Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 17, 2011, 01:46:01 PM
Anybody know if the fixtures are made yet for the Leagues?

Championship draws being made on monday week, so I reckon they should be available after that hopefully.

múinteoirmór

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2011, 10:24:02 AM
Someones supposed knowledge of the local game is a bit poor. Loughgiel are plus 6 in the handicap i fancy this to be a tighter game. Can anyone persuade me otherwise?

MR2, are you suggesting that my knowledge of the local game is limited?
Quote from: the colonel on February 16, 2011, 11:07:49 PM

Why would one position on the pitch determine his ability?
I am not suggestiong for one minute that he can only play at corner forward.  In fact, the complete opposite.  I think the lad has an all round capabilty to play in various positions from mid-field onwards.
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

múinteoirmór

Quote from: NAG1 on February 17, 2011, 08:54:05 AM
Quote from: múinteoirmór on February 16, 2011, 08:04:57 PM
Looks like some are already begrudging Loughgiel, even before their big day on Saturday.  Good luck to them I say!
To suggest LW will play in corner forward, I think underestimates the lads ability, he is most likely to be all over the place trying to win ball and doing what he does best.  I just hope his temperament and discipline prevail.  On that basis I think Louighgiel will get the right result.  I hope young Barney makes it also!  The very best of luck to the Shamrocks.  :)  Get tore into the Gaels lads, your club have a very proud tradition at this level, the only hurling club in Ulster to ever do it!

I hope this was tongue in cheek, LG management and fans will be hoping for the exact opposite to happen.
Are you trying to tell me that his discipline and temperament are not concerns for the LG management ref?  By the way, I don't do tongue in cheek, just facts and no ambiguity!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

theskull1

Quote from: pdiddy on February 17, 2011, 03:31:08 PM
I think Skull should have a flutter on it aswell.  Either way he's a winner  ;)

Theres more to life than winning diddy. Surely you'd know that  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

múinteoirmór

By Donnchadh Boyle

Wednesday February 16 2011

HAVING been installed as underdogs for a number of key games in this campaign, former Kilkenny star Andy Comerford doesn't believe the favourites' tag will suit his O'Loughlin Gaels side as they face Antrim's Loughgiel Shamrocks in the All-Ireland club SHC semi-final at Parnell Park on Saturday.

O'Loughlins were outsiders in their county semi-final and final, where they beat five-in-a-row-chasing Ballyhale Shamrocks and Carrickshock respectively, while they also toppled a fancied Oulart-The Ballagh side in the Leinster final. But on Saturday, they are clear favourites (1/7) to oust the Ulster men and set up a final date with either De La Salle or Clarinbridge on St Patrick's Day.

"We are red hot favourites but we're definitely a team that needs to be backed into a corner and then we come out fighting," Comerford said. "The more pressure is put on us and the more teams get on top of us the more we fight back. The favourites' tag is something we have to live with and we'll see how we progress with that.

Challenge

"But it doesn't really suit this team to be favourites, they rather come in as underdogs and then rise to the challenge of people writing them off. That's what they did against Ballyhale and that's what they did against Oulart."

Comerford manages the Kilkenny city side along with Michael Nolan, but the former Kildare manager played on the last O'Loughlins side to reach this stage in 2004, when Newtownshandrum beat them after a replay on the way to an All-Ireland title.

"It didn't happen for us on the day. I was more disappointed for the club, when you look back and see that it (an All-Ireland title) is something which has eluded the club.

"We have won championship and won Leinsters so this club has ambitions of winning All-Irelands. The bulk of the players are there from the last time and they want to put it right."

Brian Hogan and Comerford's brother Martin are the star turns in the side, but full-back Andy Kearns is a major doubt. Loughgiel boast the likes of Liam Watson and, as the only Ulster side to win the All-Ireland title, they have history on their side. And after Waterford's De La Salle were brought to extra-time at Parnell Park by another Antrim outfit (Cushendall) in 2009, Comerford insists the bookmakers' odds will go out the window when the ball is thrown in.

"We're in a different position going into this match and we definitely won't be taking Loughgiel Shamrocks for granted. I played against (Antrim teams) as a player and we know what they bring to the table and that's ultimate commitment. They have done some great underage work and they do great hurling work in general in various parts of Antrim. They'll go for us for the 60 minutes.

"We'll have to keep a close eye on Liam Watson -- he's a serious forward as he proved last year on Eoin Cadogan at Croke Park. He's well able to take points and he could bury you.

"I have footage on them, a couple of DVDs and I saw them first hand when I was with Kildare and they won't lack anything for commitment.

"Some of our younger players wouldn't have experience of playing against northern teams and they are a different breed of hurler. They will fight to the bitter end and the younger players on our team will have to be steeled up for that."

- Donnchadh Boyle

Irish Independent

Fairhead

Quote from: theskull1 on February 17, 2011, 10:49:37 AM
Also think it'll be a tight game. OLG's wont have the swagger of Ballyhale or Portumna and LG haven't took many pastings in the past few years. Can't see any team romping it

OLG might not have the swagger of a Ballyhale or Portumna but they have beat Ballyhale, Carrickshock, Ballyboden and Oulart the Ballagh in their last 4 games. Who needs swagger if you can still beat the quality of those teams? For fear of maybe offending multiple people on here i wont try and compare the quality of Loughgiels last 4 opponents to that 4 above. However conditions at this time of the year can result in tight matches and no doubt Loughgiel will be determined and come out all guns blazing so it might be tight for the first 30/40 mins. But over the course of the hour i think OLG with Hogan, Maurice Nolan at midfield and Bergin not missing many frees, will lead them to a win.

Seamroga in exile

Less than 12 hours to take off! I can not feckin wait to hit the road again!

I think it'll be a lot closer than odds suggests. Still would say that OLG are strong favourites simply because of the route they had to take to get here. Still, if the ball rolls right for us, who knows what might happen!!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Heading down, hopeful they will do as the last few Antrim teams  have down lately (well not Rossa against James Stephens!!) is give it  a good rattle and get a result. I'm liking the, score more than 13.5 points bet that Paddy Power are giving. but as has been said already Loughgiel haven't scored a wile lot this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maxpower

Well what is the last minute team news, always players carrying injuries into these games after the heavy training. It can have a big bearing on the game.

With OLG losing their regular full back will the shamrocks stick LW in there and target them?

Just on the leinster final I think these teams have many similarities, very dependant on excellent CHB, and one superb forward. Both teams capable of grinding out a low scoring affair. Just fancy OLG main men are that little better than LG, I'd go with the spread
What happens next????

Last Man

L'giel look the physically stronger so far anyway, best efforts coming from the defence as usual. Forwards could do withbaring their teeth.

imtommygunn

Hard to see them getting enough scores. Too many mistakes in their touch and hard to see where the scores will come from. Doing well though - initially they looked in trouble and weathered the storm.

Minder

That last Loughgiel point was well wide
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

+6 well gone.

To be fair to Loughgiel they have battled well but just aren't good enough. They definitely showed a lot of character.

All over now though.

You get punished for mistakes at this level and their handling errors have cost them dear.

maxpower

Neither team particularly impressed, OLG had plenty of handling errors themselves but where just always that wee bit better.
What happens next????