19 year old's liver packs in

Started by imtommygunn, August 20, 2009, 12:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8211572.stm

Your man must have been doing some drinking.

6 months non-drinking to qualify. I suppose that's fair enough but it does seem like different circumstances from the normal liver malfunction.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Surely there should be a distinction based on whether alcohol abuse was the sole reason for the liver failure, or merely a contributory factor int he failure of a naturally defective liver.

Scary stuff. Like a lot of people on here I'm sure, I'm no stranger to the binge drinking myself.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

deiseach

The six month rule reflects that fact that there aren't enough donor livers to go around. Would Mr Anderson like to explain to someone who has followed the rules regarding alcohol abstinence that they'll have to wait because they are old?

longrunsthefox

How's this boy supposed to follow six month abstinent rule as he will be dead by then?

deiseach

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 20, 2009, 02:20:22 PM
How's this boy supposed to follow six month abstinent rule as he will be dead by then?

Lots of other people waiting for liver transplants will die. Who will be the one to tell the person who just missed out why they were bumped down the list?

5 Sams

Musta been some fckin session.....
The Aristocrat Years

theskull1

Surely we can be sure that the medical and ethical issues surrounding this headline case is and will be dealt with responsibly by the medical staff who are looking after him? Taking into of course the shortage of livers and likelyhood of success etc etc

Or do we need Nolan to bully these people into making decisions to suit the emotional argument regardless of whether it is the "right" decision.  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

It's the way of the world these days. Everybody is either an instant expert or demands that their opinion carry the same weight as that of the expert. Expertise is denigrated and excellence dismissed as "elitism". Pressure groups demand the right to set policy without reference to anything but their own sectional interest. Politicians intervene in the judicial system on behalf of constituents. Joe Duffy sets the agenda for the HSE, with callers using his forum as some sort of proxy, but restricted ballot box to press the claims of their sick child against those of all the sick children whose parents haven't had the cop-on to use this method. The guards' deployment and priorities are driven by the publicity of the latest atrocity. The Sunday Game effectively drives the disciplinary system of the GAA. During the foot and mouth epidemic in Britain, one of the red-tops "adopted" a calf (white and cute-looking, of course) and there was a campaign to save this particular animal from the cull, just because its picture was in the paper. The people administering the transplant waiting lists and the patients higher on the list don't stand a chance if this particular white calf campaign takes off.

How am I doing in the "rant of the week" table?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2009, 03:10:34 PM

You're not even on it.

You are however top of the "Post of the Day" list.

Good post.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

pintsofguinness

Good post indeed Hardy, makes a lot of sense.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2009, 02:22:35 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 20, 2009, 02:20:22 PM

Lots of other people waiting for liver transplants will die. Who will be the one to tell the person who just missed out why they were bumped down the list?

I will.  Practically all others would have been drinking for decades and well warned of the consequences but carried on... as in case of George Best.  Sounds like this boys liver wasn't up to the task of binge drinking at all like many people do at that age.   

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2009, 03:10:34 PM
It's the way of the world these days. Everybody is either an instant expert or demands that their opinion carry the same weight as that of the expert. Expertise is denigrated and excellence dismissed as "elitism". Pressure groups demand the right to set policy without reference to anything but their own sectional interest. Politicians intervene in the judicial system on behalf of constituents. Joe Duffy sets the agenda for the HSE, with callers using his forum as some sort of proxy, but restricted ballot box to press the claims of their sick child against those of all the sick children whose parents haven't had the cop-on to use this method. The guards' deployment and priorities are driven by the publicity of the latest atrocity. The Sunday Game effectively drives the disciplinary system of the GAA. During the foot and mouth epidemic in Britain, one of the red-tops "adopted" a calf (white and cute-looking, of course) and there was a campaign to save this particular animal from the cull, just because its picture was in the paper. The people administering the transplant waiting lists and the patients higher on the list don't stand a chance if this particular white calf campaign takes off.

It's called 'survival of the twittest'.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 20, 2009, 03:44:00 PM
I will.  Practically all others would have been drinking for decades and well warned of the consequences but carried on... as in case of George Best.  Sounds like this boys liver wasn't up to the task of binge drinking at all like many people do at that age.

Yeah, you'll go and tell someone (surrounded no doubt by their loving family) that they had it coming and thou shalt reap just what you sow. Good luck with that

screenmachine

Grow a set.  Stop complaining about a hangover young lad.  I've drunk through worse the day after the rip...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2009, 04:02:42 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 20, 2009, 03:44:00 PM

Yeah, you'll go and tell someone (surrounded no doubt by their loving family) that they had it coming and thou shalt reap just what you sow. Good luck with that

No bother. You might find their family might not be that 'loving' after years of an alcoholic falling in the door and causing them so much pain. Is part of that illness that affects  families so much. Most often they have been emotionally and at times physically very damaged and abused by the person who is drunk all the time. So don't overcook the loving family stuff