UEFA Charge Eduardo for Diving !

Started by Hoof Hearted, August 28, 2009, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8223917.stm

I assume this is a new rule, otherwise Ronaldo wouldn't have got too much game time in Europe over the past few years
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

full back

Between Stevie G & Ronaldo, they are very fortunate to have not got suspended in the past if this is now the case

Hoof Hearted

forgot about Gerrard too alright. LEt's face it, i game between an Italian and Spanish team would get some suspensions out of it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on August 28, 2009, 12:32:34 PM

I assume this is a new rule, otherwise Ronaldo wouldn't have got too much game time in Europe over the past few years

Firstly, this is good news if it signals a genuine attempt by UEFA to rid soccer of this curse. Slightly unfortunate for Eduardo that he'll be the first to suffer but no sympathy.

Secondly - you let yourself down by singling out one player, albeit a prime example. I'm sure whatever team you follow they have a few divers in their midst.

full back

It is good to try and stamp this out but lets hope that it is applied to all games and not just certain games where the media grasp onto it as well as opposition players going out about it

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Billys Boots

Why then has it been applied in this case, rather than countless others?  Does it require a complaint to do so?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2009, 12:39:28 PM

Firstly, this is good news if it signals a genuine attempt by UEFA to rid soccer of this curse. Slightly unfortunate for Eduardo that he'll be the first to suffer but no sympathy.

Secondly - you let yourself down by singling out one player, albeit a prime example. I'm sure whatever team you follow they have a few divers in their midst.
[/b]

they probably do, but playing in the lower leagues i don't see whether they dive or not !!

Main Street

What are the odds
Wenger
a. Applauds UEFA and will cooperate fully with UEFA in their (feeble) attempts to clean up club sanctioned cheating.
or
b. Why pick on us for exclusive scrutiny?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2009, 12:39:28 PM

True - Owen is like a direct swap for Ronaldo in this instance.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on August 28, 2009, 12:38:13 PM
forgot about Gerrard too alright. LEt's face it, i game between an Italian and Spanish team would get some suspensions out of it.
maybe 10-15 years ago i'd agree , but english clubs and players are getting as bad - not all players but quite a lot.

magpie seanie

The English players are not as good at it though. The Spanish/Italians are taught it from a young age according to what I hear. That said Damian Duff is one of the "best" I've seen.

clarshack

glad to hear it. its a start in trying to rid the game of this curse.

however will uefa have the balls to charge a big name i.e. ronaldo when he dives next?

Will Hunting

Mickey Harte's praying they don't bring these sanctions into the GAA!

Larry Duff

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2009, 01:20:29 PM
What are the odds
Wenger
a. Applauds UEFA and will cooperate fully with UEFA in their (feeble) attempts to clean up club sanctioned cheating.
or
b. Why pick on us for exclusive scrutiny?

He'd be correct in doing so.  I'm not going to defend Eduardo's actions but the decision to single him out is ridiculous, how many others have been guilty of diving in recent seasons but have gone unpunished?  If UEFA had made a statement at the beginning of the season that they were implementing a crackdown on this sort of thing then fair enough, but instead they have reacted to the complaints of sore losers and the over reaction of the british media. Why would the press decide to turn Eduardo into some sort of hate figure?  Who do England play in there next game?