Carey says Walsh is victim of rivals' cynical tactics

Started by Premier Emperor, August 28, 2009, 08:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

I never realised DJ had become a comedian!  ;D

--

Carey says Walsh is victim of rivals' cynical tactics

Thursday August 27 2009

KILKENNY legend DJ Carey has hit back at the critics of Cats' wing-back Tommy Walsh, branding their assessment of the Tullaroan star as "unjustified" and "very unfair".

Carey claimed that Walsh is "booked before every game" and is the victim of cynical tactics because of his reputation. He also went on to suggest that a camera could be focused on the Kilkenny wing-back for the entire All-Ireland final to prove once and for all that he is "not a dirty player".

"He is booked before every game," Carey said. "Every game I specifically look at Tommy Walsh to see what is happening and invariably from the throw-in, and even before the throw-in, (teams are) tearing into him.

"I think if a camera was put on Tommy Walsh during a game, you would see how dirty he is. And you know what, if he is (dirty) he should be sent off.

unjustified

"I think it is totally unjustified. I think Brian (Cody) doesn't come out and say that because he is not that type of guy. But I would be very angry.

"I would also be angry if a Kilkenny guy was dirty. I would not like to see it and I don't condone it but also I don't like to see a guy being hammered, whether it is Tommy Walsh of Kilkenny or it is some other guy from around the country. It is unjustified and it should not be happening."

Last year, Walsh was criticised for tossing his hurl across Diarmuid Lyng's legs in the Leinster final and he was the centre of attention again after this year's provincial semi-final win over Galway, when he seemed fortunate to escape further censure despite picking up a yellow card early in the game.

However, after winning six consecutive All Star awards in four different lines as part of an all-conquering Kilkenny side, Carey believes it is a case of success breeding contempt.

"Maybe it is because Kilkenny are so successful and Ger Loughnane came out with that statement about Kilkenny guys living on the edge a number of years ago -- now the cameras are honing in on that.

"But, you know what, I have broken all my fingers and a lot of them were justified because my hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am not going to turn around and say that there was a dirty tackle if my hand was there for the ball. It is my job to protect that.

"I think what teams are looking at, whether it is individuals or whether it is management, or whoever it is, they are looking at this and they are saying, 'rattle Tommy, get stuck into him and you might get him sent off'. I think it is a game-plan to actually get him sent off which is something that should not be happening in the game.

"If he deserves to be sent off, absolutely, send him off and I would have no argument with that. But this thing of off-the-ball stuff has to be cut out of our game because there is too much of it happening in both hurling and football."

Carey believes the Tipperary front six represent the most potent attack Kilkenny have faced all summer and urged Brian Cody to start Noel Hickey at full-back despite his ongoing injury problems and let JJ Delaney out to his 'best position' of wing-back

"If I was Brian I would be putting Noel Hickey in, but whether he will or not I don't know because Brian is pretty strong on guys being fully fit.

"The last time Brian didn't play guys that were fully fit was the 2001 All-Ireland semi-final against Galway (which Galway won 2-15 to 1-13) and I think he swore to himself that day unless guys can prove they are 100pc fit they won't be going on the field.

"Kilkenny are coming up against a threat that they haven't come up against in the last number of years and that's a goal-scoring team.

"I think potentially Tipperary have goals in them, which Kilkenny have not really come up against bar Galway. But I think Galway -- if you take Joe Canning out of the set-up -- struggled, and struggled all year."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/carey-says-walsh-is-victim-of-rivals-cynical-tactics-1870750.html

INDIANA

Yep Damien Hayes had his hand in the wrong place alright. Kilkenny play right on the edge and step over it quite a bit. When you do - you get criticism. Deal with it lads.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on August 28, 2009, 10:59:40 AM
Yep Damien Hayes had his hand in the wrong place alright. Kilkenny play right on the edge and step over it quite a bit. When you do - you get criticism. Deal with it lads.

surely you mean Damien Hayes' hip rather than his hand, no?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 28, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

Hip?
It was clearly on the hand.
DJ never mentioned throwing the hurl either  ;D

the waffler

lads face it walsh one of the greatest hurlers of his time,love to see him play with aggresation (CONTROLLED) and his skills ,for a lad of his size he really shows up a lot of bigger lads

EddieMerx

Walsh is a fine hurler but he is prone to the wild pull

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 28, 2009, 10:24:46 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 28, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

Hip?
It was clearly on the hand.
DJ never mentioned throwing the hurl either  ;D

Wrong, it was clearly his hip. He went down holding his hand in an attempt to get Tommy Walsh sent off. The TV pictures show this clearly.

The Forfeit Point

some man to be talkin  ::)

walsh is a great hurler but cant take a shine to him for the antics he gets up to

imtommygunn

Let's be honest - Eoin McGrath was sent out to "target" him in the semi final.

The ball wasn't even in and he was at it. I'd bet Davy Fitz sent him to do it too...

robbedin82

I think poor old DJ is suffering from a bit of Paranoia.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

slow corner back

Tommy Walsh, while steady this year has not been spectacular as yet. Could tomorrow be the day for him to nail down this years all star?

the waffler

Quote from: slow corner back on September 05, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Tommy Walsh, while steady this year has not been spectacular as yet. Could tomorrow be the day for him to nail down this years all star?
Quote from: slow corner back on September 05, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
LEGEND