14 yr old swept away trying to rescue dog

Started by Minder, August 21, 2009, 11:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

The search for a missing 14-year-old boy in a river in County Antrim has resumed.
It is understood James Elliott jumped into the River Bush at Stranocum to rescue a dog and was swept away.
His father, another 14-year-old boy and the dog were rescued from the river on Thursday.
The alarm was raised at 1500 BST on Thursday. A number of agencies carried out a search of the area until the light failed on Thursday night.
James, is a pupil at Dalriada Grammar School in Ballymoney, and a talented footballer with Linfield FC's youth section.
His PE teacher, John Devlin, has been watching the rescue operation and said they were hoping he was still alive.
"This is going to be devastating when we all come back together into school next week," he said.
"But we still stand here, hope and cling to the thought that he is hanging on out there.
"He is a very gritty individual and we can only just hope and pray at this point."
It is understood James represented Northern Ireland at a youth football tournament last year.
The principal at Dalriada Grammar School, Tom Skelton, said the teenager, who is to enter Year 11, "wanted to be nothing but a professional football player".
"He was a very bright, bubbly boy, always full of beans," he said.
"I was just talking to the caretaker this morning who said he was constantly having to retrieve the ball from the roof of the school for him - he loved playing football, he was well-liked by his classmates and held in high regard by the staff.
"We're absolutely devastated by the news."
DUP assembly member Mervyn Storey said the situation looked very bleak.
"It is very difficult when you have situation when you are hoping that it's a rescue, but looks more and
more like a recovery," he said.
Ballymoney mayor Frank Campbell, who was at the scene, said the river was "running really fast" because of the amount of rain that had fallen in the last few days,
Police said a number of agencies have been involved in the search, including HM Coastguard, the RAF, Bann River Rescue, the Royal Navy and the Fire Service.
Police search teams and the police helicopter are also returning to the scene.
Related to this story:
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Tony Baloney

I'm sure his parents would be touched by the flood of condolences on this thread...

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2009, 08:37:54 PM
I'm sure his parents would be touched by the flood of condolences on this thread...

Controversial

Tony Baloney

I'll start things off.

Very sad news for all concerned. I'm glad the parents have now got a body to bury. RIP.

Minder

Echoes of the parents of a new born that jumped in to save their dog last year in England and orphaned the baby.

Let the dog drown would be the moral of the story.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2009, 08:48:33 PM
Echoes of the parents of a new born that jumped in to save their dog last year in England and orphaned the baby.

14 year olds dont think like that though, his actions probably speaks volumes about his good nature, maybe a slight comfort to his parents.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

My thoughts are with the boys parents. It is a nightmare for any parent to have to bury their child. A terrible tragedy.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2009, 08:48:33 PM

Dogs can swim so if it fell in the water I'm afraid it's every dog for itself. I'd rather the mutt drown than me. It's a peculiar fascination people have with dogs.

Norf Tyrone

It was sad seeing the wee fella's dad on the rive bank in today's paper. Really sad stuff. RIP.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

rootthemout

sen that myself norf,im sure da went in to try and save young lad and had to watch as he disappeared,my the young lad rip and may his family find the strength to get over it

croker

Sincere sympathy to his family and friends. Sad to see a young innocent life with talents in soccer taken away. May he Rest in Peace

Tyrones own

Very very sad indeed for the family..may he rest in peace.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Minder

I'm surprised this topic didn't provoke more interest the other day when I first posted it. Perhaps it made some uncomfortable............

Schkite

Terrible tragedy, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Reminds me of a 16 yr old lad who drowned not far from me about 6 months ago, heartbreaking stuff, any parents nightmare.