Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

GAA All Ireland Football Final Referees

The GAA have confirmed that Marty Duffy of Sligo has been appointed to referee the GAA All Ireland Senior football championship final between Kerry and Cork  at Croke Park on Sunday, September 20th.  The Enniscrone/Kilglass man will be taking charge of his first ever All Ireland senior final.  M. Duffy has previously refereed a number of Sligo and Connacht Finals and took charge of this years Allianz National Football League Final between Kerry and Derry.  He also officiated at the Dublin V Tyrone league meeting on 31st January 2009.

The ESB All Ireland minor football final will be refereed by Eddie Kinsella of  Laois.   He joined the National Referees panel in 2005 and won Junior and Intermediate Club Championships with his Club, Courtwood in 1988 and 1989.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fuzzman

Was just wondering there folks how many times has a team beaten the same team twice in one championship?
Has it ever happened?

I know Derry came back to haunt us back in 2001 I think & then we defeated Armagh in 2005 after forfeiting the Ulster final after a replay.

Has there been many other instances of where teams have beaten another team, having lost to them early in the year?

ballinaman

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 02, 2009, 12:02:00 PM
Was just wondering there folks how many times has a team beaten the same team twice in one championship?
Has it ever happened?

I know Derry came back to haunt us back in 2001 I think & then we defeated Armagh in 2005 after forfeiting the Ulster final after a replay.

Has there been many other instances of where teams have beaten another team, having lost to them early in the year?

Galway beat Ross in the 2001 quarter final after losing to them in the 1st round of the Championship.

blanketattack

Fuzzman

Off course I forgot about that game in 2005.

blanketattack

orangeman

Quote from: blanketattack on September 02, 2009, 02:39:37 PM
Kerry also beat Cork twice in 2007

Kerry recently have always seemed to beat Armagh when it mattered most. Maybe this year can be different.

Seamus

Should be a great game. Kerry will be primed and with the addition of Tadhg Kennelly and Paul Galvin in the half forward line and Mike McCarthy are a far better team than last year. The management team also have control of the dressing room.

The win in 2007 for me was a real anticlimax, we even had pity for Cork. This year on the other hand iif we win will be very sweet seeing how the year is turning out especially the way we are/were written off.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

johnpower

Now that the hurling has been decided the build up should begin in earnest . It will be a titanic battle . Not much coming out in terms of possible line ups or any potential injuries /changes .

I hope that Jack is working on a big improvement from the Meath game .

achtungantrim

hope kerry kick their ass*s. didn't think cynicism could sink as low as the cork tactics versus tyrone. kerry are a shoe-in. get the money on i'm telling you. 6-8 points winning margin for kerry, or i'll eat my trunks!

Jinxy

Quote from: Seamus on September 06, 2009, 02:49:11 PM
Should be a great game. Kerry will be primed and with the addition of Tadhg Kennelly and Paul Galvin in the half forward line and Mike McCarthy are a far better team than last year. The management team also have control of the dressing room.

The win in 2007 for me was a real anticlimax, we even had pity for Cork. This year on the other hand iif we win will be very sweet seeing how the year is turning out especially the way we are/were written off.

I'm not sure how you can say this.
They were far more impressive in the run to the final last year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2009, 02:37:41 PM
Quote from: Seamus on September 06, 2009, 02:49:11 PM

I'm not sure how you can say this.
They were far more impressive in the run to the final last year.

Indeed. Kerry (like Tyrone in fact) looked stronger on paper in 2009 than in 2008 but havent in the main lived up to that on the pitch. The point about the management team is debatable too, they didnt seem to have full control of the dressing room a few weeks ago ;D.

In typical GAA fashion Kerry were all to quickly written off on the back of a few poor performances. They were then similarly all too quickly proclaimed as a wonder team after one massive win (against a very flaky team). The truth is somewhere in between and it will be very interesting to see how Kerry perform on the big day. Will it be the somewhat tired looking Kerry we've seen most of the summer or the explosive version from the Dublin match?  It could be their mental hold over Cork will see them prevail but Id also have a slight position that if Cork hit the ground running they could roll right over the Kingdom.

blanketattack

Yeah, Kerry are definitely better than last year
- add a better manager, better trainer and essentially 3 new players - Paul Galvin, Mike Mac and Tadgh Kennelly

omagh_gael

Quote from: blanketattack on September 07, 2009, 08:04:54 PM
Yeah, Kerry are definitely better than last year
- add a better manager, better trainer and essentially 3 new players - Paul Galvin, Mike Mac and Tadgh Kennelly

I can't see where this notion is coming from, sure they were a kick away from being dumped out Nd that wasn't a result of a one off poor performance it was a build up of very poor games. One big win against a debatable top 5 side and they're bigged up as a wonder team. As has been said before they're somewhere in between but I expect cork will be too much, was very impressed by them against ourselves but you can never write off the kingdom! 

imtommygunn

I wouldn't say Kerry are better than last year at all. Donaghy is a massive loss.

Kerry last year looked invincible until the final. This year some may argue they had a much more measured approach or some may argue they just weren't firing. They've had to bring back Mike McCarthy and had to discipline boys so I;'d go for the latter but it will make them stronger.

It's rare they'd go into a final as underdogs. (They are in my eyes anyway) I think they'll be beat by a couple. It'll be tight though.