Irish Proxy Server

Started by imtommygunn, August 20, 2009, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I see from the ads someone has seen an opportunity for RTE outside Ireland via the web.

I wonder had they been reading this site to give them the idea?

Also I wonder what RTE make of it...

qz

they are advertising on rte.ie sportspages too!

gerry

just noticed that, £100 a year seems a bit steep
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Cúig huaire

Quote from: gerry on August 26, 2009, 11:08:04 PM
just noticed that, £100 a year seems a bit steep

Well worth it if it works.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Caid

I think there is a disclaimer on it that says "please refer to tv channels rules or something prior to using" which I think means if you use it rte may still shut you down

not sure - agree it would be well worth it if it works (better than $20 a throw for gaa /rugby matches)
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

mikeo

Are there many of these? I've been using www.overplay.net and its working bloody well, but it might get a bit expensive long term (its $10/month)

mick999

Bud Wiser

I do be installing CCTV Systems when I am not wasting my time on here.  A company that I deal with manufacture a server which in laymans language you plug your camera into and then log on over the ould internet.  At IFSEC Exhibition I was looking at a demo of their latest server that does not even require a static IP address and to demonstrate how it works with low bandwidths using H264 compression they had it plugged itno the output of a TV showing a live program in Taiwan.
The reception even on low bandwidth was as clear and in realtime as Brian Dobson reading the news.

If I was a bit of a chancer I could plug this server into my telly and you could watch the AIF it as clean as a whistle in Timbucktu.

If anyone is interested in investing in this idea until such time as we get arrested then step forward.  If anyone is in some far flung corner of the world and wants to see the AIF I can provide coverage for free.

http://www.fennetec.com/IPCAMS.html
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

thebigfella

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 04, 2009, 10:44:55 AM
I do be installing CCTV Systems when I am not wasting my time on here.  A company that I deal with manufacture a server which in laymans language you plug your camera into and then log on over the ould internet.  At IFSEC Exhibition I was looking at a demo of their latest server that does not even require a static IP address and to demonstrate how it works with low bandwidths using H264 compression they had it plugged itno the output of a TV showing a live program in Taiwan.
The reception even on low bandwidth was as clear and in realtime as Brian Dobson reading the news.

If I was a bit of a chancer I could plug this server into my telly and you could watch the AIF it as clean as a whistle in Timbucktu.

If anyone is interested in investing in this idea until such time as we get arrested then step forward.  If anyone is in some far flung corner of the world and wants to see the AIF I can provide coverage for free.

http://www.fennetec.com/IPCAMS.html

IP ranges are allocated based on you jurisdiction. Very little ISP's allocate you a static IP address, in fact it's standard not to. When your server is hooked up to your home internet connection your ISP will allocates a dynamic IP address from a set range to your cable/adsl modem. The IP allocated will be from a range registered for a particular jurisdiction and if you wish to watch,  RTE stuff for example from outside Ireland/a jurisdiction, your IP will be blocked.

For that reason, I don't think this is an investable business. Therefore I'm out  ;)

dmancork

Bud Wiser

QuoteFor that reason, I don't think this is an investable business. Therefore I'm out   

No, you are incorrect.  A static IP address is simple to get with Eircom, you just ring them and they put it on while you wait for a fee of 50 euro once off.  I have already proved that it is do-able

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Main Street

That's a 50 euro rip off.
A subscriber should be able to get a static ip for free, as part of the service, same as an email address is part of the service.

Bud Wiser

Eircom have been a rip off for years. I worked for them for 17. They are currently advertising a package for new customers and not telling their existing customers about it, UPC will provide a static IP if you are business but refuse to do so if you are not !!