RIRA Checkpoints

Started by CĂșig huaire, August 26, 2009, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I'm sure you will agree, or perhaps not, that say in the 80s and early 90s in was more commonplace and therefore understood and almost accepted as part of that job. Although you or I might not think such a risk would be carried these days, that incident proved differently.

Its only not alright now because SF say so.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:03:20 PM
Now you're putting words in my mouth.
I don't think I am. You said:
PS I did not agree with the killing of that last cop.
Does that mean that you agreed with the previous killings? If not, you could have said that you didn't ever agree with the killing of cops. But you made the distinction.
I'm not putting words in your mouth - i'm asking you a straight question and allowing you to clarify.

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:03:20 PM
Its only not alright now because SF say so.
Are you serious or taking the piss?

SidelineKick

Answer 1) Would I wish for a cop to get shot? No. Would I lose sleep when it did happen? No.  Like a soldier, when joining the cops in the north, at those times, they also knew the risks.

2) What would make you think I'm taking the piss? Any republican not in SF with half an opinion now is an outcast.

Reported.

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:16:13 PM
Answer 1) Would I wish for a cop to get shot? No. Would I lose sleep when it did happen? No.  Like a soldier, when joining the cops in the north, at those times, they also knew the risks.
It wasn't about what you wished for or lost sleep over. It was about whether you agreed with the killings.

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:16:13 PM
2) What would make you think I'm taking the piss? Any republican not in SF with half an opinion now is an outcast.
It's just strange that people can't decide what is right/wrong or acceptable/unacceptable without looking to SF. Have people no minds of their own?

SidelineKick

Maybe you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not a SF supporter, nor do I support dissidents. I am a republican and I dont have to be affiliated with any organisation to have an opinion.  What I meant was, its a disgrace the likes of McGuinness calling other men "traitors to Ireland" for doing what they did not all that long ago.

Reported.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2009, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 01, 2009, 05:48:11 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 01:28:57 PM
Well it's not that it's "good enough for them" hound, I'm just saying they cant be painted as being innocent as you would a civillian, they are f**king soldiers! They knew what they were signing up to! If an IRA member was shot who here would describe them as being innocent?

This "innocent young lad" rubbish about soldiers is absurd.
What's the story on the police these days then? Are they still 'legitimate targets'? Or are they now 'innocent'?
I'd say they're legitimate targets for anyone who wants to shoot at them, like the soldiers they know what they're signing up to.
:o
If youre happy enough to live in a lawless wild west society. What exactly makes a policeman/woman a legitimate target?
Because they're proping up British military presence.   and I have grown up and lived in a lawless society and it's still lawless because the police will do NOTHING!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:28:13 PM
Maybe you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not a SF supporter, nor do I support dissidents. I am a republican and I dont have to be affiliated with any organisation to have an opinion.  What I meant was, its a disgrace the likes of McGuinness calling other men "traitors to Ireland" for doing what they did not all that long ago.
Agree with that, lost a lot of respect for him after that.

Puckoon

Hold on pints, they are legitimate targets for being shot at because your opinion suggests they are propping up british military presence?

So if a young catholic lad goes out to earn some money and joins the PSNI, its ok if RIRA members shoot him?

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2009, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 01, 2009, 05:48:11 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 01:28:57 PM
Well it's not that it's "good enough for them" hound, I'm just saying they cant be painted as being innocent as you would a civillian, they are f**king soldiers! They knew what they were signing up to! If an IRA member was shot who here would describe them as being innocent?

This "innocent young lad" rubbish about soldiers is absurd.
What's the story on the police these days then? Are they still 'legitimate targets'? Or are they now 'innocent'?
I'd say they're legitimate targets for anyone who wants to shoot at them, like the soldiers they know what they're signing up to.
:o
If youre happy enough to live in a lawless wild west society. What exactly makes a policeman/woman a legitimate target?
Because they're proping up British military presence.   and I have grown up and lived in a lawless society and it's still lawless because the police will do NOTHING!
So should we just have no police? Or just no police until there's a united Ireland?

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 01, 2009, 06:28:13 PM
Yes, I agree. It's the height of hypocricy.

But you still haven't said whether it was acceptable to shoot cops, prior to the recent killing in Craigavon. That was my question. And if it was, what has changed since (other than SF changing their position)?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2009, 06:45:29 PM
Hold on pints, they are legitimate targets for being shot at because your opinion suggests they are propping up british military presence?

So if a young catholic lad goes out to earn some money and joins the PSNI, its ok if RIRA members shoot him?
I'm not saying it's ok for anyone to shoot anyone, the young lad will know what he's signing up to and that the RUC is still a long way from being an acceptable police force to a lot of nationalists. 

QuoteSo should we just have no police? Or just no police until there's a united Ireland?
No, we should have a proper, accountable police force that represents the whole community.

Puckoon

But it's not the RUC is it? The RUC is a convenient tag from those who want it to fail. Until people realize that attitudes which suggest it's ok to shoot at the police in northern Ireland are outdated, nothing is going to change. How do we get a more balanced police force (which I assume you want) if we can't get Catholics to join it because the "it's ok to shoot the cops" mentality still prevails?

I think we all need some group therapy... Now everyone repeat after me

"it's not ok to shoot people, it's not ok to shoot people, ITS NOT OK TO SHOOT PEOPLE"!

There's hugs and an ice cream social after were finished with our rehabilitation.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2009, 07:58:53 PM
But it's not the RUC is it? The RUC is a convenient tag from those who want it to fail. Until people realize that attitudes which suggest it's ok to shoot at the police in northern Ireland are outdated, nothing is going to change. How do we get a more balanced police force (which I assume you want) if we can't get Catholics to join it because the "it's ok to shoot the cops" mentality still prevails?

"it's not ok to shoot people, it's not ok to shoot people, ITS NOT OK TO SHOOT PEOPLE"!

There's hugs and an ice cream social after were finished with our rehabilitation.
Well it is the RUC, a new uniform and name doesnt change much.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2009, 08:01:17 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2009, 07:58:53 PM

Well it is the RUC, a new uniform and name doesnt change much.
Your ignorance of the changes that have taken place in policing here is understandable, given the fact that you live in England. Nationalists and republicans have accepted the PSNI, if recruitment numbers are anything to go by. Out on the ground, the main gripe that nationalists would have with the police these days is that their response times leave something to be desired. The only people stiil refusing to recognise the new policing dispensation are the same people who go out shooting pizza delivery boys, together with their supporters. Oh yeah, and people who live in England.

ardmhachaabu

My problem with the PSNI is that although there have been major changes to the way policiing is run here, there seems to be a reluctance (for want of a word) on their behalf to arrest and charge criminal elements in nationalist communities.  Maybe the same thing happens in loyalist communities, I don't know for sure.  All I know is that in some nationalist communities these scumbags are free to roam about day and night and practically terrorise some people.  The PSNI obviously know who they are since they all have criminal records yet... they seem to get away with so much.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something