Paddy Heaney on ABT Derry men

Started by In the Onion Bag, August 20, 2009, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Anybody see Paddy's bit in the Irish News today about a letter he received from three founding members of Bellaghy GAC.  Is he just stirring things or does he have a point?

Can anyone post the article.

mick999

Look out Cork, Red Hands will bring an end to your tall tale Off The Fence
By Paddy Heaney
20/08/09

The big fella: There's no doubting that the 6'7" Michael Cussen is a very big man, but one reader believes Tyrone have what it takes to slay him and his fellow Cork giants Have your say on the sporting issues of the ?day

24-hour comment line: 028 9033 7457; text: 07642 802592 email: offthefence@irishnews.com

Traditionally a domain for ridicule, this week's column is a smorgasbord of mystery, praise and optimism. But don't worry. There's also the standard dosage of ranting and raving.

'Maurice O' begins the proceedings by introducing an air of intrigue to Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final. While the presence of Michael Cussen (6'7"), Pierce O'Neill (6'6"), Alan O'Connor (6'5"), and Nicholas Murphy (6'5") means that Conor Counihan has a squad of skyscrapers, 'Maurice O' reckons that Mickey Harte has some giant-killing personnel on his bench.

"It will be unknown men who will deliver for Tyrone next Sunday," writes 'Mystic Maurice'. He continues: "The big men who come off bench are not the best footballers in Tyrone but they will do the job of stopping Cork's big players."

Maurice, I don't know how to break this to you gently, but Audy Hamilton retired some years ago. With the exception of Colm Cavanagh (6'3"), Tyrone don't have any real tall men among their substitutes. Maybe you know something we don't.

- If our opening message was something of a departure for Off the Fence, then our next email is an equally rare specimen.

After another mediocre Championship, many Down supporters are in a morbid and sorry mood. But not 'Patrick.' When considering the quality of volunteer involved in Down GAA, he reckons it will not be long before the Mournes are rejoicing once again.

"I am reflecting on Ross Carr and the end of his management career. I am also thinking about Pete McGrath and the fact that he's interested in becoming the manager again.

"It strikes me that these are two men who don't rest on their laurels. They could have bathed in the glory of past achievements, but they want to do more and this is due to their love and dedication to the county. That is a part of Down's tradition.

"I think this is a feature of Down football and we are lucky to have people like Ross Carr and Pete McGrath.

"The victory for our minors against Dublin provides reason for further optimism. Down football can look forward to the future."

A good point about two good men.

- Our next caller was in a less sanguine mood. Sitting in front of the box during last Sunday's All-Ireland hurling semi-final, he lifted the phone to vent his spleen about the noble and ancient game.

'Football fan' said: "It's half-time in the Tipperary/Limerick match. This is an absolute joke. Hurling folk used to say that they'd prefer to watch a poor game of hurling rather than a good game of football.

"But I would rather watch a poor game of football. My weans are watching this and they're bored. There's no marking. Call that an All-Ireland semi-final?"

One lop-sided game doesn't justify damning the entire sport of hurling. Did you miss Kerry's 17-point destruction of Dublin, and Cork's 14-point annihilation of Donegal in the football quarter-finals?

- The next offering came via a good, old-fashioned letter that was signed (in the same hand-writing) by three of the founding fathers of Bellaghy football. All three took grave exception to my suggestion in last week's column that many Derry's gaels don't support Tyrone.

To be precise, I stated: "In most parts of County Derry, the ABT (Anybody But Tyrone) contingent has been the ruling body of opinion for many years."

But the Bellaghy trio don't concur with this assertion. Their letter stated: "Paddy Heaney did many Derry supporters a great injustice by stating that many of them are so jealous of Tyrone success they wish to see them beaten.

"This is such a sweeping generalisation that it beggars belief. Petty jealousy can often be rife at club level among the smaller fry who look forward to seeing the more successful ones take a tumble.

"But to state that it prevails at inter-county level in Derry when their neighbours Tyrone are concerned is wide of the mark.

"In the gaelic heartlands of Bellaghy, Newbridge and Ballinderry when there are boxes of medals never opened there is nothing but admiration and support for Tyrone's swashbuckling style and sheer class.

"It's hard to know where Paddy Heaney got his information from but, apart from the odd the crank, our canvass shows that the O'Neill county commands the support of all true gaels in the Oak.

"As Tyrone prepare to travel to the capital once more, thousands of voices will be ringing out in the Derry air 'Come On Tyrone, you are not on your own.'

I would refer you to my initial statement. It said "in most parts of County Derry." I would concede that this doesn't cover the Castledawson Golf Club, where I suspect the bulk of your research was conducted.

Broaden your horizons gentlemen. Take a trip over the Glenshane Pass into the heartland of Derry supporters. Or even venture a few miles down the road to Lavey, Maghera and Magherafelt.

You are seriously deluding yourselves by thinking that antipathy towards the Red Hands in Derry is restricted to the "odd crank".

A charitable soul by nature, I'm going to open your eyes to the real world, and I would ask any "true gael in the Oak" who will be actively supporting Cork on Sunday to contact us immediately. Ideally, email the above address and briefly outline why you would like to see Tyrone lose this year's All-Ireland Championship. But go gently, as the minds of the Bellaghy Three are about to be blown.

- Finally, no All-Ireland semi-final week would be complete without a dig about the price of tickets.

'Sean from Cookstown' will do the needful this week.

"I would like to vent my annoyance at the semi-final ticket prices, £45 is too expensive. Take the wife, the kids, fuel and food into consideration and it's an expensive day out." (Be a real man and leave the wife and kids at home – JOKE, JOKE, JOKE).

"Commonsense would tell you and me that if the GAA wants to fill Croker for these games a cheaper pricing system should apply.

"The country is bang in the middle of recession and with thousands out of work the GAA should provide affordable packages and fill Croke Park."

In the Onion Bag

Thanks Mick, this is the bit where I think he is stirring:

Quote from: mick999 on August 20, 2009, 01:59:23 PM
Off The Fence  By Paddy Heaney  20/08/09

The next offering came via a good, old-fashioned letter that was signed (in the same hand-writing) by three of the founding fathers of Bellaghy football. All three took grave exception to my suggestion in last week's column that many Derry's gaels don't support Tyrone.
To be precise, I stated: "In most parts of County Derry, the ABT (Anybody But Tyrone) contingent has been the ruling body of opinion for many years."
But the Bellaghy trio don't concur with this assertion. Their letter stated: "Paddy Heaney did many Derry supporters a great injustice by stating that many of them are so jealous of Tyrone success they wish to see them beaten.
"This is such a sweeping generalisation that it beggars belief. Petty jealousy can often be rife at club level among the smaller fry who look forward to seeing the more successful ones take a tumble.  "But to state that it prevails at inter-county level in Derry when their neighbours Tyrone are concerned is wide of the mark.
"In the gaelic heartlands of Bellaghy, Newbridge and Ballinderry when there are boxes of medals never opened there is nothing but admiration and support for Tyrone's swashbuckling style and sheer class.
"It's hard to know where Paddy Heaney got his information from but, apart from the odd the crank, our canvass shows that the O'Neill county commands the support of all true gaels in the Oak.
"As Tyrone prepare to travel to the capital once more, thousands of voices will be ringing out in the Derry air 'Come On Tyrone, you are not on your own.'

[Paddy's reply]
I would refer you to my initial statement. It said "in most parts of County Derry." I would concede that this doesn't cover the Castledawson Golf Club, where I suspect the bulk of your research was conducted.
Broaden your horizons gentlemen. Take a trip over the Glenshane Pass into the heartland of Derry supporters. Or even venture a few miles down the road to Lavey, Maghera and Magherafelt.  You are seriously deluding yourselves by thinking that antipathy towards the Red Hands in Derry is restricted to the "odd crank".

A charitable soul by nature, I'm going to open your eyes to the real world, and I would ask any "true gael in the Oak" who will be actively supporting Cork on Sunday to contact us immediately. Ideally, email the above address and briefly outline why you would like to see Tyrone lose this year's All-Ireland Championship. But go gently, as the minds of the Bellaghy Three are about to be blown.

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

irunthev

Quote from: mick999 on August 20, 2009, 01:59:23 PM
Look out Cork, Red Hands will bring an end to your tall tale Off The Fence
By Paddy Heaney
20/08/09

The big fella: There's no doubting that the 6'7" Michael Cussen is a very big man, but one reader believes Tyrone have what it takes to slay him and his fellow Cork giants Have your say on the sporting issues of the ?day

24-hour comment line: 028 9033 7457; text: 07642 802592 email: offthefence@irishnews.com

Traditionally a domain for ridicule, this week's column is a smorgasbord of mystery, praise and optimism. But don't worry. There's also the standard dosage of ranting and raving.

'Maurice O' begins the proceedings by introducing an air of intrigue to Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final. While the presence of Michael Cussen (6'7"), Pierce O'Neill (6'6"), Alan O'Connor (6'5"), and Nicholas Murphy (6'5") means that Conor Counihan has a squad of skyscrapers, 'Maurice O' reckons that Mickey Harte has some giant-killing personnel on his bench.

"It will be unknown men who will deliver for Tyrone next Sunday," writes 'Mystic Maurice'. He continues: "The big men who come off bench are not the best footballers in Tyrone but they will do the job of stopping Cork's big players."

Maurice, I don't know how to break this to you gently, but Audy Hamilton retired some years ago. With the exception of Colm Cavanagh (6'3"), Tyrone don't have any real tall men among their substitutes. Maybe you know something we don't.

- If our opening message was something of a departure for Off the Fence, then our next email is an equally rare specimen.

After another mediocre Championship, many Down supporters are in a morbid and sorry mood. But not 'Patrick.' When considering the quality of volunteer involved in Down GAA, he reckons it will not be long before the Mournes are rejoicing once again.

"I am reflecting on Ross Carr and the end of his management career. I am also thinking about Pete McGrath and the fact that he's interested in becoming the manager again.

"It strikes me that these are two men who don't rest on their laurels. They could have bathed in the glory of past achievements, but they want to do more and this is due to their love and dedication to the county. That is a part of Down's tradition.

"I think this is a feature of Down football and we are lucky to have people like Ross Carr and Pete McGrath.

"The victory for our minors against Dublin provides reason for further optimism. Down football can look forward to the future."

A good point about two good men.

- Our next caller was in a less sanguine mood. Sitting in front of the box during last Sunday's All-Ireland hurling semi-final, he lifted the phone to vent his spleen about the noble and ancient game.

'Football fan' said: "It's half-time in the Tipperary/Limerick match. This is an absolute joke. Hurling folk used to say that they'd prefer to watch a poor game of hurling rather than a good game of football.

"But I would rather watch a poor game of football. My weans are watching this and they're bored. There's no marking. Call that an All-Ireland semi-final?"

One lop-sided game doesn't justify damning the entire sport of hurling. Did you miss Kerry's 17-point destruction of Dublin, and Cork's 14-point annihilation of Donegal in the football quarter-finals?

- The next offering came via a good, old-fashioned letter that was signed (in the same hand-writing) by three of the founding fathers of Bellaghy football. All three took grave exception to my suggestion in last week's column that many Derry's gaels don't support Tyrone.

"This is such a sweeping generalisation that it beggars belief. Petty jealousy can often be rife at club level among the smaller fry who look forward to seeing the more successful ones take a tumble.

"But to state that it prevails at inter-county level in Derry when their neighbours Tyrone are concerned is wide of the mark.

Broaden your horizons gentlemen. Take a trip over the Glenshane Pass into the heartland of Derry supporters. Or even venture a few miles down the road to Lavey, Maghera and Magherafelt.

You are seriously deluding yourselves by thinking that antipathy towards the Red Hands in Derry is restricted to the "odd crank".

- Finally, no All-Ireland semi-final week would be complete without a dig about the price of tickets.

'Sean from Cookstown' will do the needful this week.

"I would like to vent my annoyance at the semi-final ticket prices, £45 is too expensive. Take the wife, the kids, fuel and food into consideration and it's an expensive day out." (Be a real man and leave the wife and kids at home – JOKE, JOKE, JOKE).

"Commonsense would tell you and me that if the GAA wants to fill Croker for these games a cheaper pricing system should apply.

"The country is bang in the middle of recession and with thousands out of work the GAA should provide affordable packages and fill Croke Park."

That's just as pitiful a piece as the dung Martin Brehony wrote a few weeks back about the Championship in 2029 or something like that. Heaney is a lot better than this .... pull the finger out Paddy if your reading.

talktothehand

well the derry men here in coleraine would rather anyone but tyrone win. saw loads of them with dublin, then armagh, then kerry tops on in croke park in recent years. sad really but i love it lol! linfield will win sam before derry do again :)

screenexile

I also am a cardcarrying member of the ABT brigade. I hope they never win another thing. Most in our club are the same Heaney has a point.

Having said that of course there are some numpties about who are 'happy' Tyrone have done so well and believe theybare a great county blah blah blah

Don't get me wrong their achievements are amazing and I have the utmost respect for them but I hope Cork win on Sunday I'm sick of listening to the hoors!!!! 

red hander

We all lie awake at night worrying about what a bunch of inbred losers think about us, we really do... ;)

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: red hander on August 20, 2009, 06:54:45 PM
We all lie awake at night worrying about what a bunch of inbred losers think about us, we really do... ;)

When did the inbreeding in Tyrone stop.  Glass Houses and Stones here I think Red Hander.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 21, 2009, 12:07:33 AM
When did the inbreeding in Tyrone stop. 

At about the time that we jettisoned Doire as part of Tír Eoghain (16th Century).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gaffer

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2009, 06:32:59 PM
I also am a cardcarrying member of the ABT brigade. I hope they never win another thing. Most in our club are the same Heaney has a point.

Having said that of course there are some numpties about who are 'happy' Tyrone have done so well and believe theybare a great county blah blah blah

Don't get me wrong their achievements are amazing and I have the utmost respect for them but I hope Cork win on Sunday I'm sick of listening to the hoors!!!!

Reading this sort of stuff makes victory on Sunday , if we achieve it, even sweeter !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

NaomhBridAbú

Heaney is doing what most good journalists do - creating conversation and debate on a no-news day. In that issue of the Irish News there was no breaking GAA stuff.

I used to think that the Tyrone rivalry was with Armagh but that view was corrected at the 2006 Ulster championship game with Derry and again reconfirmed this year at Casement Park.

in 2006 Tyrone were well beaten but what history failed to write was that Derry also won the battle of bad manners, bad language and the annual 'teach your child new bad words' competition. I know that they don't have the monopoly on that kind of behaviour but they excelled that day.

Using the phrase 'Anyone But Tyrone' is almost the best kind of flattery - in that there is absolutely nothing positive to say about your own team. Heaney use the old 'the team are great' in one articles but the 'fans are twats' in the other routine, and can use the cloak of professional journalism, to somehow make it OK for him to say it.

Ultimately Tyrone have alot more to talk about
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

NaomhBridAbú

incidently i think we'll go down by a point this weekend
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Master Yoda

As a good Derry man nothing would make me happier than to see Cork give Tyrone a good hammering on Sunday.

One of my best football memories was being in Croke park in 96 when Meath give Tyrone a bit of their own medicine, even now when I think about it I can't stop a big smile from breaking out on my face.

Quote from: red hander on August 20, 2009, 06:54:45 PM
Thats one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board  :D :D :D. Imagine a Tyrone man calling any one else inbreds. Holy Jesus the boys around Galbally make that wee banjo player out of deliverence look a city slicker.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

ONeill

It's simply a measure of success. Steve Davis, Man Utd, Liverpool in the 80s, Martina Navratilova and even Jesus suffered the same ill-will.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.