Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Just got to read all the posts. Happy days a win gives us a bit to talk about. A win is a win in my book. Effort was stepped up from Sunday, in patches there was good play. We should have won by alot more as well.

One swallow is not going to make the summer (or any summer for the next wee while) but there is room for improvement again and again if they are willing to put it in.

Here goes briefly:

McGarry - 8 - solid, good puck outs, and decent save near the end (was straight at him but still did well) Good distribution from short puck outs but arguably he was able to puck the ball out as far as his defenders were doing after receiving it

Barney - 6 - not his best game, did drop a couple of balls but he was out in front and did clear a few balls when he got them. Kettle should have been in when he was in trouble. Would have been in more trouble if his man had received more supply

Mickey McC - 7 - solid enough, no much action to be honest but did well.

Sean Delargy - 6/7 did well I thought. Maybe overcarried the ball a couple of times but did well on what was clearly their danger man. That No.13 for Dublin is one to watch, great frees, sidelines and striking and when soloing he pulled away from Delargy. Not many do that.

Molloy - 7 - solid, great in patches, a few big catches and made a couple of good clearances at the end of the 1st half.

Campbell - 6 - a wee bit anonymous alright, maybe as Karl was covering for him. Not jumping on this get campbell off the team bandwagon as he is there or thereabouts but would have him as first defender sub.

Herron - 8 1/2 - best player on the field, brilliant clearances, strong tackles. Back to the Herron of the Dinny era which we need.

Karl - 7 1/2 did well, cleared a few balls in between midfield and half back. A few wrong decisions (short free/sideline to Shields) but overall played well. Should be centre half back.

Brendan Herron - 6 - a bit anonymous but his man

Michael Herron - 7 - good second half having been behind his man a few times first half

Neil McManus - 8 - great performance. Strong on the ball, good shooting. Admittedly his decision making sometimes wasn't the best. Overcarried and when he did make the decision to pass it was too late or his handpass was weak. Good stuff though and if they are persisting using him in the forward line he could turn into a decent centre half....something Antrim have been lacking for a long time

Karl Stewart - 6 1/2 Anonymous for the main but did battle

McFall - 6 - agree with ALL said before. A bit of a pre madonna and he should have been taken off earlier. Was behind his man at ALL points largely. Great frees, though a couple missed but to act the way he did when being taken off was a joke. He needs to have a look at himself. There is a strong panel of boys training, he wasn;t doing it. Take it on the chin and move on. The rating drops to a 4 if that story about him taking a penalty off his knees is true.

Richmond - 6 1/2 - showed well enough, was quite strong on the ball and set up a couple of scores. Paddy can score from anywhere generally but last night in the first half he took two shots from the left sideline which went wide. Best performance in a wee while for me

Shields - 7 - did well. His ability did get him out of scrapes a few times. He does look like a child out there. I am not sure what the solution is. Skull I understand this talk of 'ruining him' but he is worth his place on the team, he proved that last night. Having been away for a while I never saw his progression as a juvenile but he certainly could be some player. People say he is more of a midfielder and he certainly needs to bulk up a fair bit...physical training with the county might do that?

McAuley and Tosh...not on long enough..well maybe they were but I have written enough.

FREE TAKING
Completely agree with whoever spoke of 4/5 free takers. Decisions have to be made and stuck with. Eg Molloy hits long range non scorable frees from the right and Herron from the left - or Herron both. Any scorable ones should be McFall (if he can steady his head after the amount of shaking he was doing of it on being taken off) or Tosh. Shields is an option as well.
A bit of a farce when a different man steps up to take it each time.
We should have got 3/4/5 points from long range.

On another note about Shields it'll be nearly half time in their soccer final. Takes me back and makes me feel old.
Played in that same final for the same school 8 years ago - was the only game I cried after (I have been close on a number of occasions!!) last kick of extra time beat us.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2007, 01:26:56 PM

McFall's attitude has always stank. This is the boy who in a club match, when winning by a cricket score against GNM, hit a penalty from down on his knees. That says it all really.

I've seen McFall on his knees during a game in Corrigan before but it wasn't to take a penalty..
;)

youngfella

would pinky kelly be a good CHF?? hes a strong looking fella
Pull hard and early

podge

Glensman, glad someone else agrees with me about the ludicrous siutation of 5 boys taking 1 free each from 70 yards.  You wouldn;t see it at club level.  To my mind, one the managers shouldhave stepped in and given a clear instruction.  If a man misses 2/3 then fair enough, get another man on the task..

Pretty much agree with the ratings.  A few people think mc manus should be moved back but I think we have a lack of good forwards and plenty of backs.  He is one who seems to be able to play up front and I think we should persist with that.

Now that winker has shot the nest, Tosh, Richmond and McManus are prob our 3 best up front.  In my mind the other 3 forward spots are up for grabs.  M Herron is up there challenging.

Personally, would like to see Nipper quinn/Shane Mc N get a chance but that doesn;t seem likley.  K Stewart has prob put himself dwon the pecking order in the last two outings.

Tony Baloney

Syd etc. haven't much to say for themselves today after last nights heroic victory! Maybe he wasn't at the match again!  :-*

youngfella

there in the trunk of my car i'm doing 90, ive jst done a 1/5 of vodka....
Pull hard and early

mightysaffrons

no tony he has his free pass course he was there!! he just likes given it the bit and yapping!! one of these hate the worlds i say!! must pain him to give a bit of praise!!lol what bout that dirty hoor mc manus syd???;)

youngfella

hes a hateful hoor mc manus as well as a dirty one! did he play hurling or act the big lad ?
Pull hard and early

North Antrim

Young Fella

you wudnt say that to mcmanus!!!

Was at game. Its amazin what can be achieved with the right attitude! Thought Herron was exceptional. However its one thing beating dublin, Woody and Sambo will ONLY get credit when the BEAT a BIG TEAM e.g. Limerick this Sunday. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

youngfella

Have said too him and play alongside him. he roasted me and near took my head off. he is both dirty and hateful but he is also a very good hurler. In my humble opinion hippy donnelly is his equal, but he's even dirtier but strong as an ox.
Anyone mind that article in the anytown news that fella ainle o'coalline wrote during dinnys reign? That lad wasnt a bad hurler and would just be ripe age for a county call up... could he slove are forward problem or should we cast are minds north. what that fella dimm dimm from loughgiel like?
Pull hard and early

Ruairi Og exile

Not gonna respond to the comments re Neil cos he's friend of mine.But Young fella, are you serious about Ainle & Dim Dim??Ainle was an alrite club hurler but not good enough. But Dim Dim are you having a laugh :D. He played against Cushendall in the County final last year, now I've watched the DVD a few times now(Well the second half  ;D) & I cant remember him hitting the ball once...no where near good enough!!

slow corner back

With regard to the lack of scoring forwards we suffer from why was Joe Scullion dropped from the panel? He is young tall and a good score getter. He is maybe a bit light but he is probably still under 21. As someone said earlier Pinky could do a job at CHF but once again we are converting a defender to make up for a lack of quality forwards.

Ruairi Og exile

Yeah real lack of forwards, as Podge said earlier Richmond,Tosh & McManus are prob best 3 forwards, then there is places available. Think Joey Scullion was injured & maybe the door was left open for him...can anyone confirm?? He definately could be worked with, but he does go missing in big games & doesnt like the physical side of the game. Winker is a miss, but if he goes on the piss rather than hurling then we're better off without him

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: mightysaffrons on March 29, 2007, 06:57:42 PM
no tony he has his free pass course he was there!! he just likes given it the bit and yapping!! one of these hate the worlds i say!! must pain him to give a bit of praise!!lol what bout that dirty hoor mc manus syd???;)

Was there any oppurtunity to give praise before last night? There is still a long way to go judging on last nights performance and some of the managements decisions baffle me. As for Mc Manus i know him and he is a good lad and i was glad to see him playing well, in time i think he will be converted to defence, he took the wrong option  a few times but he always gives you a full effort. I think the present midfield of Karl Mc Keegan and Brendan Herron is a bit ropey, but i dont agree with the campaign to get Mc Keegan back to CHB, he is far too loose on his man and lets his man hurl too much.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Ruairi Og exile

Syd...who would you play in centre half?? Not being cheeky just asking your opinion