Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Antrim 1-10 Carlow 2-7

Not sure if that's full time...

imtommygunn

Result:

Antrim 1-11 Carlow 2-7

Tight enough but good to get a win!

Minder

One of the worst Antrim games I have had the misfortune of seeing.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Minder on February 21, 2010, 04:17:32 PM

Give us a wee run down (if you can't relive the memories!!!!)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on February 21, 2010, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 21, 2010, 04:17:32 PM

Give us a wee run down (if you can't relive the memories!!!!)
Lawrence Smyth or Tommy McCartney would be better at polishing this turd over on the county guestbook.

imtommygunn

BBC report claims carlow were promotion favourites.

I'd have thought wexford and clare would have something to say about that...

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2010, 08:51:59 PM
BBC report claims carlow were promotion favourites.

I'd have thought wexford and clare would have something to say about that...

You can never accuse the BBC of not doing their homework on Gaa matters.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2010, 04:11:26 PM
Result:

Antrim 1-11 Carlow 2-7

Tight enough but good to get a win!

Skill goes out the window on a day like this. You recall what Antrim did against Carlow on Croker in the 06 Christy Ring final - on a good sod I would have expected the same today. I was in Ballygalget three years ago in a game between Down and Cork which was played in a snowstorm. Cork were lucky to win by two points in a game that was a mixture between hockey and rugby league. Still, I have faith in Dinny - no bullshit from him! - and come championship time he will have the best side firing on all cylinders.

Minder

The weather wasn't that bad Hurler, it was cold but it wasn't raining or snowing. It was just a shit performance, can only improve I suppose.

gelvis

From the County Website:

Antrim Hurling fans should be pleased with the way the game went today; accepting that there are some significant absentees and therefore some essential trialling going on; again the game was played in winter conditions. However, as with the senior football panel, some players have had their attention and duty focused elsewhere showing their allegiance to club in the first instance. And here again there are some absences through injury, so all things considered these remaining lads not only worked hard but they also delivered on the day, so all due credit to them.

This match was very much a mixed bag, rather than one of quality hurling, as might be expected much later in the season. But what will go on record is that Antrim Senior hurlers did enough to keep the expectant Carlow forwards at bay and ultimately send them home again  disappointed. Staying power is invariably vitally important in Gaelic games, given the relentless pressure upon players. Staying power is fast becoming a characteristic of Antrim teams and that too was much in evidence again today. Antrim senior teams no longer lack the necessary tenacity and staying power needed in tough battles.

Antrim's half forward line was notably tough and determined today and essentially that dictated the result, when they took overall control of the game. Antrim midfield would appear to have some gaps with remedial work still to do. Carlow were allowed to look a bit too good, too often, in this area. Ball control was evidently more difficult in these harsh conditions but there was some evidence of an apparent Achilles heel, when Carlow scrambled two soft goals by following in on the high ball – Antrim backs were well tested and otherwise stood up to Carlow on many occasions; the soft goals coming only from a mucky melee.

All in all, this was a good day Antrim hurling and the start to the Allianz National Hurling League that Dinny and crew needed; it has many parallels with senior football and was at times a really tough battle for some of these lads but they held their nerve and otherwise coped well against a team expected to win on the day. It just goes to show that nothing can ever be taken for granted and that Antrim hurling is far from dead or in the doldrums; this was a good upset. Well done lads.

Man of the match today went to Barry Mc Faul and he was presented with a watch by Dinny Cahill, on behalf of our main sponsors Creagh Concrete.
Lawrence Smyth Antrim County PRO.

Watches for MOM performances?  More professionalism or just to make sure they get to training on time?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

imtommygunn

Anyone got the lineup??

Who were the significant absentees? I don't think there are too many Dunloy players to come back so sound slike a few excuses to cover a poor performance...

Minder

Lawrences eadibg for that piece was "Victory is sweeter when it is least expected"

That is correct Lawrence, 1/5 shots Antrim were not expected to beat Carlow

Hurler on the Bitch

The lad Barry McFall was a good 'un from u16 level - good to see him get a run out. Hard to tell how the season will pan out as in my view it is all about being ready come June, July. Cahill never saw the league as anything other than a puckabout. As I said, I have faith that Dinny will have the best 15 on the day - forget the Ulster Final by the way as we need a good southern scalp. Ps - are Limerick or Wexford due Casement way this year?