Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I think you nailed it there TwoHands, "decision making". They persisted to solo the ball into trouble and then lose it under a tackle. They don't hve the physical makeup to play this type of hurling. I know the forwards were poor but some of Antrims backs, under little pressure, kept pumping high balls in on top of the forwards with predictable results. I wonder do they even have a gameplan or work on a style of hurling during the week at training. I think it is Down next , at home, then Wexford away.

Any word on Graffin, seemed to pull up with what looked like a hamstring pull?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Minder on March 21, 2010, 10:22:37 PM
I think you nailed it there TwoHands, "decision making". They persisted to solo the ball into trouble and then lose it under a tackle. They don't hve the physical makeup to play this type of hurling. I know the forwards were poor but some of Antrims backs, under little pressure, kept pumping high balls in on top of the forwards with predictable results. I wonder do they even have a gameplan or work on a style of hurling during the week at training. I think it is Down next , at home, then Wexford away.

Any word on Graffin, seemed to pull up with what looked like a hamstring pull?
Sure they only trained on Friday night. Thats the problem with Dinny coming up from Tipp. The 1st time they met after the Laois was Friday night...Thats not good enough. 1-9 to 0-13 from 70 minutes on a good day for hurling tells you alot about the standard of todays match

Aye Graffin i'd say has pulled hamstring..a few weeks out for him.

NAG1

Didnt make the game on sunday, was it as bad as is being reported?

maxpower

had hoped to get up on Sunday but didn't make it.

Surely a one point loss to clare is a serious improvement on a 10 point loss to laois.  heard hippy and mcmanus were our top performers.  going by reports i think antrim are going to need paddy richmond back, just have no other ball winning forwards
What happens next????

Last Man

Leaving aside the quality, I was impressed by the work rate from start to finish. Excluding McManus the forwards were indeed toothless and just couldn't link up, not comfortable with each other at all, Shane shudve been moved up to rip things up a bit along with McManus after the sending off.
Not sure I agreed with leaving McCann on the edge of the square when he came on, he is decent in the air but I have never seen this role work for him against a reasonable FB. With fresh legs and 10 to go he should have given his man more to think about.
But as usual it's easy sayin it now.

the colonel

1. Gareth Magee 2. Aaron Graffin 3. Cormac Donnelly 4. Barry McFall 5. Neil McAuley 6. Karl McKeegan 7. Ciaran Herrom 8. Paul Shiels 9. Shane McNaughton 10. Simon McCrory 11. Neil McManus 12. P.J. O'Connell 13. Colm McFall 14. Martin Scullion 15. Conor McAlister

sundays team from county site
the difference between success and failure is energy

drici

Unconvincing win for Clare on the Falls Road
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14124.msg662741#msg662741

Alan Markham gets away from Antrim's Barry McFall and Karl McKeegan. Photo by Seamus Loughran

National Hurling League  Div 2 Round 4

Antrim           1-09

Clare              0-13

A slender victory in Belfast may keep Clare in promotion contention but leaves the question: is Clare hurling in steep decline or does this effort merely represent the stormy night before a glorious summer dawn?

Clare took the long road to Casement Park on the Falls Road to take on opposition that would normally be regarded as cannon fodder. Irrespective of the opposing team, 2010 is now proving to be a major obstacle for Clare to overcome as they attempt to reassert a hurling challenge on the national stage.

Wexford's loss to a Carlow side that would never win a first division game and Clare's inability to overcome Wexford at home shows just how far these once strong sides have fallen.

Fergal Lynch, who was most unfortunate to receive a red card entering the final quarter, had Clare's opening brace of scores either side of 1-1 from Antrim's Neil McManus (goal) and Paul Shields (point). Colin Ryan and Diarmuid McMahon added further scores to level the game after 12 minutes.

Darach Honan had travelled to Belfast in the aftermath of Clonlara's U21 championship victory over Door Barefield but was forced to retire with hamstring problems. His replacement, Barry Nugent, hit a rich vein of form for ten minutes bagging a hat-trick of scores before Antrim's Neil McManus did likewise.

Colin Ryan and Shane McNaughton were also on the scoresheet as Clare held on to a slender 0-9 to 1-5 half time advantage. Pat Vaughan, who was Clare's best player, and Cian Dillon were the pick of the Clare rearguard.

Twice Philip Brennan came to Clare's rescue in the second half with tremendous reflex saves as Antrim hit hard in the final twenty minutes when Clare were operating without Lynch.

A long range pass from Philip Brennan found Diarmuid McMahon for the opening score of the second half before Paul Shields and Colin Ryan swopped scores.

Clare still managed to maintain a one point lead ahead of their hosts with scores from Aaron Smylie and Sean Collins with a well earned point leaving Clare 0-11 to 1-7. Brennan made a fine save in the 57th minute before Colin Ryan had the final Clare score in the 61st minute.

The visitors had to endure ten minutes of had fought rearguard action during which Antrim added two more scores from Paul Shields and Colm McFall as well as witnessing Pat Vaughan making a goal line clearance in the dying moments to secure a vital brace of league points.

Consequently Clare will emerge as division two league finalists and aiming for a quick return to the top flight.

The winners had strong displays from Philip Brennan, Pat Vaughan, Cian Dillon, Sean Collins,  Fergal Lynch, Barry Nugent and James McInerney.

CLARE: Philip Brennan, Pat Vaughan, Cian Dillon, Gerry O'Grady, Brendan Bugler, James McInerney, Pat Donnellan, Sean Collins (0-1), Aonghus O'Brien, Diarmuid McMahon (0-2), David Barrett, Fergal Lynch (0-2), Darach Honan, Alan Markham, Colin Ryan (0-5). Subs: Barry Nugent (0-3) for Honan (inj), Cormac O'Donovan for O'Brien, Mark Flaherty for Markham, Martin Oige Murphy for Barrett, Eamonn Glynn for Donnellan.

ANTRIM : G McGhee, A Graffin, C Donnelly, M Scullion, M McAuley, K McKeegan, C Herron, P Shiels, PJ O'Connell, S McCrory, N McManus, S McNaughton, B McFall, C McFall, C McAllister. Subs: A Smylie for McAllister, T McCann for Scullion, D Hamill for McCrory, S McKeague for B McFall, E McCloskey for O'Connell.

REFEREE: Barry Kelly (Westmeath). 

clootfromthe21

Congrats to CPC on retaining the O'Keefe Cup by beating Dungarvan CBS by 1 - 12 to 0 - 11.

slow corner back

Excellent stuff from CPC. Some fine work being done there by all concerned.

Minder

Westmeath 1-14 Antrim 1-13 FT
:-[

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Minder on March 28, 2010, 05:50:47 PM
Westmeath 1-14 Antrim 1-13 FT
:-[
No suprise given the team named.McManus/Graffin not playing..Shorty not starting.

Westmeath 1-14 1-13 Antrim 

Shane McNaughton scored 1-6 for Antrim before being dismissed 
Antrim slipped to a one-point defeat by Allianz NHL Division Two strugglers Westmeath at Cusack Park on Sunday.

The hosts, without a win before the game, led 1-7 to 0-9 at half-time with Shane McNaughton hitting five points for the Saffrons.

Antrim started the second half strongly and McNaughton netted as the Ulstermen surged clear.

McNaughton was red-carded for striking before Westmeath fought back to clinch a surprise victory.

Minder

I take it Graffin was injured from last week?

according to County website Collie McFall got the goal. It is still surprising Two Hands as Westmeath hadn't won a game yet and Kildare had beaten them.

glens73

From the county board guestbook.

Name : Mark28 March 2010How did the hurlers do against Westmeath?

Beat by a point 1.14 to 1.13. Missing a lot of regulars such as McManus, Graffin etc through injury and suspension.

There should no excuses for this defeat, it's almost a new all-time low and there's been a few of them over the years.

Two Hands FFS

I got that report from BBC website

I wasnt suprised Minder. Wait til you see the team named.

nrico2006

Curley gives Westmeath hope
Westmeath 1-14
Antrim 1-13

Monday March 29 2010

Westmeath edged to their first win of the league campaign to give themselves hope of avoiding the drop.

Their heart and commitment belied their form, and their 1-7 to 0-9 half-time lead flattered Antrim. The goal came in the 16th minute when Ciaran Curley rifled home from close range after the outstanding Darren McCormack sent in a dangerous ball.

Antrim went in front six minutes into the second half when Shane McNaughton fired in a goal from 20 metres. It was nip and tuck thereafter and the sides were tied at 1-12 apiece with eight minutes remaining. Brendan Murtagh's free and a fine score from play from 60 metres by Derek McNicholas edged the hosts ahead.

McNaughton then received a straight red card and, in the last action of the game, visiting sub Paul Shields tried to blast home a winning goal, but his 25-metre free flew over rather than under the bar.

Scorers -- Westmeath: B Murtagh 0-5 (0-4f, 0-1 '65), D McNicholas 0-4, C Curley 1-0, A Dowdall 0-2, J Clarke, E Price, D Carty 0-1 each. Antrim: S McNaughton 1-6 (0-4f), K McKeegan (0-2f, 0-1 '65') and P Shields (0-2f) 0-3 each, PJ O'Connell 0-1.

Westmeath -- B McLoughlin; G Gavin, A Price, C Jordan; J Shaw, A Mitchell, D McCormack; N Flanagan, E Price; A Dowdall, D McNicholas, J Clarke; D Carty, B Murtagh, C Curley Subs: L Smith for Flanagan (43), P Greville for Gavin (44), R Jackson for Clarke (70).

Antrim -- G McGee; N McAuley, J McKeague, B McFall; PJ O'Connell, C Donnelly, C Herron; P Shivers, K McKeegan; S McNaughton, P McGill, S McCrory; C McFall, A Smiley, E McCloskey Subs: P Shields for McGill (h-t), T McCann for Smiley (h-t), D Hamill for McCloskey (50), M Scullion for C McFall (63).

Ref -- E Hassen (Derry).

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'