Barcelona

Started by stephenite, August 26, 2009, 11:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: declan85 on August 26, 2009, 03:29:15 PM
At the bottom(near the sea) of los ramblas is the statue of Colombus, you can get the lift to the top of that and see the whole city...
PS Along the pedestrian part of los ramblos theres a few cafe bars mainly for tourists, big glass(pint and a half) of beer is 13euro. Of course they dont tell ya that until youve it drank...
My brother was there earlier this year and brought me back his receipt showing that two pints in los ramblas was 25 yo yos  :o :o - we only thought Dublin was expensive!

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

I've taken a few school trips to Barcelona over the past few years - i would suggest getting a metro card and travelling around by train and bus - if you get a t10 card you can share it with another person for 10 journies and we found that the bus very rarely mind if you use it or not. A great place to eat is aplace called Quitz Nitz (i think!) in Placa Reial which is just off las ramblas, it doesnt take bookings so you have to queue up and quite often this  gets quite large early evening. Food is cheap but very good - theres also a few irish bars around there as well - Reillys and o'hara's i think! Places to go - parc guell, take the cable car from the beech to mount juic and get to the magic fountains at some stage! Great city!!
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: deiseach on August 26, 2009, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 26, 2009, 11:42:50 AM
Go see the cathedral. Tell me if its finished

It's finished

That s not it. I assume Fitz was talking about Gaudi s Sagrada Famalia?

moysider

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 26, 2009, 04:08:06 PM
Quote from: declan85 on August 26, 2009, 03:29:15 PM
At the bottom(near the sea) of los ramblas is the statue of Colombus, you can get the lift to the top of that and see the whole city...
PS Along the pedestrian part of los ramblos theres a few cafe bars mainly for tourists, big glass(pint and a half) of beer is 13euro. Of course they dont tell ya that until youve it drank...
My brother was there earlier this year and brought me back his receipt showing that two pints in los ramblas was 25 yo yos  :o :o - we only thought Dublin was expensive!

What was he drinking? Pints of Tia Maria? Anybody who goes to Barcelona and drinks guinness deserves to get fleeced. You d get a large Mahou Classica for 2 or 3 euros in any local café. A better beer as well.

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Capt Pat

You know what really grinds my gears, if something in Ireland doesn't get finished on time like a national stadium, Luas lines, motor ways etc everybody bitches and moans about it yet the Catalans spend about 50 years on this thing and still can't finish this job of architecture and civil engineering and they manage to turn it into one of the worlds biggest and best tourist attractions. I wonder if we could set up tours to the sight of the proposed Bertie Bowl in Abbotstown and call it a ghost stadium that never appeared. :-*

moysider

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 26, 2009, 07:24:34 PM

You know what really grinds my gears, if something in Ireland doesn't get finished on time like a national stadium, Luas lines, motor ways etc everybody bitches and moans about it yet the Catalans spend about 50 years on this thing and still can't finish this job of architecture and civil engineering and they manage to turn it into one of the worlds biggest and best tourist attractions. I wonder if we could set up tours to the sight of the proposed Bertie Bowl in Abbotstown and call it a ghost stadium that never appeared. :-*

It s not supposed to be finished. It s ahead of schedule. It was started in the 1880s and using the construction practices of the time it was expected to take hundreds of years. Besides its a work of Art and Gaudi s design must be followed to the letter. It should be finished in 20 or 30 years. Not bad when you consider Europes great cathedrals like Chatres, Notre Dame and Palma took several hundreds of years. We have never attempted a project like this.

Tony Baloney

Was first there about 12 years ago and went back again a couple of years back. Great city and like all major cities you can hang around the tourist traps and get ripped off or you can literally walk a hundred yards up a side street from Las Ramblas and get great tapas and wine for very little spend. From what I remember the best tapas places were down near the port.

Montjuic by cable car is well worth a visit as someone has mentioned. Nou Camp also worth visiting, Stadio Olympico less so. A wander around the port area is nice and there are plenty of expensive holes or places were you can get a huge pot of mussels for a few euro.

Las Ramblas can't really be avoided if you are going anywhere but it is full of pickpockets. Off Las Ramblas is Quinze Nits and does good food without breaking the bank. La Sagrada Familia is good to see and I would also visit Parc Guell. I stumbled upon a Jewish graveyard in the city which was a spooky wee place.