GAA 125 Celebrations - Relay

Started by RMDrive, August 24, 2009, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

I thought it was disappointing that RTE didn't see fit to show this yesterday and even when they did deign to show a ridiculously short clip of it, they didn't even know who had won! At least the beeb showed it even though their camera angle was poor.

If the GAA was serious about showcasing this part of the association they should have made sure that the TV stations were going to give it proper coverage.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2009/0824/ireland_athletics.html

Derval O'Rourke of Leevale AC rounded off what has been an outstanding week for her by captaining Munster to glory in Croke Park yesterday, winning the Inter-Provincial Relay which formed part of the GAA 125 Celebrations.

O'Rourke was joined by club mates Ailis McSweeney and David Quilligan, Cork Ladies' Football star Angela Walsh, Clare hurler James McEnerney and David O'Shea of Dooneen AC.

The GAA guest of honour Olive Loughnane of Loughrea AC received a hero's welcome, as she led the teams out onto the pitch after her tremendous silver medal performance at the World Championships in the 20km Walk.

Team captains David Gillick (Leinster), Paul Hession (Connacht), Anna Boyle (Ulster) and O'Rourke (Munster) were introduced to the crowd as the atmosphere began to build among the 50,000 plus spectators.

Munster were drawn in Lane 1, Connacht Lane 2, Ulster Lane 3 and Leinster Lane 4. It was a competitive race throughout with spectators getting truly involved in what was a unique opportunity to see Ireland's elite athletes battle it out alongside GAA stars in Croke Park.
The warmest reception was given to O'Rourke, with many of the Cork contingent chanting her name in Hill 16 as she waited to receive the baton. The Cork woman didn't disappoint as she ran a storming leg before passing on to footballer Angela Walsh.

Mirroring the action on the pitch that day Munster got the better of Ulster to win the Super Sprint relay race in what was a very tight finish between Stuart Connor (St Michael's, Enniskillen AC) and David O'Shea (Dooneen AC).

The teams met at the home of Athletics in Ireland, Morton Stadium and were then brought by bus to the home of the GAA, Croke Park. The athletes had a specially allocated warm-up zone in the tunnel that surrounds Croke Park.
There was a sense of camaraderie in the provincial teams which were made up of both athletes and GAA players. It provided a great opportunity for many of our up and coming stars to interact with Ireland's talented elite athletes. Close to the time of walk-out to the pitch captains took the time to give motivational team talks. O'Rourke's was a simple message 'Just win'.

lynchbhoy

said to the Cork fella beside me - " what mad oul sihte is this"

but it was great, somehting different and a good idea to help Celebrate the Athletic aspect of the GAA.

Didnt know they didnt show it on the telly. Pity. The crowd certainly got into it !
Great craic! The Antrim fotballer (name escapes me) brought Ulster back into it !

the colonel

LB I'd go for either Tony Scullion (TS express) or James Loughrey from Antrim if it was one of the footballers
the difference between success and failure is energy

loughshore lad

It was James Loughrey and he is a flyer!

magpie seanie

It was just typical that RTe didn't show this. Instead we had to watch Spillane making a tit of himself once more.

gerry

I knew tyrone where doomed when we came second.

It was well organised though, first they got their lanes mixed up and then they waited for the starters plstol to start the race after a short delay. If the gaa was so keen on it you would think that they would have had some info on it in the programme.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

DuffleKing

Quote from: gerry on August 24, 2009, 05:16:18 PM

It was well organised though, first they got their lanes mixed up and then they waited for the starters plstol to start the race after a short delay. If the gaa was so keen on it you would think that they would have had some info on it in the programme.

2 pages in the programme wasn't enough for you?

they even had the page numbers up on the big screen...

mountainboii

I thought Ulster were robbed, defintely looked to have won from where I was sitting  >:( :)

Paul Hession can seriously move, and that was on grass and probably only half bothering.

gerry

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 24, 2009, 05:18:37 PM
Quote from: gerry on August 24, 2009, 05:16:18 PM

2 pages in the programme wasn't enough for you?

they even had the page numbers up on the big screen...

Must have missed that
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2009, 06:07:40 PM
I thought Ulster were robbed, defintely looked to have won from where I was sitting  >:( :)

Not so sure. The Ulster lad that run the second leg definitely jumped the gun a wee bit, i.e. he touched hands about five yards out!  ;)

Orior

I saw the race on BBC. Was like watching ants - I'd have liked a close up a la the Olympics home straight camera.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mick999

From where I was I thought Ulster had won as well, But I think there was a disqualification for starting too quick on 1 of the legs ..
Did ye notice that in 1 of the legs there was 2 men against 2 women ... I thought that was a bit strange ..

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2009, 06:07:40 PM

Paul Hession can seriously move, and that was on grass and probably only half bothering.
[/b]

He was absolutely flying. Shocking how fast he was going.

Glensman

Anywhere this can be watched online?

Kerry Mike

Great win for Munster, would make you proud, another win to add to the Roll of Honour for the province with the homes of Hurling and Football and we also have Cork too  :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football