Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Sorry - just checking. Assuming that Offaly are the opponents at Casement on 30 May, then that is the "Biggie" for me and the real test of the team.

Minder

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on February 21, 2010, 10:40:15 PM
The lad Barry McFall was a good 'un from u16 level - good to see him get a run out. Hard to tell how the season will pan out as in my view it is all about being ready come June, July. Cahill never saw the league as anything other than a puckabout. As I said, I have faith that Dinny will have the best 15 on the day - forget the Ulster Final by the way as we need a good southern scalp. Ps - are Limerick or Wexford due Casement way this year?

Limerick are in Div 1. Clare is in Casement, Wexford is away. Final game I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hurler on the Bitch

sameoldstorey

how would have the game have gone if  had been a neutral referee today. winker would surley have got the line and all the tackles around the neck would surley have been punished.and i am still at odds wat the last free was for.

Minder

Two Hands FFS

I presume he means the leinster championship.they'll hardly be worried.

imtommygunn

Anyone got the lineup??

drici

Division 2 - Antrim 1-11 Carlow 2-7: It took an injury-time point from a Liam Watson free to edge Antrim to victory at Casement Park. The home side started in top gear and a 12th minute goal by Martin Scullion had them ahead by 1-4 to 0-1.

Eddie Byrne helped Carlow hit back for points from Andrew Gaule and Paudie Kehoe (two frees) to leave just the goal between the sides on 21 minutes and only three more flags were raised before the beak.

The most important one was for a Carlow goal on 35 minutes when centre-half Eoin Nolan dropped a free from past halfway into the Antrim goalmouth and Craig Doyle knocked the ball home.

Watson landed a point from a placed ball to leave Antrim 1-6 to 1-4 ahead at the break.

Kehoe ghosted in to level the scores after 49 minutes with another Carlow goal, 1-8 to 2-5. Right on full-time Watson cracked over the winner for Antrim.

ANTRIM: C O'Connell; B McFall, N McGarry, N McAuley; A Graffin, K McKeegan, C Herron; M Scullion (1-0), N McManus 0-3, two frees); S McCrory (0-2), C McBride, L Watson (0-4, three frees); S McNaughton (0-2), T McCann, D Hamill. Subs: C McFall for McBride (40 mins), P McGill for Scullion (57 mins).

CARLOW: D Miley; A Corcoran, S Kavanagh (0-1, free), D Shaw; E Coady, E Nolan, R Coady; C Hughes, D Roberts; R Dunbar, E Byrne, M Brennan (0-1); A Gaule (0-2), C Doyle (1-0), P Kehoe (1-3, three frees). Subs: D English for Dunbar (half-time), B Lawlor for Kehoe (61 mins).

Referee: E Hasson (Derry)

bredaghgael86

Liam Watson clearly still hasn't grown up. He should have got the line for a pretty awful pull in the second half. When Antrim need him in tough games can they rely on him to finish the game. I don't think so. But time will tell. It was a poor performance from both sides, but Antrim willbe glad to start off with a win. Also some excellent performances from mccall mckegan and mcmanus.

Franko

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on February 22, 2010, 11:54:57 AM
Liam Watson clearly still hasn't grown up. He should have got the line for a pretty awful pull in the second half. When Antrim need him in tough games can they rely on him to finish the game. I don't think so. But time will tell. It was a poor performance from both sides, but Antrim willbe glad to start off with a win. Also some excellent performances from mccall mckegan and mcmanus.

Agree with most of that except for the McKeegan part. The Carlow 11 gave him the total runaround in the first half and the second was something similar – maybe not just as bad.

If he had struck the ball earlier instead of heading off these crazy solo runs every time he got the ball he would have done some serious damage.  Exposed McKeegan many times under the dropping ball.

Minder

Agree Franko, the 11 for Carlow won some amount of ball just didn't use it well when he got it.

NAG1

KMcK's style of play is very much a loose ball CHB he will drop off the CHF and sweep behind the two wing backs, this works extremely well when you have a midfielder who is switched on enough to drop into the hole and allow KMcK to drop back and cover the other defenders and be available for a handy pass out of defence.
However when the midfielders are under pressure and cant do this extra work and we are up against a CHF with a good brain then we find ourselves in trouble.

Its just the way he plays CHB somedays it works spectacularly and other days it can cost us games.

bredaghgael86

I agree that the number 11 won a load of ball first half. But I thought when karl got on the ball he used it well and pretty intelligently.

NAG1

Exactly my point when he is on the ball he is very good but if the CHF is better on the ball we are trouble.

maxpower

To be honest i think karls is the right way to play CHB, he stays about the forty, keeps the wingbacks covered and has the intelligence on the ball.  Similar to how Pappy played the game, they thing is everyone needs to buy in to that style so the centre half forward has less of an impact, i don't blame i CHB when a CHF gets the ball in the middle of the field, so long as the CHF isn't winning possession further up the field i think the CHB should remain playing in the hole
What happens next????