Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2009, 11:31:54 PM
Wise up Muppet. He hit him alright. Even if he didn't, it's an attempted strike but let's face it, he did hit him.

Can't see what McGuigan did from that footage. If it was an elbow, he deserves a ban.

OK muppet, you can hit me an elbow to the ribs but I get a free dig at your head. How does that grab you?

Are you serious? You see nothing whatsoever?

Tell you what I'll pass on the sly dig, you can slap me on the top of the head I promise my entire province won't go crying all over the net about some percieved injustice. Good night.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 26, 2009, 11:36:47 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2009, 11:06:44 PMYes they are.

But I don't recall anyone being sent off for a girly slap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRy7Fr5eE6o

Thanks for that, I had genuinely forgotten. I also remember the campaign on this board against the guy who fell down (I accept Orangeman's point about McGuigan's eye injury).
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gerry on August 26, 2009, 11:18:24 PM
6.58 minutes into clip

Yep. Definite red card alright. OK he didn't connect with full force but he wasn't trying to tickle him. Degrees of contact isn't grounds for getting off throwing a dig to the head.

cadhlancian

lads and lassies lets not  bate about the bush here. Miskella was holding onto McGuigans jersey, McGuigan threw his elbow back into him to try and break free, at which point Mr Miskella took a dig at McGuigans head ( the only reason it landed on the back of his head, was because he saw it coming at the last moment, and tried to shift his noggin!). There is no ifs,maybes , NOTHING. This should have been a RED CARD 100%, and if missed by the ref ( who knows what that gaunch was trying to do), then the CCC should punish appropriately. I think its absolutely unbelievable that an incompetent fool like John Bannon had the final say on this. As some people have been suggesting, this is gonna come back and bite the GAA in the hole!

Mike Sheehy

McGuigan should have been sent off for simulation. Tyrone players have a long history for diving and trying to get players sent off. Canavan tried it with Mike McCarthy, Jordan did it to  Marsden and McGuigan and Mulligan tried it on Sunday.

full back

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 27, 2009, 04:24:40 AM
McGuigan should have been sent off for simulation. Tyrone players have a long history for diving and trying to get players sent off. Canavan tried it with Mike McCarthy, Jordan did it to  Marsden and McGuigan and Mulligan tried it on Sunday.

Normally I would ignore you and say you are a WUM, but saying as you are from the same county as Aidan O'Mahony you would have carte-blanche on diving & trying to get players sent off

Hardy

I'd usually be slow to support an eejit like Bannon who has ruined more than one game I've seen. But leave aside the letter of the law, which is an ass anyway but becomes a cross between a mule and a jennet when passed through the crazy filtering system that is a referee's brain.

I think Bannon did the right thing in natural justice. He has the power under the law to make the call after the event, so why not use it. He could apply the letter of the law and say "I was wrong, it was strike - red card, no AIF for Miskella". And that would have been correct but morally wrong. Because the real villain of the piece would have got away with it. If McGuigan hadn't started it with a dig in the goolies (yes - we all have our own interpretations of what we saw and that's mine) and then dropped like a shot snipe for a glancing slap (what I saw) to the back of the head (what I saw) and then proceeded to lie there until his man got carded, the issue wouldn't have arisen. That was the series of reprehensible acts in that incident, not the reaction of Miskella in anger.

So fair play to Bannon. The bit he got wrong was not admitting he missed McGuigan's dig and extended simulation and citing him for both.

SidelineKick

The GAA, well football anyway, is heading the way of soccer. McGuigan lay on the ground as if he'd been shot, I'm sure most people here would have got the odd slap / box to the back of the head, but it was hardly enough to knock him down and keep him down! I for one feel embarrassed if I have to lie down for any sorta injury. A lot of players these days seem to grab any opportunity with both hands.

Steven O'Neill lay as if he was dead in the first half of the game, until the phusio came on and miraculously brought him back round.  Is it an attention seeking thing?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 27, 2009, 04:24:40 AM

'Simulation'?
TYrone have a long history of what? We do not have the monopoly on this sort of carry on - and its easy to quote instances of recent games, but it wouldnt be too difficult to delve into the past of the mighty kingdom to see that you lot are fairly god at it to, as are Dublin and Cork, and mayo, and etc...because its a Player thing not a county thing...and a referee thing...
The referee was shite in the T vC game - and I hope that no Cork player misses the Final becasue of him
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 27, 2009, 09:06:46 AM
The GAA, well football anyway, is heading the way of soccer. McGuigan lay on the ground as if he'd been shot, I'm sure most people here would have got the odd slap / box to the back of the head, but it was hardly enough to knock him down and keep him down! I for one feel embarrassed if I have to lie down for any sorta injury. A lot of players these days seem to grab any opportunity with both hands.

What are the options?

Get hit & stand there and take it and the referee will take no action against the offender
Get hit & go down & you are complaining
Get hit & hit back and you will be lined

What do you think he should have done?

oakleafgael

Quote from: Hardy on August 27, 2009, 08:38:44 AM
I'd usually be slow to support an eejit like Bannon who has ruined more than one game I've seen. But leave aside the letter of the law, which is an ass anyway but becomes a cross between a mule and a jennet when passed through the crazy filtering system that is a referee's brain.

I think Bannon did the right thing in natural justice. He has the power under the law to make the call after the event, so why not use it. He could apply the letter of the law and say "I was wrong, it was strike - red card, no AIF for Miskella". And that would have been correct but morally wrong. Because the real villain of the piece would have got away with it. If McGuigan hadn't started it with a dig in the goolies (yes - we all have our own interpretations of what we saw and that's mine) and then dropped like a shot snipe for a glancing slap (what I saw) to the back of the head (what I saw) and then proceeded to lie there until his man got carded, the issue wouldn't have arisen. That was the series of reprehensible acts in that incident, not the reaction of Miskella in anger.

So fair play to Bannon. The bit he got wrong was not admitting he missed McGuigan's dig and extended simulation and citing him for both.

Hardy,

I know youse Meathmen have big balls but he tickled Miskella's ribs as he was getting his shirt pulled. This happens in nearly every minute of every game, well any I ever played in. If McGuigan had lay down until his man had been carded then he would likely picked up pnemonia as Bannon spent a good couple of minutes prancing from one end of the field to the other to consult his linesmen.

Bannon not asking for the incident to be reviewed is one of the only things he has got right with the game and natural justice has been done. Although I would think any suspension would have been overturned on some technicality.

timmykelleher

"What do you think he should have done?"

Wasn't it in the Charlie Redmond Laochra Gael program that Charlie highlighted the actions of the Cork corner back (Mark Farr??)

There was a bit of a scuffle between the 2 and Charlie threw a swipe.

In came the ref with the notebook drawn only for the corner back to get up and tell the ref there was nothing in it.

It's not soccer for feck sake. You try to play the game honourably.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on August 27, 2009, 09:19:51 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 27, 2009, 09:06:46 AM

What are the options?

Get hit & stand there and take it and the referee will take no action against the offender
Get hit & go down & you are complaining
Get hit & hit back and you will be lined

What do you think he should have done?

Be a f**king man, has nobody any pride left?

Reported.

full back

Lads I appreciate everyone is trying to be admirable & all that but this is the real world FFS ::)

People are playing the game to win & are willing to bend/break the rules to gain any advantage

If Mc Guigan got hit he has every right to go down. How do you know how hard the strike was?
While bleating that it is a mans game ETC ETC ETC what do you make of Canty putting the knees into a player? Does that make him more of a man or does that make him a player who is willing to do anything to get that AI that he so craves?

SidelineKick

Sticking the knees in someone is not admirable.  I also think that Miskella was wrong to strike, especially from behind, don't have time for that sorta thing.  I'm not going on about it being a man's game or who's the toughest, but jesus at every opportunity men are lying down waiting on physios to come on and rub them for 10 seconds, they get up, do a fake hobble for a few seconds then hey presto they're grand again.

Steven O'Neill lay face down for the guts of 20 seconds in the first half of the game. I actually commented that he must have been knocked out as he wasn't moving a muscle, then lo and behold on comes the physio, waves their magic wand and don't worry folks, he's ok!!

Sickens my pish.

And don't worry its not just tyrone, but its veering towards soccer if you ask me.

Reported.