Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 28, 2009, 09:11:54 AM
Jesus FB are you actually serious?

What do you think linesmen and umpires are for?

What they should be for & what they actually do are two totally different issues

We will have to agree to differ on this one

Final Whistle

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 28, 2009, 09:06:42 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 28, 2009, 08:57:02 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2009, 06:34:43 PM
If someone punches you in the head playing football you have two options in my opinion - you punch him back and risk getting sent off yourself, or you go down to draw the refs attention to the incident (which is why mcguigan went down) and increase the chances of getting the dirty hoor who hit you sent off - which is exactly what he deserves! In the context of this match mcguigan took the correct action! If it was a local club reserve game - i'd have hit him back!

What would you have done sidelinekick? Stay on your feet, then what?

So Aidan O'Mahony was right to collapse when he got touched against Cork, Miskella should have collapsed when McGuigan elbowed him also and any time any player suffers any contact on the pitch he should fall over straight away to get the free

DFS are you being serious here or sarcastic?

FB

Let me ask you this:

Someone hit Chrissy McKaigue in the first round of the Ulster Championship, it wasn't much of a box, but a box nonetheless.  Was he right to fall to the ground?  Because from memory there was outrage at his diving and play acting to get a man sent off, something I agreed had no place in our game.

McKaigue was told to get up.

Chances are if you throw a box you will be caught at that level, which Miskella was (baffling as to how he stayed on), but I have yet to see a game descend in to anarchy because someone didnt lie down.

Who was it that lay down when Hub Hughes hit them a dig in the guts in 06 Omagh Sideline?
Do you think that if B McG didnt hit the deck on Sunday would Miskella have been sent off/booked/ or receieved no punishment???

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2009, 09:14:41 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 28, 2009, 09:11:54 AM
Jesus FB are you actually serious?

What do you think linesmen and umpires are for?

What they should be for & what they actually do are two totally different issues

We will have to agree to differ on this one

We will, though I will say the umpire DID bring it to Bannon's attention. It was Bannon's decision that was crazy.

FW I cant remember who it was, but I am not on for lying down unless is necessary.  Nothing to to with the Hughes incident but in my opinion a box to the guts is more likely to floor you than one to the head, would that not be right? You'd more than likely be winded.

Not sure if Miskella would have been punished, probably not to be honest.  If Miskella played outside the rules he should be punished.  A box is a box and whether a man goes down or remains on his feet, should be treated as such - red card.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 28, 2009, 09:27:11 AM
A box is a box and whether a man goes down or remains on his feet, should be treated as such - red card.

But that is the point we are trying to make

If a man doesnt go down the guy who done it wont be punished, end of story

How else is the man who done it going to get what he deserves if the referee's attention isnt drawn to it?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 28, 2009, 09:06:42 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 28, 2009, 08:57:02 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2009, 06:34:43 PM
If someone punches you in the head playing football you have two options in my opinion - you punch him back and risk getting sent off yourself, or you go down to draw the refs attention to the incident (which is why mcguigan went down) and increase the chances of getting the dirty hoor who hit you sent off - which is exactly what he deserves! In the context of this match mcguigan took the correct action! If it was a local club reserve game - i'd have hit him back!

What would you have done sidelinekick? Stay on your feet, then what?

So Aidan O'Mahony was right to collapse when he got touched against Cork, Miskella should have collapsed when McGuigan elbowed him also and any time any player suffers any contact on the pitch he should fall over straight away to get the free

DFS are you being serious here or sarcastic?

FB

Let me ask you this:

Someone hit Chrissy McKaigue in the first round of the Ulster Championship, it wasn't much of a box, but a box nonetheless.  Was he right to fall to the ground?  Because from memory there was outrage at his diving and play acting to get a man sent off, something I agreed had no place in our game.

McKaigue was told to get up.

Chances are if you throw a box you will be caught at that level, which Miskella was (baffling as to how he stayed on), but I have yet to see a game descend in to anarchy because someone didnt lie down.

Was being totally sarcastic

Hardy

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2009, 09:31:09 AM
A box is a box and whether a man goes down or remains on his feet, should be treated as such - red card.

How else is the man who done it going to get what he deserves if the referee's attention isnt drawn to it?

It's not any player's job to see that another player gets what he deserves, never mind, as is more often intended, what he doesn't deserve. Neither is it a player's job to draw the referee's attention to anything. That's not a credible defence of diving and feigning. We all know the reason players dive and feign and it's not to assist in efficient officiating.

I think I've just invented a new tongue-twister.

full back

Not getting involved anymore

Hardy is  WUM & SK is being awkward

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on August 28, 2009, 12:04:21 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 11:41:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 27, 2009, 11:33:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 11:32:36 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 27, 2009, 11:30:21 PM
Let him play the final, I have no issue with that (in a feck it, he got away with it way). If they win, he should hand his medal back as he doesn't deserve it.*

However, this has set a precedent and next year will be interesting. Video evidence is gone after this.

*That was just a joke for Sidelinekick.

Am I correct in saying video evidence can only be used in instances where the officials took no action?
No. That rule is long gone.

Operational Principles
(1) A committee or Council in Charge may use video evidence to substantiate/complement/clarify what is contained in a Referees Report.
(2) A Committee or Council in Charge or Investigating Committee may use video evidence to formulate and prefer charges in relation to alleged offences not contained in a Referee's Report.
(3) Where a member or unit requests permission to use video evidence in any proceedings, the member or unit shall make such request in writing to the Committee or Council in Charge in advance of the date of hearing, stating the reason(s) for such request and specifying the source of the video evidence.
The Subcommittee further recommends that where the Games' Administration
Committee of the Central Council proposes to use video evidence to determine
whether a charge should be initiated against a member or unit, it shall appoint a
Subcommittee from within its membership to view the video and establish whether a
prima facie case exists. The Subcommittee shall report its findings to the parent
Committee and take no further part in the disciplinary process."

http://www.sportsdra.ie/documents/dra42005final.pdf
Point 1 then.

(1) A committee or Council in Charge may use video evidence to substantiate/complement/clarify what is contained in a Referees Report.

That is very limiting if the referee has taken action as he had in this case with the yellow card.

My read of that (just my opinion) is they could merely add to the referees report and not overturn his action. Frank Murphy would have a field day if they upgraded to red.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2009, 09:49:35 AM
Not getting involved anymore

Hardy is  WUM & SK is being awkward

Taking your ball and going home?  :P

turk

The only place for divers is in a swimming pool!

SidelineKick

**Knock knock knock**

"Hello Mrs Back, is Full coming out to play?"

"No dear he's not in the mood."

Reported.

timmykelleher

In the 1990 all-ireland Colm O'Neill gave Mick Lyons a nice clip on the jaw.
Mick turned and went back into position.
Ref did his job and sent O'Neill off without a player losing respect by rolling on the floor.

As mentioned previously in the thread a ref can't just presume a player has been hit because he is on the ground.

Imagine if a player A ran at player B in an all-ireland final.
When player B raises his hands to fend off A, player A could (if he had a lack of respect for himself and his opponent) collapse to the ground clutching his face. Imagine how tainted our game and player A's first all-ireland would be if the ref bought into this sham and sent player B off.   :o
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

SidelineKick

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 28, 2009, 10:41:26 AM

Ref did his job and sent O'Neill off without a player losing respect by rolling on the floor.

As mentioned previously in the thread a ref can't just presume a player has been hit because he is on the ground.

Imagine if a player A ran at player B in an all-ireland final.
When player B raises his hands to fend off A, player A could (if he had a lack of respect for himself and his opponent) collapse to the ground clutching his face. Imagine how tainted our game and player A's first all-ireland would be if the ref bought into this sham and sent player B off.   :o

:D :D

Reported.

full back

[quote author=timmykelleher link=topic=13516.msg631174#msg631174
[/quote]

That is the problem, the ref wont do his job!!!!

SidelineKick

Reported.