Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

having played in the Non Starred games when Dinny was in charge i found it annoying that smaller clubs (like ourselves) had players that were not available. even the subs/panel players were unavailable and warmed the bench all year without playing a match!!

lets crack on this year, lets improve the local game. Rossa seemed to be turning the corner again and will be a force soon, good juveniles coming through St Johns and Gorts. Dunloy proving they have not gone away and Loughgiel will always be there. Ballycastle need to turn some of that young talent into stars and we should have a vibrant club scene.

By all accounts the players enjoyed the sessions with Dinny and he brought on a lot of players, unlucky in two q'finals but improvements had been made. The third year the ARSE fell out of it and we were left to pick up the pieces.

Lets wait and see what Dinny has in store first before we berate him
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Two Hands FFS

Regarding the leagues we have the same conversations all the time. How we need to play competitive matches on a regular basis. To improve the quality of the leagues everybody has to take responsibility.Maybe I'm living in a dream world but here goes.....
1. County Manager - The problem with Dinny when he was his manager previously was that due to his travelling that the players trained Tues, Fri, Sat & Sunday Morning. This meant the players were very rarely seen by the clubs. The Antrim team should only train Tues & Thurs, & either Sat or Sunday. If there is a club match on Sunday....do a light training with County on Sat. 3 Days a weeks is plenty...quality not quantity.  Don't pressure players to miss a game. Don't need wrapped in Cotton Wool

2. County Players - Treat these games seriously.  It's an honour  to play for your club..don't treat it as an inconvience to your county season. Use it as a way to get into good form & stay sharp. Supporters come to see you, young players look up to you. Set an example.

3. Clubs - If you know you're not going to have a match for 2/3 weeks during the summer...contact one of the other teams in the league & arrange a match for a suitable date.(Bring forward a match arranged for Oct/Nov). There is only 2 dual clubs in Div 1...nothing stopping you playing when there is a football weekend. No pathetic excuses any more for calling matches off. Make sure games are treated properly (see below).  Better matches =better crowds=better revenue for clubs

4Club Managers/Players. - Take the league seriously. Winning is a good habit. Blood youngsters but blood them sensibly, not in a team there just to make up the numbers/or going through the motions to fulfil fixtures. If Dinny seen a match on a Sunday where his players were messing about/hungover playing in a glorifed Challenge match could you blame him for stopping county players play for their clubs. Players stay off the drink the night before a match..it's only one night.

5. Finally the County Board. They always say that the clubs want to play with their county players. The County Board say this may not be possible during the summer.  You always hear from the GAA/ County Boards that the club is the most  Important thing...which is bullshit. The County Board want their county teams to do well & their centre of excellence to be build.  If they had that they would be delighted.  Dr John has his legacy( Footballers in Ulster Final/ Dunsilly/ Hurlers in Leinster).In his convention report he said we need to fundraise..they'll need the clubs for this. There is no long term plan. They need to see that players need to play regular matches.  People won't go to watch matches if Cushendall /Dunloy play Loughgiel/Ballycastle minus county players.  Better quality matches result in better quality hurlers for our county team.

The league structures are grand, I understand the CCC have a near impossible job re fixtures. 8 team division's are good. Milltown..you want 2 up 2 down..propose this at your Club AGM...get it passed, bring it to the Convention.  What about getting a sponsor for the leagues. Prize Money for the winners..that could into the players fund..weekend away for the players. Not just Division 1 either.

Rant over  :P  :P Constructive Criticism I think??

theskull1

I think so too. Try that post on Antrim Admin though two hands and you'll get a very different response. Prepare to be ridiculed
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

2 up 2 down makes the leagues competitive, throw in play offs so at the business end of things we will have mini championship games. this will give club players reasons to train right to the end of the year.

our AGM is next week (i think) so i'll ask again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Lads,
I think we are all after the same thing here:
Competitive clubs structures with all players available as often as possible
Good training structures for our county teams so they can be successful
Increased competition for the senior championship

Two threads to makes these happen, clubs being realistic and putting more effort into their underage structures and devloping a better player long term, not this short termism of winning u12 u14 u16's and then nothing (ala St Johns). Clubs also committing to playing their games at the right time of the year during the summer and not looking for excuses to postpone games for stupid non reasons.

Secondly the county set up have to realise that without a competitive club system we will slip further behind in the all Ireland scene. So it is their responsibility to fix the games for the clubs at times when the clubs will be able to play them, they wont over load the players with ridiculous training schedules as skull pointed out (It was simple fact that the players trained Friday Saturday Sunday last time around anyone who claims anything else is a liar). They will set in stone the league structures so that there is no debate at the end of each season as to what is going to happen re promotion relegation.

the colonel

someone posted on county site about some of the suggestions here. Skull you seem to have classes as the clown!!
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Happy New Year lads

What the story with the Antrim set up at the minute are the still trailing or is there a more permanent squad put together for training purposes yet?

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: NAG1 on January 05, 2010, 01:31:08 PM
Happy New Year lads

What the story with the Antrim set up at the minute are the still trailing or is there a more permanent squad put together for training purposes yet?
They had meeting on Friday night, trained on Saturday, done a series of fitness tests & then trained again on Sunday. Few boys have returned including Tosh & the prodigal son

NAG1

If he didnt rate tosh the first time around why would he this time?

the colonel

Tosh played the whole time under Dinny from what I remember. It was when S&W who decided to not use him. Martin Scullion also another one back. Few young faces in amongst the panel. Couple from clubs like Cloughmills and Armoy I think.

No Sean D who seems to have no intentions of playing. From our point of view having only 4 players suits us, but Karl might make a return yet. Apparently Johnny Campbell was giving it a go but the ankle doesn't seem right and might have ruled himself out for the meanwhile.

NAG1

Think we all know the reasons behind the MS recall and it aint on performances in recent times!

Who was it put Tosh on in a match as a sub and took him off again NHL game in Casement if my memory serves me correctly?

the colonel

Whats that reason NAG?

not sure about tosh in that league game?

Watson will still be committed to DC so will be interesting to see how this pans out

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on January 06, 2010, 12:16:30 PM
Tosh played the whole time under Dinny from what I remember. It was when S&W who decided to not use him. Martin Scullion also another one back. Few young faces in amongst the panel. Couple from clubs like Cloughmills and Armoy I think.

No Sean D who seems to have no intentions of playing. From our point of view having only 4 players suits us, but Karl might make a return yet. Apparently Johnny Campbell was giving it a go but the ankle doesn't seem right and might have ruled himself out for the meanwhile.

He didn't Colonel. He didn't play him so he packed it in and Dinny called round to his house to get him to come back, told him he was an integral part of his plans etc. then didn't play him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

NAG1

Thanks Minder I thought i was losing my memory there for a while.
The reason being dinny's close relationship with loughgiel and one family there in particular. Not a major step forward really is it, or an injection of fresh blood?