Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bredaghgael86

Has any club ever come close to winning both, or won both senior hurling and football in the same year?

clootfromthe21

I'd say both the Johnnies and Rossa have done it on loads of occasions, but not since the 70s at the latest.

Don't think anyone else has competed seriously in both at the same time - Dunloy winning football titles in the 30s and hurling in the 90s to date would be the only other club that has done both, although come to think of it dont Sarsfields have one hurling title and a good few football titles to their name?

maxpower

Dunloy got to the semi finals of the senior football championship quite a few times in the 90's when we had that super hurling team too.  Very close to beating Cargin over in Rasharkin one very wet day.  And before the great St Galls dynasty anyone could have won a SFC if they got a good run.

Some of our hurlers are also excellent footballers, particularly the two O'Kanes, Patch, Mal Molloy and Niggy Elliott

In those days football training in Dunloy was completely unheard off (except poss the week of a game), now football training is given more time and as a result very few players can commit to both
What happens next????

aontroim

St. John's were the last team to win both Senior C'ships in the same year - back in 1969.

List of winners (up to 2006) here: http://antrim.gaa.ie/history/senior-championship-winners/

the colonel

Hangover just wore off

no defending our lads from Sunday. Poor display and dont really agree with the thoughts of those who said we thought we only had to run up. That would be disrepectful to Dunloy. We were confident of a win, but just didn't perform, however if would had taken one or two of the goal chances in the first 10 minutes, it could have been a better game.

Fair play to Dunloy, fully deserved and all the best in Ulster
the difference between success and failure is energy

Peggy

why would anyone from cushendall be hiding?? ??? because they were beat in 1championship final out of the last 4 theyve been in? sure if that was the case the shamrocks would never be able to speak!
Dunloy gave a performance on sunday that was worthy of winning our county championship and done so....Cushendall didnt turn up on the day and it wasnt a case of under estimating Dunloy, there is just no excuse..... post mortem monday is over, the better team won.  Good Luck to Dunloy in Ulster.

Nemo

Quote from: Peggy on October 01, 2009, 04:22:35 AM
why would anyone from cushendall be hiding?? ??? because they were beat in 1championship final out of the last 4 theyve been in? sure if that was the case the shamrocks would never be able to speak!
Dunloy gave a performance on sunday that was worthy of winning our county championship and done so....Cushendall didnt turn up on the day and it wasnt a case of under estimating Dunloy, there is just no excuse..... post mortem monday is over, the better team won.  Good Luck to Dunloy in Ulster.

i would have to agree with that peggy, Dunloy hurled out of their skins and Cushendall didnt turn up. but then again it was Minder who posted it and he is the forum idiot after all.

overall a poor championship IMO though, standard really needs to get better.

theskull1

For Cushendall maybe, but in that regard would you not say that last years was worse for youse when you consider your run in the championship. You can only beat whats put in front of you I know...but last year was an easy championship for the dall I think you'd agree?

I wouldn't say it was a bad championship from our side of the draw. Although I'd agree we didn't play well in both the quarters and semi's, they were two difficult matches and games we could have lost. That was a good build up for us. I think we're too sore on ourselves sometimes when we talk about the evenness of standards up here when you look at the situation in other counties. The reality is that there is only 2-3 clubs in most counties in any one year who will win the county title. Every club should be striving to improve the quality of their teams and I think clubs are starting to push on a bit but we're no different to everyone else at the minute when it comes to looking for a top dog.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Nemo

i would somewhat agree with that skull

i am talking about the standard of games, overall i didnt see a good game in the champioship this year. the quality of hurling in all the games i watched was overall poor to say the least.

i dont mean to take anything away from your win, it was well deserved on the day.

ps - im not from Cushendall btw.

theskull1

I think theres some confusion when were talking about the "standard of games".

The standard of hurling generally is technically of a higher standard than it was 20/30 years ago and Antrim (through osmosis) has improved as a result of those improvements nationally. Take a look at GAA Beo some night and it's plain to see
Fitness levels are higher (faster, better endurance)

I think theres a rose tinted spectacles element in those who cliam that games in the 80's for instance were of a better standard. Today expectations are higher and people want to see entertaining high quality hurling as much as they want their teams to win but back in the day I'd say hurling was seen with, shall we say, less discerning eyes. As far as I can see the game is as healthy now (in terms of the playing population) as it ever was but we could do so much more to improve our lot.

The game on Sunday was as good a hurling performance from Dunloy than any I've seen over the years

north aontroim gael

Have to agree with you Skull.  Some of the hurling Dunloy played on Sunday was the best I have seen in the past 3-4 years in Antrim.  Their link up play was unreal at times and Cushendall couldn't live with it.

Obviously favourites to win Ulster now but plans on another assault on Croke Park given how close Cushendall came last year?

Minder

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 01, 2009, 11:55:42 AM
Have to agree with you Skull.  Some of the hurling Dunloy played on Sunday was the best I have seen in the past 3-4 years in Antrim.  Their link up play was unreal at times and Cushendall couldn't live with it.

Obviously favourites to win Ulster now but plans on another assault on Croke Park given how close Cushendall came last year?

The problem with the AI semi this year it will be most likely be Ballyhale Shamrocks as opposition, provided they get through Ulster.

EDIT- It will be Portumna as Dunloy played Leinster opposition (Birr) two years ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Whitehair

Quote from: Minder on October 01, 2009, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 01, 2009, 11:55:42 AM

The problem with the AI semi this year it will be most likely be Ballyhale Shamrocks as opposition, provided they get through Ulster.

Would Paul Shiels be back for the All Ire semi if they come through Ulster?

theskull1

Shorty would be no where near ready at that time of year. He has a long road rehab wise ahead of him before he even thinks about hurling again. No better man to work at it in the right way though. I hope the operation was a success

Last Man

Here's one, hopefully Dunloy will progress to an AI semi final to take place in Feb 2010,  Paddy, Nancy, Kevin M and Ally will have to take to the field in their new shiny Mycros. I hope Santa comes early for they could take a while to get used to it.