Belfast-Dublin rail line damaged

Started by viiv, August 22, 2009, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

This will also cause problems for those who go shopping to Dublin over the Christmas holiday period and for the shops waiting on their money. Thank God there were no deaths, fair play to the driver.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

thewobbler

My concept of structural engineering is on a par with my knowledge of hurling.

But seeing as they can build a bridge between Sweden and Denmark these days, then surely dropping a wedge of concrete a few metres  into the Irish Sea can't require a huge amount of planning, or a huge amount of execution time?

orangeman

Quote from: thewobbler on August 25, 2009, 01:24:54 PM
My concept of structural engineering is on a par with my knowledge of hurling.

But seeing as they can build a bridge between Sweden and Denmark these days, then surely dropping a wedge of concrete a few metres  into the Irish Sea can't require a huge amount of planning, or a huge amount of execution time?

I'd have been of the same impression. Drive sheet piles into the sea/river bed and do a section at a time. I could be entirely wrong about the time needed all the same.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

was thinking why don't they just build a temp line around the estuary until the bridge is fixed - can't take that long to clear ground and lay temp rails?
Tbc....

ludermor

Yer being a wee bit simplistic there lads!!
Its not that easy to build in the middle of the bay woring with/against the tides, the actual gear for doing the work is more than likely not in this country, they would have to design a pontoon to carry the piling rigs/cranes etc. The design alone could take weeks. I dont know when they would have done ground investigation of the area but again if these have to be done then this takes time.
And i think ye are underestimating big time the planning restrictions there would be to do anything out of the ordinary, the whole estuary would be designated a nature preserve im sure so there wouldn't be a hope of going off the existing track without a huge public outcry

orangeman

Quote from: ludermor on August 25, 2009, 03:06:38 PM
Yer being a wee bit simplistic there lads!!
Its not that easy to build in the middle of the bay woring with/against the tides, the actual gear for doing the work is more than likely not in this country, they would have to design a pontoon to carry the piling rigs/cranes etc. The design alone could take weeks. I dont know when they would have done ground investigation of the area but again if these have to be done then this takes time.
And i think ye are underestimating big time the planning restrictions there would be to do anything out of the ordinary, the whole estuary would be designated a nature preserve im sure so there wouldn't be a hope of going off the existing track without a huge public outcry

To hell with the public outcry. They need a rail line and soon.

I know what you're saying about the design and construction issues but I thought that they'd be working night and day to get this done.

Donnellys Hollow

I think I heard that the estuary is some sort of protected environment. If this is the case it could be much longer than the 3-6 months figures being talked about. The planning process in Ireland for this sort of essential infrastructure is farcical. The presence of some rare snail held up the construction of the M7 bypass of Kildare town and Monasterevin for nearly a decade. This was at a time when they were two of the worst bottlenecks in Ireland on the main artery out of Dublin to Cork and Limerick.

There has been talk of the construction of a temporary bailey bridge for Malahide but knowing the way things work in Ireland, such a structure would end up a permanent fixture. It is ironic that fifty years ago there would be an alternative rail route to the north via the old Navan line. IÉ are very fortunate that something like this didn't happen on the Thomastown or Monasterevin viaducts as there could have been huge fatalities. Given that it is only six years since the Cahir viaduct failed, serious questions have to be asked about the safety and the maintenance of IÉ's infrastructure. Heads should roll for this but I wouldn't hold my breath.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Shamrock Shore

How long did it take the Brits and Americans to build bridges across the Rhine in 1944?

A team of 100 lads, with King Canute on board as a tide adviser, could have it done in a long weekend FFS.

Donnellys Hollow

One of the sections of the upper deck of the Oakland Bay bridge in San Francisco collapsed onto the lower deck on 17 October 1989 after an earthquake. It was repaired and reopened by 18 November!!

This is Ireland though. Once the H&Ss, the NIMBYs and the planners get involved it'll take ages before any work even starts.

Billys Boots

Replacing an existing structure shouldn't require planning, irrespective of its surroundings.  The delays will probably be confined to tender rules.  I still think they should go the whole hog and get the double-track in now, it would require planning, but could probably qualify as strategic infrastructure. 

QuoteHeads should roll for this but I wouldn't hold my breath.

All being right, the Minister for Transport should be going to jail, and sharing his cell with the CEO of Iarnród Éireann.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gnevin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 03:31:56 PM
One of the sections of the upper deck of the Oakland Bay bridge in San Francisco collapsed onto the lower deck on 17 October 1989 after an earthquake. It was repaired and reopened by 18 November!!

This is Ireland though. Once the H&Ss, the NIMBYs and the planners get involved it'll take ages before any work even starts.

Time ,Money and Resources .Something the Yanks have a lot more of than us.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

Maybe so Gnevin, but millions are being ploughed into the Western Rail Corridor which will barely be used so it can't be said that capital investment isn't available to Iarnród Éireann. With so many construction workers currently signing on it is not as if the manpower isn't in the country either.

If the government gave IÉ a kick up the arse this thing could be properly repaired within weeks. However, this will never happen here and when it is eventually rebuilt I'd say it will only be a half-assed Paddy-Irishman job.

Gnevin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 06:31:21 PM
Maybe so Gnevin, but millions are being ploughed into the Western Rail Corridor which will barely be used so it can't be said that capital investment isn't available to Iarnród Éireann. With so many construction workers currently signing on it is not as if the manpower isn't in the country either.

If the government gave IÉ a kick up the arse this thing could be properly repaired within weeks. However, this will never happen here and when it is eventually rebuilt I'd say it will only be a half-assed Paddy-Irishman job.

I haven't ever one  from ÍE claim its a capital issue so what is the reliance of the WRC I don't know.

The US has the army corps of engineers we don't and remeber   while you point to San Fran I can point too New Orleans 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

You stated that money could an issue. I pointed out that millions are being ploughed into a white elephant in the west that will barely be used - parish pump politics at its best. The line through Malahide is one of the most strategically important on this island and IÉ should be working night and day to restore a full service but nothing will be done for months. There will be traffic chaos when the schools go back next week.

Gnevin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 25, 2009, 06:46:56 PM
You stated that money could an issue. I pointed out that millions are being ploughed into a white elephant in the west that will barely be used - parish pump politics at its best. The line through Malahide is one of the most strategically important on this island and IÉ should be working night and day to restore a full service but nothing will be done for months. There will be traffic chaos when the schools go back next week.

I said the US has near unlimited money for these things . We don't and pulling the plug of the WRC won't get this built any faster you may as well claim we pull the plug on some road project on Kerry.