Déise Tribute

Started by FirstForWaterford, August 20, 2009, 08:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirstForWaterford

Hi...

this is a tribute to Waterford in the semi-final against KK this yr.
It features amateur footage from the Cusack stand while the supporters were leaving and "May we never have to say goodbye" was playin. And there is some match footage thrown in as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbO3VfbASU

seafoid

Very evocative. The hurlers of Waterford did so much over the last few years. It's a real pity they didn't win the big prize but I think they gained everybody's respect. 

I think it's going to be the second most emotional future all-Ireland win. Mayo will be the first.   

Farrandeelin

Waterford will probably win the AI before Mayo do though...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FirstForWaterford

I heard this theory and I quite like it...

Sum1 posted on the upthedeise forum that his friend has been saying for a few years that Waterford are due to win the Liam in 2010... his logic being:-

...and then a long wait before we get to the 10!  :D

Of course, following on the sequence, that means we're due to win in
...and so on! ;D

Sounds good to me!  :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Welcome FirstForWaterford, and good post. You could also post it on the Hurling section perhaps, more hurling folk would see it: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?board=4.0
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

Welcome, FirstForWaterford. I'd say your friend needs to to a smidgin more study on mathematical progressions.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 20, 2009, 10:14:43 PM

I second that. Plan to be there for both though!!

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2009, 09:20:22 PM
Very evocative. The hurlers of Waterford did so much over the last few years. It's a real pity they didn't win the big prize but I think they gained everybody's respect. 

I think it's going to be the second most emotional future all-Ireland win. Mayo will be the first.

In the spirit of revisionism Seaf, what have they actually done? (When compared to our own county?) Why should they have more respect tham Galway? (Or Mayo footballers for e.g.) League record over the past 10 years is rather similar and Galway's c'ship record is slightly superior - we reached 2 finals and weren't beaten heavily in either. Yes, they won a few Munster finals, but provincial titles count for little in my mind. Sure, they played a lot of exciting matches, but they weren't the only ones. Believe me, this isn't an anti-Waterford sour grapes rant, I was at last year's AI final and was shouting like mad for them, but in my book moral victors = gallant losers = losers.

I repeat, I've nothing whatsoever against Waterford but getting a little tired of the whole sympathy, 'everyone's second favourite team' lark. Plenty of other teams entitled to sympathy also (Dub footballers / hurlers?)

Bud Wiser

And don't forget the outpouring of grief for the poor Cork hurlers  :D

Welcome FirstforWaterford.  On the issue of your post, if you look back to the opening scenes, the swapping of jerseys and the handshakes between the opposing warriors -  this could be the scene in any All-Ireland Final and while tis was not a final I think it is time that the loosing team were called up for runners-up medals instead of being left lying in the middle of the field like lost souls after giving it their all in training and in the championship for the year.  Some might argue that players don't want loosers medals but it is done in FA Cup etc and there would be great respect for any team that came within a few points of the McCarthy Cup in a final and some token to the loosers should be given. - I think?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Minder

Correct, Waterford footballers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Minder on August 21, 2009, 01:29:57 PM

Correct, Waterford footballers.

And it will probably be against Mayo as well!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

topgun

anybody no wat the music/song is that is playing throughout the clip?
a prophet is not recognised by his own

mountainboii

Quote from: topgun on August 21, 2009, 02:47:31 PM
anybody no wat the music/song is that is playing throughout the clip?

Quote from: FirstForWaterford on August 20, 2009, 08:55:59 PM
Hi...

this is a tribute to Waterford in the semi-final against KK this yr.
It features amateur footage from the Cusack stand while the supporters were leaving and "May we never have to say goodbye" was playin. And there is some match footage thrown in as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbO3VfbASU

magickingdom

love the tune 'may we never have to say goodbye' the gaa should buy the rights to it they use it so often

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on August 21, 2009, 12:56:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2009, 09:20:22 PM

In the spirit of revisionism Seaf, what have they actually done? (When compared to our own county?) Why should they have more respect tham Galway? (Or Mayo footballers for e.g.) League record over the past 10 years is rather similar and Galway's c'ship record is slightly superior - we reached 2 finals and weren't beaten heavily in either. Yes, they won a few Munster finals, but provincial titles count for little in my mind. Sure, they played a lot of exciting matches, but they weren't the only ones. Believe me, this isn't an anti-Waterford sour grapes rant, I was at last year's AI final and was shouting like mad for them, but in my book moral victors = gallant losers = losers.

I repeat, I've nothing whatsoever against Waterford but getting a little tired of the whole sympathy, 'everyone's second favourite team' lark. Plenty of other teams entitled to sympathy also (Dub footballers / hurlers?)

Dub hurlers maybe but how many people in Dublin care about hurling? I'm not pushed about the footballers. I suppose it's a personal thing. Galway hurling's long 22 years of failure is due to county board ineptitude imo. They could have gone into Leinster a long time ago and would have won a few all-Irelands if the honchos cared more about the team than their own egos.

Laois, Westmeath , wicklow, Kildare etc leave me cold. I would like to see Fermanagh winning something. Waterford have a bit of romance. I don't know what it is.

I was watching the Ashes on sunday and the England fans have a dose of Mayo about them. Even at 546 runs up there were loads of people who thought they would throw it away with Australia in the Meath role.   Mayo is a mental thing more than anything else.  Fascinating to watch. So much passion but so little confidence in the last 5 minutes.