Belfast-Dublin rail line damaged

Started by viiv, August 22, 2009, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

I'm not advocating pulling the plug on the WRC. I'm merely pointing out that money can be made available for projects when there is the political will behind it. Dempsey and IÉ should be ensuring that the viaduct is repaired ASAP and to the highest safety standards. You know as well as I do that that this will not happen anytime soon though.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

ASAP. If anyone ever said they needed something "ASAP" it went to the bottom of my in tray. Specify a deadline then I'll discuss practicalities, otherwise don't be bothering me.

Donnellys Hollow

When will you have the bridge done so Déiseach??  ;D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

orangeman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 03:31:56 PM
One of the sections of the upper deck of the Oakland Bay bridge in San Francisco collapsed onto the lower deck on 17 October 1989 after an earthquake. It was repaired and reopened by 18 November!!

This is Ireland though. Once the H&Ss, the NIMBYs and the planners get involved it'll take ages before any work even starts.

And that was 20 years ago. If it happened now, they'd have it finished in a week.

tyssam5

Quote from: Gnevin on August 25, 2009, 05:26:25 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 03:31:56 PM
One of the sections of the upper deck of the Oakland Bay bridge in San Francisco collapsed onto the lower deck on 17 October 1989 after an earthquake. It was repaired and reopened by 18 November!!

This is Ireland though. Once the H&Ss, the NIMBYs and the planners get involved it'll take ages before any work even starts.

Time
,Money and Resources .Something the Yanks have a lot more of than us.

Money and Resources maybe, but I'm fairly sure they only have 24 hours in each day same as us!

Gnevin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 07:08:54 PM
I'm not advocating pulling the plug on the WRC. I'm merely pointing out that money can be made available for projects when there is the political will behind it. Dempsey and IÉ should be ensuring that the viaduct is repaired ASAP and to the highest safety standards. You know as well as I do that that this will not happen anytime soon though.

Youi mean after 30 years of campaigning?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

J70

It was in one of the papers today that this bridge passed an inspection a couple of days before the collapse! That engineer will be having some sleepless nights this week!

Hound

Quote from: J70 on August 26, 2009, 02:18:19 AM
It was in one of the papers today that this bridge passed an inspection a couple of days before the collapse! That engineer will be having some sleepless nights this week!
Irish Rail mentioned this alright. It seemed like too much of a coincidence that it was examined so soon before, and lo and behold what Irish Rail didnt mention was the some Sea Scout Leader in Malahide had warned them on Monday that the bridge was dangerous due to erosion damage - which prompted the inspection. Of course the "engineer" knew more!

Gnevin

Quoteof answering health and safety questions, quality control procedures, method statements and other such trivial red tape considerations from public sector clients. One such client is Irish Rail.
:o

Is their any change they could build 2 bridges one for us who may have a concern or two about quality control  and an other made of duct tape so they can take their life's in the their hand every time the cross it?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

[/b]

You bet he will. He must never have got out of his car.

ludermor

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2009, 07:22:31 AM
Irish Rail mentioned this alright. It seemed like too much of a coincidence that it was examined so soon before, and lo and behold what Irish Rail didnt mention was the some Sea Scout Leader in Malahide had warned them on Monday that the bridge was dangerous due to erosion damage - which prompted the inspection. Of course the "engineer" knew more!
Hadnt heard about that!!

The Subbie

Quote from: the contractor on August 26, 2009, 09:14:39 AM
http://constructionconciliation.blogspot.com/

Well posted, the main thrust of the blog is that Irish rail, who don't have the in house capability to carry out these works will make contractors jump through hoops just to get a chance to tender, then when the tender is accepted the hoop jumping starts all over again,quality plans, HSplan,logistics plan ,temp works plan, method statements, risk assessments etc etc, no one from irish rail will be available after 4pm on a friday till 10:30 on a Monday morning, 12:30pm - 2:30pm mid week and not a hope after 4:30pm mid week.

I actually worked for a contractor on the reconstruction of East wall rail bridge over the Tolka back in 2002 and i can safely say that IR make EVERY county council look mega proactive and that is saying something

Declan

I'm sure everyone is glad to hear it's all under control!!!

Wednesday August 26 2009

A special group has been set up to help minimise the disruption caused by the collapse of the rail viaduct in the Malahide area of north Dublin last week.

The group includes officials from Fingal County Council, Dublin City Council, Iarnrod Eireann, Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus, the National Roads Authority and the Gardai.

The viaduct collapse has affected rail commuters heading into north Dublin, as well as passengers on the main line to Belfast.

Bus transfers have already been put in place on the line and Dublin Bus has put on extra services in north Dublin to cope with increased demand for its services.

The rail line is expected to take at least three months to repair.

Hound

Quote from: ludermor on August 26, 2009, 01:33:59 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2009, 07:22:31 AM
Hadnt heard about that!!
From Newstalk's website:

"A group of sea scouts in Dublin says they warned Irish Rail about damage to their viaduct at the Broadmeadow Estuary, days before it collapsed last Friday.

"A leader of the group based in Malahide contacted the company the previous Monday to alert them to possible erosion damage prompting an inspection by Irish Rail the next day."

And now this afternoon, Irish rail have said this (from rte.ie):

"Iarnród Éireann confirmed that concern was expressed by a member of the public on Monday 17 August about erosion on the viaduct.

"Mr Kenny said an engineer carried out an inspection the following day on the basis of that concern, and found the markings were cosmetic rather than structural."