can't believe Cork are now bottling All Irelands to Kerry as much as Mayo. Bore no resemblence to the way they outplayed and out muscled Tyrone. To see Tommy Walsh throwing over points like that was terrible indictment of Cork. Jees! yerra hit him a few skelps like big Joe did last year. Summer's over....

INDIANA

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2009, 09:54:10 PM
We can eleaborate on how this game was won by Kerry but lets face it considering the form and physical presence of that Cork team, they quite simply bottled it and didn't have it in them to win today. I've been on teams that have bottled it so that comment was not me being smug

the disappointment is that the key players never showed up.

Cúig huaire

Delighted for Kerry today, they won another All Ireland without ever getting out of third gear, but its always great to see the langers lose.
Paul Galvin was everywhere today, did all the dirty work and was seen in his own defence as often as he was in the forward line. Not just my man of the match but also my player of the year. Kerry proved yet again that form is temporary and class is permanent. Cork now know the true value of their Munster title.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

orangeman

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 20, 2009, 10:27:29 PM
Delighted for Kerry today, they won another All Ireland without ever getting out of third gear, but its always great to see the langers lose.
Paul Galvin was everywhere today, did all the dirty work and was seen in his own defence as often as he was in the forward line. Not just my man of the match but also my player of the year. Kerry proved yet again that form is temporary and class is permanent. Cork now know the true value of their Munster title.

Ask any of the Cork lads what they think of their Munster medals tonight and I think they'll not be placing a high value on them.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: orangeman on September 20, 2009, 10:39:17 PM

Ask any of the Cork lads what they think of their Munster medals tonight and I think they'll not be placing a high value on them.
Maybe they will turn up for the presentation this time though.

orangeman

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 20, 2009, 10:56:12 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 20, 2009, 10:39:17 PM

Maybe they will turn up for the presentation this time though.

Was talking to a few Cork lads today and all is still not well so they mightn't turn up the year either.

Cúig huaire

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

ExiledGael

mcgoldricks magic

my man of the match was tommy walsh, great scores and running out of him!
up the roes!