Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 03, 2010, 06:57:51 PM
That's good... keeps the summer going and more games bring them on. Is it Limerick next?

I think were in the draw with Tipperary, Limerick and Dublin. 

glens73

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on July 03, 2010, 07:18:17 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 03, 2010, 06:57:51 PM
That's good... keeps the summer going and more games bring them on. Is it Limerick next?

I think were in the draw with Tipperary, Limerick and Dublin.

Offaly and Clare may have something to say about that.

Offaly play Limerick which I imagine they'd win given Limerick's current plight and Clare play Dublin which could be a tight one. Obviously, Tipp are the team to avoid.

imtommygunn

I don't think a more shocking ref performance will ever be witnessed either.

Antrim had 3 frees in the first 35 minutes. 3! It wasn't a dirty game but they should have had 3 or 4 scorable ones on top of the 3.

He played it fairer in the second half. Shafted Carlow at the end for antrim to go 2 up to be honest.

Carlow are a good team as anticipated. Some good hurlers and some great fielders of the ball. They tired a lot at the end for some reason.

Antrim have a lot to do but it is very pleasing to see the fighting spirit they had. They could really have lost that game and lost it big.

Last Man

REFFIN RIDICULOUS, PJ O'connell dragged down by the neck, Karl McKeegan rugby tackled to name but 2. The ould whistle must have been on its last legs and he had to coax her through to the end of the game.
The boys looked jittery though, Karl S and Hippy not as assured as last week. Simon McCrory worked hard and made a fair difference when he got his chance.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Last Man on July 03, 2010, 10:06:00 PM
REFFIN RIDICULOUS, PJ O'connell dragged down by the neck, Karl McKeegan rugby tackled to name but 2. The ould whistle must have been on its last legs and he had to coax her through to the end of the game.
The boys looked jittery though, Karl S and Hippy not as assured as last week. Simon McCrory worked hard and made a fair difference when he got his chance.

Antrim never seem to get a good reff. The game against Wexford 2003 we were shafted and according to some reports against Offaly this year as well.

imtommygunn

This was another level though Baile an tuaigh. It really had to be seen to be believed. 3 frees in 35 minutes of hurling - unbelievable. Carlow aren't dirty mind but it is a contact sport and there were about 5 or 6 clear frees not to mention McManus's legitimate goal disallowed.

Antrim need to improve mind. The starting wing half forwards were non-existent and Johnny Campbell really needs to improve. I thought O'Connell(with a saddle on his back), Stewart and Karl were excellent. Defenders shown a clean pair of heels on quite a few occassions. McCrory and McFall made big difference from bench too.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on July 03, 2010, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: Last Man on July 03, 2010, 10:06:00 PM

Antrim never seem to get a good reff. The game against Wexford 2003 we were shafted and according to some reports against Offaly this year as well.

He was the ref in the Offaly game! Actually thought if anything he favoured us in that game. McGhee should have walked for a wild pull and he let a lot go in our favour. The free at the end was soft enough but you can't give a ref a chance to do something like that to draw a game.

That said, thought he made some unbelievable decisions today. How he could disallow our goal fom 30 yards away when his umpires didn't react at all was incredible. The Carlow fans around us were joking saying they had given him a lift up! That said, we didn't help ourselves by giving away frees by waving sticks in front of freetakers again and again.

Was delighted that the team showed the balls to come back from being 8 points down at one stage.

On a separate note, have to say the Carlow fans around us were very gracious notwithstanding the result. Don't think I would have been so magnanimous if the game has panned out the other way around.

imtommygunn

The carlow ones around me were a good bunch too. To lose in that tight a match must be tough. They are a bloody good team and we were miles of them first half. We really had to step it up. They hit wides at crucial times too which killed them while we managed to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Had we lost in a tight match after having that ref would have made you livid.

Milltown Row2

what a performance by the referee!!!

Antrim were nearly caught out by a very good Carlow team. their fitness, fielding and passion for the game was brilliant. it was a great game to watch and was played at a real high tempo. Antrim won despite the referees attempts, was speaking to some of the lads afterwards and they said it was a serious fast game, they took a lot of hits and I'm sure are sore today.

Carlow brought up some supporters and as said already they were great.

did anyone notice the managers at the end of the game? you would have thought we won the All Ireland!!! The doc was mauled by the managers. Antrim now need to kick on. if they manage to avoid Tipp then we might get to a quarter final.

i started the boos at the referee at the end. i shouldn't have but he was clearly doing his best ti try and lose us the match. Seen him referee before and he's been grand. enjoyed the cheering when he give Antrim their first free.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Is there a draw, I heard yesterday we play Tipp now.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fairhead

Gret to see a good spirit in the Antrim team and it was needed in the 2nd half. Carlow have improved and will continue to improve. They are reaping the reward of good underage work and they are now competitive with the likes of Offaly, Wexford and Laois in the Leinster minor and u21 championships (they have beaten all these counties in recent years in either minor or u21).

As for the draw, although we dont know who Antrim will get it is predetermined in that the winners of Phase I (Antrim and Tipp) will play a winner from Phase II (Clare/Dublin or Offaly/Lim). Now going on form and Limericks well publicised problems you would have to fancy Offaly in that one and if thats the case i think Offaly and Antrim cant play again (but i havent seen that written down yet). Pobably better to leave aside the speculation on that one for now but the one sure thing is Antrim dont play Tipp.

imtommygunn

Likewise I haven't seen it written anywhere we can't play Offaly.

Realistically if we want to be competing the next game is one we would want to be winning. It will really be a big statement of where we're at.

We will need to improve from yesterday but a few things should be noted... PJ O'Connell was very good second half for about ten or so minutes and was causing real problems using his strength to win the ball. The carlow defender then realised if he just charged into the back of him the ref wouldn't give a free and he could win the ball and clean up. He proceeded to do this consistently and O'Connell was taken off as he had been nullified. Also McManus was causing problems running at the heart of Carlow so he was on a number of occassions just fouled. Ref gives nothing. This is not to take away from Carlow might I add - they are things any defender does. Our game had to change significantly due to the ref.

The funniest thing about it was that he shafted carlow with about a minute to go after being so biased the whole game and probably cost them at least a draw.

That ref honestly shouldn't be let near a championship game ever again. I would rarely comment on refs either as they generally do their job and are prone to human error like anyone.

Anyway, rant over. The game was flying - Carlow men were cramping all over and a few antrim ones too.

Onthehill

Yeah what a game yesterday. The boys showed something I havent seen in Antrim hurling teams in a long time.  The game was played with an electric pace and i was delighted the level we showed.

The refereeing was unbelieveable. In all honesty i thought he done ok for us against offaly but yesterday was he was terribly biased.  In theend we had to take most of our scores from play as we werent getting them from frees.

The substitutions made a great impact...McCrory was the main impact. He ran at the carlow defence and they hadnt the legs to catch him. Barry and Eddie both played a great part as well.

Did anyone see the management after the game...it was as if we had won the all ireland final. Dinny, Dick O Kane, Bubbles and the two cork lads were doing a dance just of the bench. Great day for the hurlers.

Craigyhill Terror

Definitely can't play Offaly again:

Phase III (11.07.2010 – Live Draw by RTE – Subject to repeat Pairings)

Two Bowls

Bowl A
Phase I Winners (x2)

Bowl B
Phase II Winners (x2)
Venues to be determined by the CCCC

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on July 04, 2010, 03:04:55 PM
Definitely can't play Offaly again:

Phase III (11.07.2010 – Live Draw by RTE – Subject to repeat Pairings)

Two Bowls

Bowl A
Phase I Winners (x2)

Bowl B
Phase II Winners (x2)
Venues to be determined by the CCCC

. . .  and so we have to play either Dublin or Clare (assuming Offaly beat Limerick)?